The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Nellis Air Force Base package by MAIW: Part II

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Nellis Air Force Base package by MAIW: Part II

Post by MIKE JG »

Please use this thread for all non crash to desktop related issues for the MAIW Nellis AFB package:
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Nellis Air Force Base Package by MAIW: Part II

Post by MIKE JG »

This is a great little tip that was sent to me by MAIW user "Trim_Tab" regarding the mismatch in the FS9 menu selection window between the ICAO code and airport location.

Currently with the package installed, if you type in "KLSV" it will load to one of the Nellis runways but in the FS9 selection window it may say, "Nellis AI Ground Routes" (or something close to that, can't remember right now).

Trim_Tab has come up with the solution to this IF you DO NOT want to see this mismatch in these windows:

All that needs to be done is to make the "MAIW_AF2_LSV1_Custom.bgl" Airport Reference & Tower Viewpoint Properties the same as the MAIW_AF2_KLSV_Custom.bgl... I.E both should read as follows,... leave everything else as is... just make the Airport Reference & Tower Viewpoint Properties of both AFCAD's the same.

It should work just fine, as long as the ICAO's remain different it will have no adverse effect on AI function.

[Airport Reference Properties]
Latitude: N36* 14.1700'
Longitude: W115* 2.0500'
Elevation: 1868.00
Magnetic Variation: 12.6

[Tower View Properties]
Latitude: N36* 14.1141'
Longitude: W115* 1.6260'
Elevation: 1973.00

=======================================================================

***Note this is not an officially endorsed MAIW tweak since we have not tested it for errors so change these values at your own risk.

When I designed the scenery I intentionally placed the tower viewpoint for the LSV1 afcad file at the little "spotter's tower" that sits in between the two runways. I did this so that you automatically have a second tower view to spot from without having to go into the Map function and move it manually. This provides a nice, low to the ground view that simulates you standing between the two runways. BTW, the LSV0 afcad also has its own tower view point. So if you want to preserve that, you should not alter the properties of the LSV1 afcad file. If however that mismatch drives you nuts, give Trim_Tab's solution a try. :wink:
-Mike G.

DLWoolfie
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FS9

Post by DLWoolfie »

Sirs
Not sure what this error is but when i Boot up FS9 i Get this Error Msg SCENERY.CFG file error local scenery directory\MAIW\ Nellis AFB (KLSV)\ Alternate Ground Files\SCENERY\ in scenery area.245 not found
it says Click okay to continue and I see the Scenery Fine. Just have that error when i start up FS9
can You help me correct This ?

Thank you

DLWoolfie
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Did you by chance, remove the folder "Alternate Scenery Files" from the main MAIW Nellis AFB (KLSV) folder? If so you might try going back into your settings menu, scenery library, deactivating the Nellis scenery, closing FS9, starting FS9, reactivating the Nellis scenery, and finally rebooting.

My guess is that you might have removed this folder AFTER you initially activated the scenery and FS9 is seeing that a folder is missing. I would think if you just go through the activation procedure once again, it should be fine.
-Mike G.

DLWoolfie
Cadet
Cadet

Post by DLWoolfie »

MIKE JG wrote:Did you by chance, remove the folder "Alternate Scenery Files" from the main MAIW Nellis AFB (KLSV) folder? If so you might try going back into your settings menu, scenery library, deactivating the Nellis scenery, closing FS9, starting FS9, reactivating the Nellis scenery, and finally rebooting.

My guess is that you might have removed this folder AFTER you initially activated the scenery and FS9 is seeing that a folder is missing. I would think if you just go through the activation procedure once again, it should be fine.

No Did not remove the folder, Rebooted the CPU and even Deleted it and Reinstalled it still gives me same Error Msg
DLWoolfie
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by KevinJarvis »

DLWoolfie wrote:Sirs
Not sure what this error is but when i Boot up FS9 i Get this Error Msg SCENERY.CFG file error local scenery directory\MAIW\ Nellis AFB (KLSV)\ Alternate Ground Files\SCENERY\ in scenery area.245 not found
it says Click okay to continue and I see the Scenery Fine. Just have that error when i start up FS9
can You help me correct This ?

Thank you

DLWoolfie
You need to delete area 245. This can be done by simply deleting it from the scenery cfg file or thru the sims scenery library.

The original entry which the sim assigned 245 to has either been moved or altered in some way. This is why you get this error message.

I use an old program called FlightSim Manager that automatically fixes all scenery issues with the touch of a button.

You can find it at Flightsim.
Kevin Jarvis

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The message is one of those rare things that it is telling you exactly what it means
SCENERY.CFG file error local scenery directory\MAIW\ Nellis AFB (KLSV)\ Alternate Ground Files\SCENERY\ in scenery area.245 not found
is saying that you have activated the Alternative ground files folder in FS9 and it can't find the scenery sub folder in that folder.

The reason is that there isn't one. That folder should not be activated just the \MAIW\ Nellis AFB (KLSV) one. The alternative textures you are supposed to copy, as per readme, IF you meet the certain requirements.
Steve
awj112
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by awj112 »

Is there a map available to identify what parking numbers are located where? The only locations I have been able to pin down are the Jolly Pad, East (sort of) and the Northern parking spots (sort of).
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

The spots on the west side are either going to be "RFP" for Red Flag Parking, left uncoded for transient parking or given a squadron code such as "422T" for a specific Nellis based unit.

If you have AFCAD you can use the list feature to show each parking spot's properties. You can then sort them by any one of those properties.
-Mike G.

Madjeff84
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Madjeff84 »

Can somebody tell me why the Thunderbirds are not showing and flying around nellis afb???
all other aircraft are there but not the thunderbirds :cry:

Grtz,

Jeff
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

What day are you looking for them? If it's Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday, they're out of town at an airshow. At least that's the way the flightplans are written to simulate their real life season schedule.
-Mike G.

Madjeff84
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Madjeff84 »

thamk you that is one problem solved.
what is the local time they're going to fly??
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Monday is a day off for them, even simulated pilots need their rest. :wink:

Tuesdays and Wednesdays they practice in the mornings. On Wednesday, Thunderbird 8 leaves in the morning for KOSH. On Thursday TBirds1-6 leave in the morning for KOSH, followed shortly by TBird7. TBirds 7 and 8 fly local media hops at KOSH over the weekend and the whole team returns on Sunday evening.
-Mike G.

ExNusquam

Post by ExNusquam »

Ok, I found the Easter Egg, and it works beautifully. The readme says there are 35 areas. I think I have found 3. Any hints on where else to look? How far out should I be looking?

Thanks!

-Joseph

*Intentionally vague for those who haven't found it yet.
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Nellis Air Force Base package by MAIW: Part II

Post by zsoltfireman »

MAIW Nellis AFB
Why do I see this? :oops:
What happened? :?
There are no roads :cry:

Please Help Me!

Zsolt
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

Zsolt;
You didn't know there are just "dirt" runways at Nellis ?
:smt005 :smt005 :lol: :smt044

No, really I think it's because of some installed Area 51 scenery.
I believe there was some discussion about this problem at the beginning of the original support thread for Nellis.
http://www.militaryaiworks.com/newforum ... 8&start=20
Joe
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zsoltfireman »

Joecoastie wrote:Zsolt;
You didn't know there are just "dirt" runways at Nellis ?
:smt005 :smt005 :lol: :smt044

No, really I think it's because of some installed Area 51 scenery.
I believe there was some discussion about this problem at the beginning of the original support thread for Nellis.
http://www.militaryaiworks.com/newforum ... 8&start=20
Joe

Hi Joe, :lol:

Thanks! helped!
I am grateful to you!
Alphasim disturbed landscapes!

Regards,

Zsolt :smt006
Bone
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Bone »

Has anyone modified the Nellis runways and taxiways to remove the photoscenery that is around them. I'm using the Blue Sky photo scenery, and it has a much higher resolution that would be nice to see.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

You can do that very easily on your own, I made the scenery with this in mind.

You need to remove the files from MAIW Nellis AFB (KLSV)/Scenery folder that have the term "photo" in them.

I'm not at home so I can't look them up but if you remove those files, that should get rid of them and let you see the Blue Sky scenery underneath.
-Mike G.

Bone
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Bone »

MIKE JG wrote:You can do that very easily on your own, I made the scenery with this in mind.

You need to remove the files from MAIW Nellis AFB (KLSV)/Scenery folder that have the term "photo" in them.

I'm not at home so I can't look them up but if you remove those files, that should get rid of them and let you see the Blue Sky scenery underneath.
I removed the files that contained "photo" in them, but many parts of the base still has the MAIW Nellis package photoscenery. I did remove a file that uncovered the Blue Sky scenery completely, but unfortunately the runway, taxiways, and ramp areas were in that file also. There is a readme in the Nellis package that says you need to use ADE9 to remove the photoscenery completely, but I don't know how to use it, and was hoping someone has already done it.