The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Nellis Air Force Base package by MAIW: Part II

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: Nellis Air Force Base package by MAIW: Part II

Post by MIKE JG »

These are the files that I recommend you remove:

MAIW_Nellis_Photo_Background_Library.bgl
MAIW_Nellis_Scenery_Objects_Overruns.bgl

That should get rid of any photo based ground objects that I made/placed.

Then it sounds like you need to do some editing to the KLSV afcad file to remove many of the apron areas and roads that I placed using afcad. Those will always sit on top of your photo scenery layer no matter what you do to the rest of the files. If you open up the KLSV afcad file you will see that there are hundreds of individual apron polygons that make up that file.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Bone
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by Bone »

MIKE JG wrote:These are the files that I recommend you remove:

MAIW_Nellis_Photo_Background_Library.bgl
MAIW_Nellis_Scenery_Objects_Overruns.bgl

That should get rid of any photo based ground objects that I made/placed.

Then it sounds like you need to do some editing to the KLSV afcad file to remove many of the apron areas and roads that I placed using afcad. Those will always sit on top of your photo scenery layer no matter what you do to the rest of the files. If you open up the KLSV afcad file you will see that there are hundreds of individual apron polygons that make up that file.
OK, thanks. I don't mind the roads you put in, and I never tried removing the "overruns" file, so I'll give it a shot
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

These files will modify the custom scenery at the Tonopah Test Range airfield, TNX by adding 5 open hangars amongst the rows and rows of closed hangars known as the "canyons"

There are two scenery files and two texture files, including an updated AFD file for TNX.

For the files that end with the .bgl extension, place them inside your "MAIW Nevada Test and Traning Range/Scenery" folder, allow them to overwrite the old files.

Place the two texture files that end with .bmp into your "MAIW Nevada Test and Traning Range/Texture" folder.

The NTTR scenery was a bonus file included inside the main MAIW Nellis AFB package in case you do not know.
Attachments
MAIW_NTTR_Scenery_Updates.zip
(451.32 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
-Mike G.

Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

I remember when this package came out there was issues with CTD at dusk and dawn when you were at the Nellis scenery. Was there ever a fix for that? (I never got around to installing this package)
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

I never got around to installing this package
Shame on you! LOL!

We never came up with the actual cause of this CTD.

If you want to load up a flight at Nellis at dusk or dawn, the "fix" is to disable Dawn/Dusk texture blending from your FS9 Display settings. Once the flight loads up, you can then re-enable Dawn/Dusk texture blending.

I really wish I could figure out what the issue is but it's just one of those FS things. We do know that the issue is related to using custom made ground textures for the scenery around Nellis and out in the NTTR. Beyond that, it still has us stumped to this day.
-Mike G.

Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

I remember the disable Dawn/Dusk texture blending quick fix. But thought there might of been a permanent fix found.
phantomfreak
Major
Major

Post by phantomfreak »

Tried flying around Nellis today and discovered I had no apron or runways. A few days ago I noticed I had an afcad of KLSV that was not part of the package and removed it, long story short I finally figured out how to get all my addons to show up. This is the only one that I know of that is doing this. The scenery has the "shadows" of where the ramp, taxiways, and runways should be. The AI works just fine. The ground is a little bumpy taking off in a cessna, though.

A couple of other things not related to the military ai, maybe one is; decided to make an approach into McCarran to check the scenery and I have an ai basically dive into the ground in front of me. Kamikazee for AI? Also I'm wondering if the airport altitude could be set to high as I watched a 737 make contact with the ground well before the runway. PAPI never should the proper glideslope until almost touchdown. I did fly it high, however the lights never transitioned as I got closer.

Been a little busy this evening.
Bazinga!
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Sounds like you have elevation issues. This usually can be traced back to add on terrain mesh.

What sort of third part scenery besides the MAIW Nellis scenery do you have activated for that area?
-Mike G.

phantomfreak
Major
Major

Post by phantomfreak »

None other than the Nellis package and and afcad for McCarran airport.
Bazinga!
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

If you put an aircraft down right in the middle of Nellis AFB, what is the elevation that it shows in game??
-Mike G.

phantomfreak
Major
Major

Post by phantomfreak »

1871.6 ft - 1871.9 ft
Bazinga!
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

You don't have any AlphaSim scenery installed for Area 51 or Tonopah do you?
-Mike G.

phantomfreak
Major
Major

Post by phantomfreak »

I do, I guess that could be the problem.
Bazinga!
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Probably. These AS sceneries for Nevada for some reason, screw with any other nearby sceneries that you have installed. Don't uninstall them, just uncheck them in your scenery library to disable them and then check back at Nellis.
-Mike G.

phantomfreak
Major
Major

Post by phantomfreak »

Thanks! That fixed the issue. I have the Area 51 (Groom Lake) and the Tonopah Test Range from Alphasim. Forgot about the Tonopah til I checked the scenery files.
Bazinga!
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

I'm not sure why their sceneries do that. There is a far superior version of Tonopah that is part of the easter egg hidden inside the Nellis package. :wink:

There are several other freeware versions of Area 51 that are also much better than the AS version. You can run all those together with the Nellis scenery without any issues.
-Mike G.

MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Just noticed this today......... :oops:

Well as someone who prides himself in spelling things correctly this one is a bit embarrassing.......

Can't believe no one has pointed this out but as you might notice in the picture, I misspelled the word "warfare" in the texture for this sign.

So here's the two texture files you need that will correct this. These go inside of the MAIW Nellis AFB (KLSV)/Texture folder and they should be allowed to overwrite the original versions.
Attachments
MAIW_Nellis_Scenery_Textures.zip
(347.62 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Spelling Oops.jpg
-Mike G.

Bone
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Bone »

Is there a mesh that would work out best with the Bluesky scenery? I thought I would ask here since the Nellis package was designed to work with it. I'm getting quite a few areas of the Bluesky photo scenery that are unstable. BTW, I'm using the stock FS9 mesh.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

For the longest time, I was using the freeware FS Genisis 38m mesh for that part of the country, that seemed to work well with the BS photoscenery.

I have recently installed the payware 19m FSG mesh and now I have a plateau problem that I need to sort out.

When I made the scenery, I was using the 38m mesh and made the flatten file for the base off of that digital elevation mesh.

So you might try that if you don't already have it. However, the BS scenery shouldn't affect your mesh, it should simply lay on top of it, whatever you have installed.
-Mike G.

Bone
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Bone »

MIKE JG wrote:
I have recently installed the payware 19m FSG mesh and now I have a plateau problem that I need to sort out.

That would answer a question I've had. I have the Nellis and BS scenery installed in both FS9 and FSX. All of the other MAIW packages that I have dual installed have the same field elevation in both FS9 and FSX, but the Nellis field elevation is lower in FS9 than it is in FSX. I've experimented and tried the default Nellis and surounding area in FS9, and it goes back to the same elevation as FSX. It's only about 4 feet of difference, but when I make an FSrecording in FSX and then use that recording in FS9, the planes are levitating about 4 feet off of the ground.