The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Planning AI flight plans

Post all your development discussions here that don't fit into any of the above categories.
Dave Waffler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Planning AI flight plans

Post by Dave Waffler »

I've used Rip's AI flight plan spreadsheet for some flight plans that I've made up for a couple of years now, and love this tool.But I'm kind of confused about something that is happening, and wonder if anybody else who's used this has seen this.

I'm trying to make some flight plans for C-17 out of McChord. I have the bases put in that I want the tool to randomly use, and then I set everything up and then run it. The tool makes the plans okay, but one thing I noticed with this set. It never used a single base in the Pacific ( Japan, Hawaii, Korea, Alaska.....). But, it will send planes to the Caribbean, Europe and South America.

So I tried some troubleshooting. I tried changing the probabilities of the bases, giving them more than any other ones. I even got rid of the European, Caribbean and South American loactions. Even with those bases removed, it did manage to use two of the bases, but the majority of the flights stayed in the US. I even made the maximum range larger (up to 6000NM), but still it would not use the Pacific bases.

I then changed the main base to Anderson in Guam, and bang it started using them. So then I moved them to Hickam, and it went back to barely using them, sending planes more to the mainland and even Europe and South America.

Have any of you noticed this when using this tool? And if you have were you able to do anything about it, other than just taking and putting just Pacific bases in the list of bases to be used.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Re: Planning AI flight plans

Post by bismarck »

Never used in that part of the world. May be a problem whit the line where date changes?

Giorgio
Dave Waffler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dave Waffler »

That's kind of what I though too, so I tried a couple of things with the time zones, but the spreadsheet kept correcting them!!!!
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

You don't have any hidden rows in Excel with these bases selected do you?
Mark
Dave Waffler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dave Waffler »

Nope, none at all
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

What your saying happens is not possible with the given macro as it knows no airfields other than what you enter in the field area. So I have no idea how your copy of this spreadsheet is managing it. I would suggest downloading a fresh copy and trying again.
Mark
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by RKE »

As useful as the FP Generator is, this is why I've reverted to manually flightplanning things with a regular spreadsheet for everything more than the most basic of flightplans. Takes a bit longer, but it does give you so much more control with what each airframe is doing.
Dave Waffler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dave Waffler »

campbeme wrote:What your saying happens is not possible with the given macro as it knows no airfields other than what you enter in the field area. So I have no idea how your copy of this spreadsheet is managing it. I would suggest downloading a fresh copy and trying again.
Trust me, I'm an IT guy, and I didn't think something like that would happen either, that's why I tried changing the timezone number to something that might be a little more tolerable for the airports to be picked from. I tried it a couple of different ways, and I watched the numbers on the time zone change right after I hit the ALT+F8. I would look back after it ran the macro to make the flight plans, and it was showing the original numbers I had there before I changed them.

RKE wrote:As useful as the FP Generator is, this is why I've reverted to manually flightplanning things with a regular spreadsheet for everything more than the most basic of flightplans. Takes a bit longer, but it does give you so much more control with what each airframe is doing.
Ya, I think that's what I going to do, go back to the way I used to make them before I used this tool. I have another way of doing it, guess I will go back to that way
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

I'd still try a fresh copy of the spreadsheet, just to rule out yours being corrupted somehow. I have used this tool for every MAIW package I produced and never seen this glitch before.
Mark
Fokket50
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by Fokket50 »

If you change the max range, from nm into a leg duration, this might solve your problem. Try instead off 6000nm, 23h.
Menno

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford