The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

V-22 Osprey

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: V-22 Osprey

Post by John Young »

Unfortunately, that's not how it came across. You were not referring to what's in the library (Download Hangar) but to what was not in the zip. I wasn't the only one to read it that way. It came across as something I should have included, even though it wasn't mine to include.

But hey, let's move on.

John
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

John Young wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 05:18 Unfortunately, that's not how it came across. You were not referring to what's in the library (Download Hangar) but to what was not in the zip. I wasn't the only one to read it that way. It came across as something I should have included, even though it wasn't mine to include.

But hey, let's move on.

John

I looked at my post again and you are right. It was badly worded on my part. I am sorry if I offended anyone that was not my intention, and I agree let's move on.
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by Tranquil »

Thank you John, fantastic as usua! :)

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by thetford569 »

John,

All I have to say is THANK YOU! Your time and effort are appreciated and nobody who is not a developer realizes that personal time and energy that goes into projects like these. I am still trying to work on a scenery I started years ago. It's way more than anyone who is just a user thinks. Anyway, thank you again and keep the excellent work up!

Brandon
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by pslinger »

An earlier post mentioned converting the textures. I've done the conversion from FS9 to FSX, however never done the conversion to FSX. I have been using Texture Manager v 1.12 and I'm not sure what compression/Format to select a -bit or a DXT. Any guidance would be helpful. Also is the TextureManager software what I should be using? Thanks.

Paul
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Where is VMM-268 based? I ask because this package has them at Miramar, but Wikipedia says they are based at Kaneohe Bay. Did they move?

If they are based at Kaneohe Bay I am going to see if I can use the old MAIW P-3 Kaneohe Bay plans so they are in Hawaii.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

VMM-268 may well be on detachment to Kaneohe Bay at this time. I didn't change the basing from the original FS9 package that was released 2 years ago. I don't know how we stand with scenery for that airfield in P3Dv4 format, but it's not something I want to get involved with. The USMC deploy temporarily to overseas bases very regularly. It's not something we can keep up with.

Paul, I'm not sure what you are trying to do when you say "I've done the conversion from FS9 to FSX, however never done the conversion to FSX". Do you mean to P3Dv4? If so, you can use the same DDS Dxt5 format used for FSX.

I use Dxtbmp.exe to convert my textures. I'm not sure what Texture Manager does.

John
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

VMM-268 moved to K-Bay, one would need to adjust FPs and probably ADE parking. Related, HMLA-367 is now Zulu equipped as of early 18.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Victory103 wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 18:16 VMM-268 moved to K-Bay, one would need to adjust FPs
I was just going to look at the plans and use the ones that have the planes stay in Hawaii. What would I need to adjust? The flight levels?
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by pslinger »

John,
What I should have said is I've done the conversion from FSX to FS9, and haven't done the conversion from FS9 to FSX. I'll also take a look at dxtbmp.exe. Sorry for the confusion.

Paul
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Paul,
I use TextureManager myself for some operations, especially large ones. It is a very useful tool.

Now what has been said before, is that if you are going to convert textures from one compressed format to another then you are going to get serious degradation in quality.

If you are going to convert textures from FSX to FS9, or DDS to DXT3, then you would be far better off converting the original 24bit or 32bit textures to DXT3 than anything else. What TM will not do is increase the quality, so you can't go from a DDS texture to a 24bit texture and add quality. You will get a 24bit file but not the quality of the original.

The other key thing to watch for is that a lot of DDS textures are in 2048x2048 size and FS9 can't handle that size you would need to reduce it to 1024x1024 as well.

Now what I would say is that if you have a DDS texture at size 2048, then reducing it and converting to DXT3 may very well lead to unexpected results. In this case it might be worth converting to 24bit first, then reducing in size, then convert to DXT3. You might come away with a better result but it will not match an original 24bit to DXT3 conversion.
Steve
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

J29, probably not FLs but the waypoints/destinations they go to. There several large USMC training ranges in HI they would use.

John, I'm learning about this FSX ADEs and flags in P3D. Upon checking over EGUN update from the package, I had a few taxiways not show, only taxi lines. Of course V-22s and other AI moved normally throughout.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've just checked my installation in P3Dv4 Chris and all of the taxiways seem fine. However, the old SR-71 hangars and buildings nearby on the south side are not showing. I've just gone through Tony's library files with MCX to see if there's some objects that still need to be converted. Has anyone found the same problem and corrected it please?

John
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

John

I think you may be missing the file "tm_raf_mildenhall_2.bgl" as mentioned in my earlier post
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I have that file Pete, but when I run it through MCX and attempt to output it as a P3Dv4.bgl file, I get internal compiler errors and the file doesn't convert.

Is it possible to zip the file you converted and post it here please, assuming that is it's within the allowable file size? I have Tony's permission to convert the file.

John
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Victory103 wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 18:37 J29, probably not FLs but the waypoints/destinations they go to. There several large USMC training ranges in HI they would use.
I looked at the original Kaneohe Bay Orion plans and they go to W189 and W190 (I don't know where these are). Do you know what and where the USMC training ranges are? If not I will just send them to different airports in Hawaii.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

My thanks to Pete for sending me the converted tm_raf_mildenhall_2.bgl file. My copy of MCX was probably the release before Pete's and it would not convert the file. Moral of the story - make sure you have the latest version before you do any conversion.

John
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by DaleRFU »

Cracking job John. Much appreciated
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

John Young Sir,

No words can properly convey my gratitude for making the Osprey compatible with P3d V4. I read the posts here, completely understood your point of view, and accepted that we would not be getting one. To my utter amazement, today I discovered this version just sitting there waiting for me to find it! Thank you for mustering up the drive to revisit this model and push through to completion.

Sincerely, Preston
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Preston, I'm glad it's done and being enjoyed.

John