The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Ten for Ten Part 2: USAF Ospreys

Check here for official announcements from MAIW.
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Ten for Ten Part 2: USAF Ospreys

Post by Joecoastie »

relfel66 wrote:What are you using for a video card?
AMD Radeon HD 6870 Series - it's probably 5 or 6 years old.
I'm considering an EVGA GeForce GTX 960.
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Alan, you are not the first person to not read and take in the documentation and I can assure you that there will be hundreds after you.
Steve
navychief88
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by navychief88 »

I have the same issues in FSX with the rotors, I am using a GTX 1060. so I don't think it is your video card.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I can't display the FS9 rotor discs against cloud in FSX either. The only way I know that will overcome that would be to convert the models to FSX native code and use .dds Dxt5 textures. As we've discussed in the main Osprey forum, that would entail a very large amount of work and would allow only the engine up model. I've just tried converting the texture itself to .ddx Dxt5, but without the assignment in the model, it still results in the clouds taking priority in the drawing order.

John
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

Thanks John for the reply. I sort of figured that was gonna be the answer.
Really the answer is, when looking for AI Ospreys in FSX, set the weather to beautiful cloudless skies !
I can handle that !
Looking forward to the HMX-1 birds.
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

Exceptional work! I cannot say thank you enough.

So far all animation and textures seem to be fine for me in P3Dv2.5

I spotted a couple of AI Ospreys at EGUN. The only thing that noticed strange was purely related to AI seeking the nearest taxiway to exit the runway on touchdown. So the first bird turns off the runway while still in hover-height and gets passed to contact Ground Control and cleared to taxi to parking. This is followed by the second bird getting cleared for takeoff. So ultimately they pass thru each other on the runway. All in All I am not complaining in any way or form. I am still in awe of the Osprey and will definitely spend time wherever they are.
Sgt_waters
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Sgt_waters »

Hi John,

thanks a lot for this fantastic model. I installed it this morning in my FSX and took part in several TNG's. Superb!!!! Only the transparent props (disappearing in the background), but i have this problem with all Prop-Aircrafts. It seems to be a specific FSX or video card problem. The Ospreys on the ground are shown up in all 4 parking positions described in the documentary for FS 9. Seems that it works also in FSX. It looks amazing. Also Tony's scenery with Your modified AFCAD is working fine in FSX except some problems with the trees in the backgrounds (also "normal" in my FSX). The performance is quite ok, depending on the hardware used. Mildenhall is now comlpete with all the other packages and it is big fun flying around there.

Once more: Thanks for Your great work.

Best Regards.

Sgt Waters
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Is anyone having texture problems at Mildenhall? I don't think it is because of the new V-22 but I just noticed the problem after I went to do some V-22 AI spotting.

Here is a link to what my problem is at EGUN
http://www.militaryaiworks.com/forums/1 ... 64#p170664
Sgt_waters
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Sgt_waters »

Hi Joseph,

I think, it is a Hardware Problem. I have the same problem in case of a detailed and complex Scenery like Mildenhall and much traffic installed. And as far as I know FS loads all the traffic-files within 80 Miles around Your own aircraft. There are the London Airports nearby, so all this traffic with all the textures is loaded in the background too. Then it takes some time (more or less seconds) that the textures are displayed. But You must have a good system, when it happens for the first time. I always have to wait a little bit :-)
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've just posted in the Mildenhall support thread. You may also have the influence of Lakenheath with up to 80 F-15s just 4 miles away. Marham is only 16 miles away also with 24 plus Tornado's.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

flyerkg wrote: I spotted a couple of AI Ospreys at EGUN. The only thing that noticed strange was purely related to AI seeking the nearest taxiway to exit the runway on touchdown. So the first bird turns off the runway while still in hover-height and gets passed to contact Ground Control and cleared to taxi to parking. This is followed by the second bird getting cleared for takeoff. So ultimately they pass thru each other on the runway.
Are you using the "long roll" FDE that I pre-assigned in the aircraft.cfg file? This gives a longer landing roll-out to the exit ahead at Mildenhall. The alternative one in the zip has a much shorter take-off and landing roll for use in tight clearings. That will cause the Ospreys to back track to the exit just passed on landing at Mildenhall. Page 3 of the Osprey manual refers.
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

John,
I just switched over from the long roll FDEs that were originally named in the aircraft.cfg. And will check things out.

I could not even see straight or breathe when I saw the download. So reading the manual was out of the question.

Thank you!
Keith
WingZ
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by WingZ »

I'll add my thanks and admiration for this package - just splendid!
Couple of issues in FS9:
I also am seeing rotors disappearing against clouds.
Can't think of the cause right now, I know there's a fix for this.
And I saw a couple of very hard landings! enough to trigger the crash and vanish thing, maybe the RW weather was a little harsh?
So reading the manual was out of the question.
:D I know the feeling, I "wasted" a precious afternoon just having a look at these clever machines fly around!
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

On the topic of semi-transparent objects and disks.

When you assign a transparent material to objects in Gmax or FSDS you will have a reflection or clouds being seen through the object.
This is less so if the material is 100% opaque and use an alpha channel in the texture.
Conflict here, as FSX and FS9 use alpha channels differently.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I did ask the Gurus at FsDeveloper a few years ago whether there was a fix for clouds showing through prop discs in FS9 AI aircraft. They said not, it was an MS design fault. They did however fix it with FSX using a Dxt5 texture and alpha channel. However, if there is indeed a fix, I'd be the first to welcome it.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Joecoastie wrote:I've tinkered with different combinations of alpha, but still can't quite get the rotors to show properly against the backgrounds in FSX. Maybe it's just time for a newer video card.

Joe,

This bug was constant for all FS9 props and heli models in FSX. There is absolutely nothing you can do to avoid it.

Hardly noticed by anybody (al least I had not seen the big hurray I personally felt) this bug has vanished with P3D V3.3 which makes this version the ideal platform for both FS9 and FSX AI models.
Cheers,
Martin
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Been busy, but finally had a chance to watch these in FSX after d/l and installing the both released versions. Working a traffic issue at Yuma/SoCal area for now, but EGUN was action packed with CV-22's. No alpha issues on my machine and got to watch both take off and landing cycles. These guys get up and go quick! 2 thumbs up JY!
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris