The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Ten for Ten Part 3: USMC Ospreys

Check here for official announcements from MAIW.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Re: Ten for Ten Part 3: USMC Ospreys

Post by bismarck »

I agree with the three point.
My FPs is at 25 and I saw just one crash at 4x speed.

Giorgio
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Ten for Ten Part 3: USMC Ospreys

Post by John Young »

Hats off to Giorgio - I believe he has put his finger on why some of the Ospreys were crashing on approach to Mirarmar.

I couldn’t see the problem at all when I was building the aircraft or in my tests because my frame rate of 30 fps was hiding it. What I did last night was to set it to just 14 fps - not much better than a slide show - to see what would happen. I watched 10 landings at Miramar and low and behold, 6 of them disappeared when touching down.

I then set out to try and find the problem. I looked at the model on approach, but it wasn’t unstable or porpoising. Nevertheless, I tried increasing the pitch stability value from 6 to 9. That made no difference to the number of crashes. I then reduced the lift scaler from 1.5 to 1.0 to create a faster approach speed. That made no difference either.

Next I tried Giorgio’s amended values for gear static compression to see if a softer landing would help. That improved things enormously with 9 out of the 10 Ospreys landing successfully. It was a simple case after that of increasing the values a bit more. That resulted in all 10 Ospreys landing successfully. These are the values I used (highlighted in red):

I believe then with Steve’s revised AFCAD and the new static compression values, the problems are solved, even if users want to run FS9 at very low frame rates.

I think what needs to happen now is that the revised AFCAD needs to be inserted into the Miramar zip and the aircraft.cfg files need the static compression values changed in all 4 Osprey packages. Perhaps Steve could touch base with me on how best to do that.

Thanks everyone who tested the problems and helped resolve them. I’m going to test the Poseidons next at 14 fps!

John