The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Most wanted AI poll

Essential flight simulator tools, by Martin Gossmann
http://www.owlsnest.eu
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: Most wanted AI poll

Post by TheFoufure »

If someone can make new version of Su-27 and all variants (Su-30, Su-35, Su-34), with some différents payloads.
... And Chinese derivates (J-11, J-15 naval version, J-16 Strike Fighter)
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

While a remake of C17 was Discussed,
How about abu New c5 model?
ricki429
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by ricki429 »

I think the existing C-5 models are great. Other than models that need better load-outs / configs, i'd rather see some new aircraft and big gaps filled such as:

- Bell 205/212/412/UH-1 etc
- The AW139/AW149/AW169/AW189 family
- The AW159 Wildcat
- The AW101 Merlin variants
- The new CH-53 King Stallion

Whilst the C-130 has been done I think more detailed variants would go down a treat..
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

ricki429 wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 12:45 I think the existing C-5 models are great. Other than models that need better load-outs / configs, i'd rather see some new aircraft and big gaps filled such as:

- The AW159 Wildcat

Whilst the C-130 has been done I think more detailed variants would go down a treat..
The current C-5 models are real nice. But for people who use P3D those C-5 models don't work.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

More of you guys need to take up modelling. Trust me, if I can do it, it's not that hard.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

MIKE JG wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 03:08 More of you guys need to take up modelling. Trust me, if I can do it, it's not that hard.
I tried converting models, but had no idea what I was doing. :lol:
COA732
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by COA732 »

MIKE JG wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 03:08 More of you guys need to take up modelling. Trust me, if I can do it, it's not that hard.
I'd love to, but that's definitely something that someone would have to personally teach me. :smt003
Jamie
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The way I started: Installed Gmax and the SDK from the FS9 disks. Read "the build a house" tutorial on the same disks. Built the simple house, textured it and exported to FS9. You will though need the time and patience to stick with it. I'm sure there is a sensible starting point for FSDS too.

John
ricki429
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by ricki429 »

There's nothing I would love more than to create models for MAIW....but it took me weeks to master scenery modelling...I've tried aircraft 3 times now...it's a nightmare! I wish somebody could write a detailed book about it and all the animation and XML stuff...
I've never been one to demand stuff and sit back and wait...i usually try and have a crack myself first before surrendering!
Anyway I'm sure the world would rather a masterpiece from the resident MAIW modellers than some dodgy pre-school wonky model I've done!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Did you reach the point of animating, either with default parts or with custom XML and wanted the help then, or did you get stuck earlier? If it was earlier, what was it you couldn't do? Was that with Gmax or FSDS?

If it only took weeks to master scenery modelling that's fantastic. It took me 5 years for the custom stuff. We all start with wonky models, it's determining what's making them wonky that's the key to making them better. 3 sources for that - tutorials, the FsDeveloper web site, or asking someone.

If you are serious about "there's nothing you would love to do than to create models", then we have to help you, particularly as you have mastered scenery modelling. Do you want to give it a fourth try?

John
ricki429
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by ricki429 »

I'm definitely keen to give it a 4th try...just need to complete moving house and I will have a lot more free time and may ask for some pointers on here! The trouble I was having was achieving an accurate shape in Sketch-Up...it was easier creating scenery as buildings aren't so curved and complex. Maybe Gmax/FSDS is the way to go then...
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I can't help you with Sketchup, but I can with Gmax. I avoided any thing with curves for many years until I elected to have a go at a static Hurricane on a pole for the Duxford scenery we were producing at the time. I was really surprised that it wasn't as difficult as I feared. The secret is a good 3-view plan that is set up accurately in Gmax to trace against. I was even more surprised when I set it up as AI (minus the pole) at Duxford and it flew a circuit and came back! That got me hooked on AI.

If you do decide to have another go and want to use Gmax, drop me a pm and I'll help get you going.

John
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

And the rest of us can help with FSDS.

Remember, FSDS (not sure about Gmax, 3dsMax, SketchUp, etc) gives you basic shapes to start from. An aircraft is a nothing more than tubes and triangles, boxes and rectangles, shaped over and over and over until you're happy with the shapes.

The key to any model is a good, accurate 3D line drawing. If you can find that and scale it to the proper size, that's 75% of the battle.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Isn't it the magic to get live into it? In my opinion you all are Merlins or Copperfields to let the AI aircraft fly, show their animated details etc. That's the real challange for all newbs I think (and for me the decision to keep my hands off this :D )
Regards, Manfred.
mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

I studied with FSDS, too.

Inside, all animation features are already created.

So even novice like me could study easily.

But it took me a long time, too. There is still a lot to study.

It is never easy to educate oneself on your own.

Don't try to model an airplane from the beginning. Just touch one freeware 3D model around. And try the features of FSDS.

That's the beginning.

"Rome was not built in a day".

way to go...^ ^b
airplanedoktor
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by airplanedoktor »

Hi all,

Is anybody having success with getting FSDS 3.5 to work with P3Dv4.1?

As for my wishlist, a P3Dv4 C-130, B412, C295 or anything with a maple leaf....

Would love to give it a try, but can't even seem to import textures to the FSX converted HTAI C-130s. In the excellent Davis Monathan package, I have the C-130Js working fine, but have been dazed and confused as to why the H's are all black. Continuing to count spaces and periods...

Cheers!

Darren
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

ricki429 wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 12:45 I think the existing C-5 models are great. Other than models that need better load-outs / configs, i'd rather see some new aircraft and big gaps filled such as:

- The AW159 Wildcat

The RN Merlin version was released a few years ago. I'm working on the HC3 version.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
ricki429
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by ricki429 »

Well aware of that Vulcandriver, but as the more popular ramp tailed AW101 type is not yet released I put it on the list...same with the Wildcat.
Just a small point though - HC3s don't really exist anymore. HC4s are rolling out now and the HC3i's get less and less...
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I have cleaned up the poll, moving out all aircraft that are now available thanks to our great team of modellers.

Unbelievable - 45.508 votes excluding the ones for aircraft that have been created in the meantime ... :shock:
Cheers,
Martin
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Didn't see the Mig-21 or the Su-27 series on the list... Also assuming some of those on that bottom "completed list" are still pending release since I don't recall seeing the Mig-23 in FSX format as a release... But I have to say the release momentum has been great as of late. Thanks and keep up the good work!