The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Most wanted AI poll

Essential flight simulator tools, by Martin Gossmann
http://www.owlsnest.eu
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Re: Most wanted AI poll

Post by gsnde »

This is not the FSX/P3D wish list, but the wish list for models that are not existing at all. Since we already have a nice MPAI MiG-21 and SBAI Su-27 family, they are not included here.

But both are on the internal FSX/P3D conversion list, as is the MiG-23. There are only few people doing tall these conversions, and I often feel that they do not receive enough thanks for their work.

One look into our "Official MAIW Conversion Packages" section and we see what these few people have done in the past one-and-a-half-year. I say thankee, Sai, big-big :mrgreen:

We hope to see more conversion releases in the future.
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

Hi!

Reviewing those 10 pages of models is a reminder of how appropriate it is to first acknowledge the great work that the MAIW and contributing teams have done.

My "vote/hope" would be for some aircraft a bit further back in history, even though I'm already impressed with how many of my dream models have already been done by JY, MP, and others. So while the breadth is already pretty good, my hope might be for a few in this vein:

T-34A Mentor
T-28 Trojan
CT-114 Tutor
T-33 Shooting Star
T2V SeaStar
CF-100
F-86D/K
DH100 Vampire
A-3 Skywarrior
A-6 Intruder
MiG-15
TU-22 Blinder

Some of those might be a bit arcane for some, but just ideas.

Thanks again for the great work, and for the inspiration and building blocks for us to build out our own projects.

dl
Quaere verum - Seek truth
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I hope you use the vote button :-)
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by CorvettePilot »

E2-C Hawkeye

A-6 Intruder/Prowler

S-3 Viking
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by TheFoufure »

CorvettePilot wrote: 19 Feb 2020, 20:55 E2-C Hawkeye

A-6 Intruder/Prowler

S-3 Viking
E-2C is in production (See the spec topic by John Young)

S-3 is available in the Hangar

A-6 was in developpment, but never released
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Tu-22 Blinder available from SBAI

Giorgio
johanfrc
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by johanfrc »

Might not be the most widely known aircraft, but some air forces uses it as training plane.

The Saab Saab MFI-15 Safari / MFI-17 Supporter. More than 460 have been built, but there is simply no model of it.

There is/was a very old FS2002 freeware model by a Danish modeller, and then there was a payware version, but that was UI only. No AI have ever been made, from what I know.

Denmark have 32 (MFI-17's)
Iran have 25 ((Pakistan licensed made MFI-17)
Norway have 16 (MFI-15's)
Oman have 8 (Pakistan licensed madeMFI-17)
Pakistan have 28 from Saab and 92 made from kits, and then also some own produced, which totals 149 planes. All are MFI-17.
Saudi Arabia have 20 (Pakistan licensed made MFI-17)
Yemen have 6 (Pakistan licensed made MFI-17).

The rest are privately owned.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

There's someone on the forum that's been building the MFI-17 as a Gmax learning experience. I know that because i have been helping him get there, but I'll let him say more when and if he is ready to do so.

John
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

It's great to see the CH-46 is up pretty high on the polls.
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

John Young wrote: 07 May 2020, 14:20 There's someone on the forum that's been building the MFI-17 as a Gmax learning experience. I know that because i have been helping him get there, but I'll let him say more when and if he is ready to do so.

John
With John's help, I have a serviceable MFI-17. As it's my first attempt, it has numerous small flaws, learning which I can take forward in future projects, but I've reached a point where I have the Danish contingent populating Karup, with no discernable frame rate hit on my very average pc.

I mention frame rates because I haven't applied LOD's as yet; for my own use it hasn't proven to be necessary and, at this stage in my learning, it seems a little daunting, especially as I don't often get much time for modelling. However, I know that to be truly AI, LOD's must be added, and so I would not upload without first doing that.

I'm still more than pleased to get this far, though. Gmax is no longer the completely foreign land it once was, and it is so satisfying to make something work even a little.

As Sean said of his Wasp, I can't imagine my subject being a popular one; if he reckons seven people in the world are interested in his Wasp, I reckon no more than six for my MFI-17. However, if anyone is desperate for such a thing, I will get to LOD's at some point, or PM me for a beta "as is".

Jon G
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Congratulations, Jon! Great to have another modeler initiated :-)
Which Sim version is this for?

And don’t underestimate the interest in retro or unusual aircraft.
Cheers,
Martin
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Thanks Martin!

It's FS9. It's where most of my interest still is, but also the simplest place from which to start. I've read a little about FSX/P3D conversion, but I've not tried any of that.

By the way, if memory serves, you were once interested in the Noratlas as an AI subject?

Jon G
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Oh yessssssssssss. Well remembered!
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Jon,
I am always interested in any mil AI models. So I would like to see it finished.
The way I look at it, it doesn't matter what you find interesting to model, if it is not covered then make it. Somebody will always want it.
It is the same with painters some prefer to paint small numbers of aircraft from more obscure air arms. To my mind it just means more subjects are covered.

Incidentally, are there any visual differences between the Swedish MFI-17 and the Pakistani built ones?
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

LODs for your model Jon - you may only need 3 or 4, should take only an hour or two. I can show you how to do that in Gmax when you are ready.

John
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Steve,

The upgraded Pakistani Super Mushshak is externally pretty much identical as far as I can see, although it can be armed, and I haven't looked for reference photos for that. The Danish ones I've done have a prominent dorsal aerial, which I would remove anyway for possible Norwegian examples I may base at Bardufoss.

Jon G
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

John Young wrote: 12 May 2020, 09:28 LODs for your model Jon - you may only need 3 or 4, should take only an hour or two. I can show you how to do that in Gmax when you are ready.

John
Thanks John
SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

jgowing wrote: 12 May 2020, 07:35 As Sean said of his Wasp, I can't imagine my subject being a popular one; if he reckons seven people in the world are interested in his Wasp, I reckon no more than six for my MFI-17. However, if anyone is desperate for such a thing, I will get to LOD's at some point, or PM me for a beta "as is".

Jon G
Jon, you can count me as one of the 6 then, always been a fan of the wee beasties ;-). I say finish the LODs and upload it! :)

Sean
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Okay Sean, that clinches it! LOD's are a first for me, but with further guidance offered from John I'll give it a go. I'm not very quick, though..

Jon G
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Hi Jon,

The process for making LODs in Gmax is quite simple. I've attached a short tutorial for you and anyone else for that matter who might be interested.

John
Attachments
Making LODs in Gmax.pdf
(175.27 KiB) Downloaded 53 times