The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Thoughts on the next project

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Thoughts on the next project

Post by John Young »

I could make the new KC-135 available for FSX/P3D users, but it's only one model and 1 squadron's worth of textures (in both 1024 and 2048 resolution).

From then on, any new models I make will be for FSX/P3D and MSFS. The T-7 Red Hawk has long been at the top of my list, but 3-view drawings were not good enough and Boeing kept slipping the in-service date, leaving only the two prototypes to paint. I need to update myself on the current prospects on that one.

Yes there is an argument for re-making some of our legacy models (that mostly derive from FS9 in any case). 1024 textures just don't cut it in MSFS, even with PBR.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

It's been a while since I last visited this thread, but it has been extremely useful in giving me ideas on what to develop and indeed, much of what has been suggested has now been done.

I have some possibilities for a new project, but I would like to throw into the mix any fresh ideas that users here have please. I really ought to do something main stream for a change, but retro is fine too. So please take this opportunity to post what AI you would like to see, that we don't have already. This will be for FSX and P3D and remember, AI needs a home, so scenery needs to be considered too.

John
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by shaggy22 »

Well I can think of a few things, there are a few things in need of new models that I can think of but since you asked for models that haven't been done yet I'll go with possibly a huge project. The Bell UH-1 & it's major derivatives, if that's too big or there is no scenery how about the Alouette III, BO-105 or maybe the PZL 130 if you don't fancy doing helicopters.
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by miljan »

I was thinking about KAI T-50, specifically Polish AF ones. Miñsk Mazowiecki (EPMM) has been released long ago for FS2004 and would not be a problem to be converted to FSX/P3D. That package was started by Nick Black and assembled and finished by me.
VIVA LA VIDA
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by TheFoufure »

The Kai T-50 is a good choice (with all versions). As well as Pakistani J-17 or Chinese J-10 or J-20. Or soviet/russian S-57.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

For your 'small thing to take my mind off things for a while' moments, I would like to suggest another version of the Mossie.
The B.IV with the glass nose, which also enables the PR version as well.

As for main projects I am sure that others can come up with the same list that i can. Three lesser known subjects for me would be the KC-390 and a pair of Chinese fighters the J-10 and the JF-17 as theses have been exported to Pakistan as well.

From a current-to-retro idea then i would like to see the Mirage 2000 family get the JY and get its full justice.
Steve
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

I'll chime in by adding my vote for the Alouette III and the Bo-105, but after seeing the tail "boom" on the Alouette II, how about the Bell 47? On the British side there is also the Saro Skeeter and the Bristol 173, and I could go on... CH/UH-46 etc etc etc

Jorgen
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

I like the Chinese mentions. I have lots of empty air bases there now :lol:
They still have hundreds of old school (no pun intended) Nanchang CJ-6 trainers flying, for something unusual to do?

Still top on my wish list though is the Yak-28P, even just to see examples of the last regiment in the Arctic c.1987.
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

I think Miljan had a KC-390 underway a while back. It would be a good choice, whoever does it, as it is being ordered a lot around Europe now.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

How about a proper AI CH-53 model lineup? I mean the paints that just came out are for a flyable CH-53.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I’d love to see a Hunter to the standards of your latest models, John! The Seahawk is another retro favourite.

The CH-53 is an excellent choice - one of the few American helicopters I’ve actually flown. I normally wouldn’t admit to having flown a hicopleter, but I think I can own up to that one. In my defence, it was just the one occasion.

I do like the KC-390 too. I have a feeling that will become somewhat ubiquitous as air forces realise that a very large airliner possibly isn’t the most militarily appropriate choice for a tanker.
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Somehow the Sea Hawk slipped my mind - a great choice, served with 4 different navies. But that (and the Hunter) brought up the memory of the Supermarine Attacker, Scimitar and Swift... and are there any FSX/P3D Vampires and Venoms out there?

Jorgen
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

As I have a couple of 1950s/60s projects in mind, any/all of those would be great!
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

Do we have a Varsity or Hasting ?
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Wow, thanks everyone. There are some really interesting suggestions there and I am spoilt for choice. I will need to come back and ask some questions and I am eager to do that. I think my next 3 projects, at least, are in there. I can also switch between the different aircraft types and periods for variety.

To give a few more people the opportunity to contribute (come on Martin), I'll take up Steve's suggestion in the meantime for the Mosquito B.IV with the glass nose. It's a very simple modification that can be done in a day. Steve, if you could PM me if you have a particular squadron in mind. If not I'll just provide a specimen paint and a kit.

John
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

On the warbird/retro, I would put my vote in for a proper FSX/P3D P-38 or F4U. For modern, I've hoped for a UH-1 series for years and your UH-1Y fills most of that need as the early type ends service. On the rotary side continued, despite having the NBAI models, the AH-64 and CH-47 could use a refresh. A nod to the KC-390 as more air forces review their tactical cargo needs.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Jonjon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jonjon »

Hello everyone,

Another thought for a little project could be the Daher/Socata TBM 700 and 940 operated in France. Nice little aircraft :)
I have a full realistic flightplan set almost ready for French Army, Air and Space Force and the flight test center. I thought I could paint a Piper Matrix or Meridian as a TBM awaiting a true model ;)
Airbases should be a litlle more difficult to find but I have all datas available and some ideas.
Hope it helps and i take advantage of this message to wish you all a very good year :)

Fred
bvanhout
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bvanhout »

I know this first one is a long shot...

Basler BT-67 (C47TP) still used by a number of smaller air forces and government organisations including Colombia, Ecuador, South Africa (some small differences from the standard Basler) and Thailand.

Bell Jetranger 206 used by 40+ airforces, armies and navies.

KC-390, UH-1
Delboy99
Captain
Captain

Post by Delboy99 »

As a retro model fan I'm probably biased with my suggestions. On the helicopter side a UH-1 Huey, or maybe a Whirlwind.

Fixed wing a Vampire/Venom, Gnat, Swift or as already suggested a Seahawk.

Whatever you decide on John I'm sure they'll be great and very welcome.
geoffj
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by geoffj »

Just a thought, MD500, with Nardi and Kawasaki licence builds. The Defender is currently in service with 18 countries' armed services and civil versions with numerous police, fire, forestry depts. I would be happy to contribute with research of active fleet data for serials/units/bases.
Regards, Geoff