The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Retro RAF Alconbury

Check here for official announcements from MAIW.
kaman
Cadet
Cadet
Version: P3D

Re: Retro RAF Alconbury

Post by kaman »

All I can say is...WOW...
david.harwood
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by david.harwood »

With the installation of the RAF Alconbury scenery I note that all of the A-10's have black wheels, tyres and ordnance!

Any idea what might be causing this and has anyone else had a similar issue?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I think you will find the answer in step 2 of the installation (see manual) and also the reminder .pdf I placed in the A-10 root folder so user's won't forget to add the textures for the wheels and load-out to the main FS9 or FSX\ texture folder.

John
david.harwood
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by david.harwood »

Doh!

Thanks! That will teach me to think I know it all!
david.harwood
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by david.harwood »

John,

Yeah,

Placed the file in the Scenery - Texture folder and not the main Texture folder as quite obviously pointed out in the supplied and extensive documents with the download!

I'll get back in my box now but first thanks to all of you who design scenery, aircraft etc for free and put up with Muppets like me that don't take the time to read the documents you put together for individual Muppets like me!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

No problem Dave, we all do things like that at times.
Foxbat
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Foxbat »

U2 traffic Alconbury is maybe not so retro today? I Know the U-2 with that big pod on top now flies a lot here up north. They even post selfies from cocpit regarding the northern lights. I found this info at RT (Russki newspaper) on net. Lotsa plane stuff there. :smt003
Andrew
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zsoltfireman »

Hello Folks,

https://i.imgur.com/X4nHtvq.jpg

Can the hangar doors be opened?

Zsolt
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Only if the scenery designer re-makes them.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: MSFS

Post by Woogey »

Good Day Gents,

@JohnYoung

I am wondering if the newly converted TR-1 Ai (Milviz Beale) for P3d5 could be used successfully with this Alconbury scenery? It is my understanding that the model and the flight plan need to be converted separately to each sims format in order for the Ai to show and operate correctly. Since we have v5 ready models, that leaves just the flight plans I believe. Does the scenery itself also need to be re-formatted for success? While MSFS is now my GoTo sim, P3d5 still brings a lot to the table that MSFS will eventually catch up with.

-Preston
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The Milviz Beale advertising https://milviz.com/flight/products/KBAB/ says, in respect of AI:

A freeware AI package for the base using MAIW models under permission by their creators is available through MAIW website. The package includes the following AI:

Retro:
SR-71A
KC-135Q (Specialized version of the KC JP-7 fuel grade)
U-2R
C-5A Galaxy (visiting on specific weekdays)
Modern:
RQ-4 Global Hawk Drones
KC-135R
U-2 S
C-5M Galaxy (visiting on specific weekdays)
C-17A (visiting on specific weekdays)
(The repaints of the AI planes are adjusted to represent units operating from KBAB at their respective timeframe.)

I'm assuming that the permissions are legit (maybe the manual just directs users to the files in the MAIW Download Hangar), but I am not going to spend $30 to find out how all this works. I am assuming the aircraft mentioned are all converted MAIW ones. If that's the case, you should be able to use my TR1A with an adjusted flight plan, but I have only tested it in P3Dv4.

John
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

I don't think this is what Preston is after but just for the sake of clarity: the mentioned AI package is hereand yes permissions were obtained.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'm not clear then, what Preston is after. Which TR1-A is being referred to, with what scenery in what sim version?

John
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Good Day Gents,

Yes John, your TR-1 that Greg linked above IS what I am referring to. My question was not worded very well, sorry. If I wanted this P3d5 version to fly out of Alconbury, would I just need to convert the related EGWZ TR-1A traffic file to P3d5? Or do I need to do something to the scenery as well for the Ai to show in V5?

-Preston
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I think you are still confused Preston.

My TR-1A is not linked to by Greg and is not included in the Milviz package, as far as I am aware. In that case Milviz is a big red herring. My TR-1A is not a conversion either, it was designed specifically as an FSX/P3D model for use with Ian's retro RAF Alconbury and is included in Ian's package together with a traffic file.

Both the Alconbury scenery and the TR1-1A's were designed for P3Dv4. I haven't tried either in V5, because I don't have it, but both should work fine, as should the A-10's that are also included, without having to convert anything.

Perhaps try it for yourself.

John
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Good Day John,

Milviz did not include any of your models in their scenery, however MAIW put together a P3d4 and 5 package in partnership, to work with the Mizviz Beale AFB scenery. It is good to hear that the Alconbury Package was designed for P3d4! I guess my next biggest concern is traffic not appearing. In previous sims the traffic must be re-compiled specifically for the that sim. IE: placing an FSX traffic file in P3d would kill all your traffic. I am wondering if a P3d4 traffic file would do the same thing in P3d5? Can any of the experts here shed any light on the subject?

-Preston
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

FSX and P3Dv1-4.5 traffic files are exactly the same, and can be used interchangeably in all of those sims. They can't be used in FS9, and FS9 traffic files in those sims will kill some or all of your correctly-formatted traffic. FSX and later files will generally work in P3Dv5, but there are a significant number of ICAO changes in that sim, so it's worth running them through the latest AIFP and recompiling the file for v5 - AIFP will substitute the new ICAO codes.