The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

General MAIW Conversion Package issues

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Conversion Packages for FSX and P3D in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
Christopher Low
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: General MAIW Conversion Package issues

Post by Christopher Low »

Can someone please direct me to a download link for the FSX version of John Young's F15 Eagle package? I have the NBAI RAF Lakenheath F15 packages installed, so the models do not work properly in P3D v4. In addition, is there an easy upgrade path for the flightplans (like the one for the updated Typhoons at RAF Coningsby)?
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Chris,

check the following link from the download hanger...under fsx....easy find.

https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... x?start=45

flight plans are available also via the f-15 thread and also search for zsolts repaint package for the 48th...from memory the flightplans are in there.

all the best
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Or use Matrix. :wink:
Christopher Low
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Christopher Low »

JYAI EGUL RAF Lakenheath F15 Eagles and flightplans downloaded and installed. Thanks, guys :D
md11driver44
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by md11driver44 »

Wanted to ask a general question here. What is the difference between a regular AI aircraft file and a "Mipmap" file? I have seen than some folders come with mipmap files and some do not. Thank you for your answers.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Mipmaps are a feature of aircraft textures. They work in the same way as LODs do in the models to reduce polygons at a distance to improve frame rate. When viewed close to the AI aircraft, the full sized texture will be displayed, but as you move away, progressively small versions of the texture that are embedded in the texture file are loaded.

Mipmaps improve performance, particularly when large numbers of different textures come into view, eg on an aircraft flight line. The sudden loading of big textures without mipmaps may well cause stuttering. While it's not usual for mipmapped textures to cause blurring in aircraft they can sometimes do so in ground polygons in scenery, particularly when viewed at ground level.

All of my AI models use mipmapped textures to improve performance. They are created automatically when the artwork is converted to the format required to be displayed in the particular sim.

John
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

John Young wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 06:01 Mipmaps are a feature of aircraft textures. They work in the same way as LODs do in the models to reduce polygons at a distance to improve frame rate. When viewed close to the AI aircraft, the full sized texture will be displayed, but as you move away, progressively small versions of the texture that are embedded in the texture file are loaded.

Mipmaps improve performance, particularly when large numbers of different textures come into view, eg on an aircraft flight line. The sudden loading of big textures without mipmaps may well cause stuttering. While it's not usual for mipmapped textures to cause blurring in aircraft they can sometimes do so in ground polygons in scenery, particularly when viewed at ground level.

All of my AI models use mipmapped textures to improve performance. They are created automatically when the artwork is converted to the format required to be displayed in the particular sim.

John
Thanks John - that was a well articulated response.

I had only a very vague understanding of mipmaps, and wondered what their purpose and/or advantages - much clearer now.

DL
Quaere verum - Seek truth
litenheat
Cadet
Cadet

Post by litenheat »

Hi, can some one help me with a query - I'm trying to run MAIW planes on P3D. I've followed all the instructions for the B1 but the plane is not showing in the Vehicles menu on P3D. I've manually copied the files over to the correct P3D folders and still no joy. Am I doing something stupidly wrong, currently running V4.4.

Thanks

Chris
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Can I ask a simple question.
Are you saying that the B-1 AI traffic doesn't show up or that the B-1 doesn't show up in the menu or both?

The aircraft is AI only so it wouldn't/shouldn't show up in a usable menu, normally.
Steve
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

This isn't a issue but I have a question. I have textures for the Iceland Coast Guard and Japan Coast Guard for the MKAI Super Puma/Cougar models. The readme files say that the Iceland textures use the model AS332L2_var1 and the Japan textures use the model EC225_JCG. What pack are these models in? I can't find them.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Those models aren't included in this release. But because I knew this question would come up, Gavin is already on the job. ;)
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

I have a general question for the various update packages.

There are tons and tons of nice aircraft models and paints, but at least I am missing some flight plans to get them up and running....

I stumbled upon some plans today, but, as two examples, I haven't really found any for the Skyhawks, or the Crusaders... or am I not searching in the right places?

Jorgen
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

As far as I can remember there were no official MAIW packages that featured either the Skyhawks or Crusaders. Lots of paints were done for these aircraft and some may have also had flightplans. The bes thing to do is have a look at The Owls Nest:
http://www.owlsnest.eu/#

There you will find the location of various paints and possibly plans.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Skyhawks were part of the MAIW Top Gun and Israeli Hatzerim packages.

Giorgio
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The Top Gun A-4s were Nicks model. Have they been converted? If not you would need to find some schemes for the NMAI ones and substitute them.
Steve
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Giorgio,

I have those 2 packages.

Pete,

As I see it, there are 2 ways to go around things on the Owl's Nest. You can go to the AI reference, and I have done that and gotten the downloads that Martin has marked with an "x" for "flightplans included".

Or you can go to the AI World Map, but that poses a problem for me, because when I click on for instance the little airplane for the "US AI list", the window where the list is presented is very small and cannot be resized, so it is difficult to see all the possible selections as I scroll through them. Now, this is with Firefox, as Chrome will not run flash player.... is there maybe a browser better suited to this?

Thanks for the replies, guys - really appreciated!

Jorgen
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Continuing my line of thought about the flight plans: would it be possible to create a section or folder, where members could upload their flight plans?

I have found several flight plans (early B-52s and B-70s just to name 2) in the forum threads, but wouldn't it be better to have the plans in one location, where they would be so much easier to find?

Jorgen
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

How about this place? ;)
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Greg,

I should have known it would be around somewhere!!!!

Thanks a lot -

Jorgen
jabloomf1230
Cadet
Cadet

Post by jabloomf1230 »

Could somebody running P3d 4.5 HF2 confirm something for me? As you all may or may not know, to allow the newest ORBX installers to work correctly, LM in HF2 changed the way the airports are prioritized in the scenery library. Some users of P3d 4.5 HF2 have reported that airport objects now map appear displaced from their actual locations, when more than one third party version of an airport is installed (for example, having ORBX Vector, MAIW or an AI Traffic add-on that adds airport BGL files, simultaneously active).

Personally, I had not seen this displacement issue with P3d 4.5 HF2 until today, when I tried a flight from Patuxent River NAS. The MAIW Matrix version of KNHK seems to be pieced together with a number of individual airport files, since the base is so complex. Depending on what other versions of KNHK is set to be active, airport items like aprons, runways and parking spots are incorrectly located. Thanks in advance.