The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

FSX Scenery Objects

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
ukvoodoo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

FSX Scenery Objects

Post by ukvoodoo »

Hi all

I know theres the MAIW Global Scenery library available for FSX users but was wondering, sceneries in FS9 used to ask for different libraries to complete the scenery (i.e Beaufort library, Czech airbases library)

Are these librarys all included in the Global library? if not would there be a way for them to be included?

My aim is with me finding more and more spare time id like to use all the libraries MAIW have made available to create sceneries for MAIW FSX users for airfields that have AFCADs but do not have scenery for yet or requests as best that I can

Thanks
Matt
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: FSX Scenery Objects

Post by Firebird »

Those libs are what we are currently calling Regional Scenery Libs and they are on the list to be completely converted and be made available in a package/packages.
The current situation is that the person responsible for the conversion is currently engaged in P3D conversion activities plus I believe that there are still some permissions to be received.

Believe me are aware of how useful it would be to have these libs available in packages as well.
Steve
ukvoodoo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ukvoodoo »

Thanks for the information Steve, I will patiently wait till they can be completed :)
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

It's sort of a good news/bad news situation. As Steve said, many of those libraries are not yet available in dedicated FSX format. That's the bad news. The good news is that in many circumstances, it doesn't matter very much. As long as your are careful about how many objects you use from a FS9 library, and you don't use any objects with transparency built in, you can usually get away with using FS9 object libraries in FSX.

For example: My recent FSX update of JASDF Gifu:

The blue roofed hangars are all calling from the FS9 Atsugi objects library. The power poles are also a FS9 library object.

TLDR version: You can use FS9 object libs in FSX as long as you are careful.
ukvoodoo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ukvoodoo »

I give it a go and see how I do, my other question would be

Is there a long list of the scenery libraries that are objects only that can be used in Instant Scenery rather then bgl files that draw from said Scenery libraries available?

Dont want to download everything to find I only needed a few BGLs :oops: :oops:
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

As I understand it all objects can be used in Instant Scenery if a lib is made available to Instant Scenery.

I haven't made an exhaustive study of this but when I did look at it a few years ago I think that it is the same set up for Instant Scenery as it is for EZ Scenery, Rwy12 or any other such application.

So in simple terms at the moment none can be used for Instant Scenery, or anything similar, but if you copy the bgls and the bmps into the appropriate folders then they can all be used.

I would suggest that you try it with one lib and its textures and see if you can use it. If you can then you can use all the libs, if you can't then you can't use any. No lib is specifically created for Instant Scenery.

Does this answer your question or have I missed the point that you were trying to get to?
Steve