The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Bolling HP

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
AirAmerica26
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Bolling HP

Post by AirAmerica26 »

I needed some place logical for the Whitehawks and Marine One to go. Bolling (KBOL) location is easy to spot on MegaScenery Mod-Atlantic. The CH-53 in the bottom image is a USMC generic repaint by Hartwig Ullrich for a Rory Kelly model. It drops in once and a while flying between New River and Quantico. Took a couple liberties. Two white buildings in SW corner do not exist and
the three shelters are added. The double fencing doen't show too well. Managed to get the RV parking in next to the big white hanger. The hanger is outside the wire and is left over from when the base was an active fixed wing station.
Runway isn't right but I couldn't figure how to make the short landing / hover lane as it really exists.
Great thanks to all who make scenery, light posts, fences and aircraft models. If anyone wants to bring this up to MAIW standards, PM me and I'll send you the ADE files.
Primo ex Aerias 71 SQN (Eagle)

"Never mistake coincidence for cause and effect." W. Edwards Deming

"The more complex an idea, the more simple minded the opposition"
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Bolling HP

Post by clickclickdoh »

Very nice rendition. If you want, take a look at the AFCAD for NDV included in the HMX-1 package. That should help you with how to build short helicopter runways.
AirAmerica26
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by AirAmerica26 »

So embarrassed. Just downloaded the HMX package last week. Didn't see an AED file for BOL and didn't open the manual. Just used the helos for the moment. I get the bit with the short runways for helos, but I think I remember seeing in a Blackhawk package that the runway needed to be at least 900 feet to work right. That's why my rendering is hanging into what should be grass.
I'll shorten it up and see how the helos like it. I'm just one step behind. I made this really detailed representation of KDMA. Your KDMA update came out just about the time I thought I was "done." But it keeps an old man off the streets. And so it goes . . .
Have a great New Year !

clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

I have found through trial and error that you can often get away with runways as short as 500 feet with the JYAI UH-60s and several other models

With a 500 foot runway, the model won't be able to take off by the end of the runway. This doesn't actually impact how the model flies, but it may cause it to travel through scenery before flying up if you have anything in the way. Models with a built in lift help a lot with that since they appear to be flying from the very start of their takeoff run.

Most helicopter models will land 200 to 250 feet after then runway threshold. That means that if you put a taxiway at the midpoint of a 500 foot runway, they will appear to land on a spot, then directly taxi to their parking spot. One of the other benefits of that set up is that the AI engine considers small runway fragments as run up areas, so a 500 foot runway with a taxiway that joins in the middle will cause an AI aircraft to enter the runway then take off directly from where it joined the runway.

One of the things to remember is that FS9 was never intended to use AI in the manner we are, so most AI helicopter techniques are breaking the AI engine a bit. Expirement around enough and you can make it do some benneficial and unexpected things.

And don't worry, I'm safely back building scenery in Japan for now. :lol:
AirAmerica26
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by AirAmerica26 »

OK, thanks. Now I can go back an fix the stage fields at Rucker and FOBs at Irwin. But for the moment I'll just populate Camp Pendleton with a CH53 squadron . . . Cheers

Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Great looking ADE and some good info from click to make LZs out in the woods, so the old ADE waypoints could actually be used.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris