The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Finningley 1990s P3Dv4

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Re: Finningley 1990s P3Dv4

Post by gsnde »

These screenshots look awesome, Tim!
Cheers,
Martin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Thanks Martin. The one that got away!

I still have problems with getting this scenery stable. If I load it and visit anywhere within about 50-60 miles, the sim will crash within a few minutes. This happens in FSX, P3Dv4 and v5. For the life of me, I can’t track down the cause - so I’ve done the natural thing and walked away from it! But I have put an enormous amount of work into it so I do want to resurrect it.

Now I have P3Dv5.2 working pretty well (apart from in Yorkshire), I’m going to do a vanilla P3Dv4.5 installation on another computer to see if I can find out what it is that’s causing the problem. It’s not simply file size; some of the buildings are pretty big (I had one up to 50+mb with some PBR textures in one iteration!), but the overall airfield is maybe 80-100mb. I have payware that’s over 1Gb per airfield, and the sim still works. It’s not weight of traffic, though Finningley was the UK’s second busiest airfield after Heathrow in the late ‘80s and my traffic files do reflect that - but my installation of Heathrow Extreme V3 with both UTL2 and Global Traffic on 100% doesn’t crash the sim (though it has to be said that not much traffic moves after an hour of jamming up!). It may be one aircraft, it may be one building, it may be a single photoreal tile, but I’ll find it eventually.

But it makes some nice screenshots! (I’ll share some showing some of the custom buildings later).
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Try without AI.I had it once that one converted aircraft was crashing my sim, although nobody else had an issue with it.

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I just realised that I was getting the crash when I was checking out Church Fenton (in connection with JY's Meteor project) and Finningley was not actually installed, so it does indeed look like it's a traffic problem in that area. It may well have something to do with some of the old models I've redeployed to Finningley-specific traffic files so I'll have a look at that.

As promised, some more FY pictures:

Looking across the main pan (revised parking layout) towards the NE in P3Dv4.

Looking the other way across the domestic site. A lot of Ted Andrews buildings evident, many of which I'd like to replace. The 1990 New Nav School is lacking any texture for some reason!

Some of the models I've made:

Finningley's unique round lightmasts

The old Nav School, which is still largely intact in 2021.

ATC and the Fire section, also still extant.

What I remember as METS (Multi-Engine Training Squadron) but there were quite a few other occupants.

The new Nav School, built in 1990, not long before the base was closed.

The Vulcan Sim. Another building still there, but I've no idea what's in it now!

I intend to make several other buildings for the airfield - the Officers' Mess with its extensive extensions (including Filton Block) is rather larger than any of the Ted Andrews variations. The V-Force era operations block, which contained Flight Planning and the Station Presentation theatre, was knocked down a few years ago and getting photos of it is very difficult. I'd like to do some more accurate models of the OMQs - I lived in several different types in my life, so they're quite important to me! Similarly the YUAS complex on Dispersal 1 at the north of the airfield; I was a QFI and CFI there in 1987-91, so that has some particular memories. Not least the bar, which I built (it won't be in the model!)

Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

We used to fly gliders up the road at RAF Lindholme (643 VGS) but stayed at Finningley at weekends after Northern Radar closed and there were no facilities at Lindholme
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Lindholme was still the RLG for Finningley when I was doing Multi-Engine Training in 1980. Northern Radar was still operating its Type 82 then, but had gone by the time I returned on YUAS in 1987 (I think it folded in 1984). By then, Lindholme had largely been turned over to the Home Office and the first on-site prison had been instigated. 840SU remained on the Northern Radar site until 1996, running what was basically an automated telephone exchange.
MSoden1991
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by MSoden1991 »

Nice work - look great!
Matt Soden