The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Thule AB - Greenland (BGTL)

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
rowcoach
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Thule AB - Greenland (BGTL)

Post by rowcoach »

Good afternoon,

I’ve been playing with ADE for a while. I can draw taxiways and the odd apron or two, but I think it’s time I branch out a little. Don’t know why I picked Thule. Maybe I was just disappointed with the default scenery. I’ve looked around, but only found two ‘AFCADS’ that update the airport layout while still using default buildings.

Is there anyway I can find pictures of the hangars/tower at Thule? I have no clue how to make scenery objects, but I think it’s about time I learn.

Thanks,

Colin
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: Thule AB - Greenland (BGTL)

Post by TheFoufure »

There is a Scenery of Thulé in the new pack LC-130H Ski by John Young.

You can find it (FS9 or FSX/P3D) in the Hangar
rowcoach
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by rowcoach »

TheFoufure wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 22:29 There is a Scenery of Thulé in the new pack LC-130H Ski by John Young.

You can find it (FS9 or FSX/P3D) in the Hangar
I completely missed that one. Thank you !!
rowcoach
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by rowcoach »

Thanks for this. Airport layout mirrors Google Earth. The new scenery also supplies assigned parking which is what I was looking for originally.

Would like to add hangars and a tower that reflect what’s actually there, but hard to find pictures on line.

Colin
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Good for you for wanting to have a go Colin. All I did for the Thule I included in my LC-130H package was to tweak the default AFCAD to add parking for the aircraft. I didn't add any objects.

John
rowcoach
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by rowcoach »

Thanks, John. I found some pictures of the tower, so I think I’ll start there. What is the best way to make 3D models out of 2D pictures?

Cheers,

Colin
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Colin,

You can't make 3-D models directly out of 2D pictures. You need to create a model using a 3-D modelling program like Gmax, 3D Studio Max, FSDS, Sketchup etc. Once you have the model made you then texture it, either by painting it yourself or by applying surface images from a photograph of the tower, or by sampling similar surfaces from other image sources.

Once familiar with the modelling program, the first thing you need to know are the dimensions of the tower. You can get the width and length using the measurement tool in Google Earth. There are some better GE images of the Thule tower if you click the "historic images" button and go further back in time. To get the height, look at photograph of the tower you have, hopefully square on and divide the width or the length into the height. Knowing those two dimensions you can calculate the height from the ratio.

3-D modelling is not a simple task. I found the best way to get into it was to install Gmax from the FS9 Deluxe disks and to complete the "build a house" tutorial, also provided by Microsoft, but others here would have had different routes in.

John