The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

MAIW Hurlburt Field scenery issue

Technical support for the MAIW website and forums.
pilot18
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

MAIW Hurlburt Field scenery issue

Post by pilot18 »

Hey everyone,

I don't know where else to post this nor can I post on the FSX specific forum for some reason, but I downloaded the Hurlburt Field Complete package for FSX today and I am having an issue with the scenery. A few of the buildings are blacked out (I think missing textures) and I cannot figure out why. I installed the MAIW Object Libraries like it said in the instructions, so I am confused as to why its not displaying correctly. Could someone help me out?

Thanks
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: MAIW Hurlburt Field scenery issue

Post by Firebird »

I am sure that somebody that has FSX will be able to help you out.

Until they wander along and see your post it would be helpful if you are able to post some pics of the offending objects.
You can attach pics to the thread but be careful as they are size limited so you may have to cut them down in size.
The other option is that you could provide a link to somewhere that stores the pics so that people can see them.

This will enable people to see what is the problem lib or libs.
Steve
paul day
Captain
Captain

Post by paul day »

I have a good scenery of Hurlburt for FSX which I must have found reading on this site. It consists of KHRT_FSX_BN_bgl and KHRT_FSX_BN_OBJ.bgl. I presume somebody whose initials are BN produced it but it is very good. Drop me a PM with an email address and I can send it for you to try.

Regards Paul Day.
paul day
Captain
Captain

Post by paul day »

I have just done some more digging and just search Hurlburt in the download section. It is the first on the list and and it was produced by Brent Newman and John Young. It is a complete package and very good.

Regards Paul Day.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

Firstly, make sure you have installed the FSX package from 2019. There is a matching FS9 package from that date, and an earlier FS9 one from 2015. Between the correct package, and the MAIW libraries, you should have everything you need. If you're still getting buildings without textures, it would help if we could identify which ones. However, it may be worth re-downloading and installing the packages again.

The 2019 FSX package is here: https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... -fsx-p3dv4
pilot18
Cadet
Cadet

Post by pilot18 »

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I have the 2019 edition that Tim linked too. Heres a screenshot of the building that is missing the texture(https://freeimage.host/i/dik38X) and if that link doesn't work, the screenshot is also on this post at (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/s ... ost1234902). It would appear that every hangar that is this same model is missing the textures. I have the maiw global fsx libraries installed as well.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK I have looked at the FS9 version here so hopefully I am not leading you down the garden path.

I managed to finally find the object you are looking for and I believe that it is part of the MAIW ABO lib. Now I have to make some assumptions here.
IF the FSX conversion is a straight conversion then the textures that that object will be looking for in your MAIW Global Scemery Lib texture folder are:-
AIRBASE BUILDINGS 1.BMP
AIRBASE BUILDINGS 1_LM.BMP
AIRBASE BUILDINGS 3.BMP
AIRBASE BUILDINGS 3_LM.BMP
DECAL_AIRBASE 1.BMP
DECAL_AIRBASE 1_LM.BMP
MAIW_UPPSALA.BMP
MAIW_UPPSALA_LM.BMP

I checked the pack and all the FSX equivalent textures are included so you should be fine.

Now the one thing I should mention here is that it is the best thing to install the FSX Global Scenery pack.
There is a however though. If you have those libs installed in other places then weird things can happen.
SO if the Global Scenery is one of the first sceneries to be loaded after the MS defaults then remove ALL other occurrences of the MAIW_ABO.bgl, for safety sake just zip them up where theya re and then delete the bgls, and then see what happens.
Steve
pilot18
Cadet
Cadet

Post by pilot18 »

Thanks, just checked my object libraries and I do indeed have those textures. I'll try reinstalling and see if it fixes it, if not what else can I do?
pilot18
Cadet
Cadet

Post by pilot18 »

No luck still, I posted about it on another forum too, and no one else has had this issue, so I am pretty much lost now. Tried reinstalling, moving the library down the list in the addon scenery library, no luck still. Any other suggestions?
pilot18
Cadet
Cadet

Post by pilot18 »

Here is another shot of the buildings that are missing textures. I have the MAIW Global object Libraries FSX installed, so I should not be having this issue. Is there something I missed in the instructions on how to install this?
https://freeimage.host/i/dsSoBf
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

If you only have one object that is black and you only have one MAIW_ABO_FSX.BGL in an active library then the only other thing that I can think off is it might be affected by whether you have DX10 set or not. Might be worth checking that.

There is one other thing. I noticed that two of the textures called by the object, AIRBASE BUILDINGS 3.dds and AIRBASE BUILDINGS 3_LM.dds are DXT1 rather than DXT5. It might be worth using DXTBmp to convert them to DXT5 textures to see if that makes a difference. It should make a difference if the objects use an alpha but it might be worth trying.
Steve
pilot18
Cadet
Cadet

Post by pilot18 »

Thanks for the help firebird, that was it. I still had an fs9 MAIW_ABO.bgl installed and thats what messed it up. Thank you so much for the help!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Glad we got it sorted.
Steve