The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Hello John Young

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
Havoc11
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FS9

Hello John Young

Post by Havoc11 »

Hi John Young

I've recently returned to flight simming with the release of MSFS 2020 after a very long break away, back in the day I really used to enjoy MSFS 2004 and was part of a group of other like minded individuals called vUSAFE.

During this time we came across a very talented chap called John Young who designed some scenery for us that was a million times better than what was in game at that time. John created airfield scenery for us for RAF Fairford and RAF Mildenhall, my memory is a little fuzzy after 16 years but I also think he also kindly created airfield scenery for us for RAF Lakenheath. The scenery was fantastic, we loved it and if I can boot up an old external hard drive I'm sure I'll find plenty of great screenshots of the scenery John created.

So, today once my memory cells started to work I remembered it was John that created this wonderful scenery and decided to google his name which led me here to this group and forum.

So this is me saying hello, I can see that John is still very active with scenery and aircraft models for FSX and was wondering whether he has migrated over to the delights MSFS 2020 and has any plans to develop scenery for MSFS 2020 ?

Cheers

Havoc11
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Hello John Young

Post by TimC340 »

John can answer for himself, I’m sure, but most of us are waiting for the SDK for FS20 to be fleshed out a bit. There are several people over at FSDeveloper who are laying the groundwork for the techniques required, but at the moment scenery design - particularly airfield design - is pretty labour-intensive and a bit hit-and-miss.

Perhaps more relevantly for MAIW, as yet there is no way to interact with the AI engine, or add AI aircraft to the sim. That’s a part of the SDK that is not yet available. It will all come in time, I’m sure, but for now it’s probably not likely to get a lot of attention from people here.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Hi Havoc11, your recollections certainly go back a few years - probably 15 or so.

I moved away from custom scenery several years ago in favour of AI aircraft because the timescales were much shorter, the projects more varied and the Gmax modelling much more challenging and interesting.

My main aim at the moment is to complete the Typhoon project, which is about the most comprehensive I've ever tackled. It's almost done, after which I will need to take a break and collect my thoughts.

I design for 3 sim versions - FS9, FSX and P3Dv4/v5, but that can't go on - it's just too demanding for large projects, even with all the great help this time around. FS9 has low demand these days, FSX is neither here nor there and P3D usage seems split between V4 and v5, the latter of which I don't have.

Tim has very ably described the problems at the moment of trying to design anything for FS2020. I won't be buying it until after the Typhoons are uploaded. Even then I'm not sure that I want to learn Blender (to replace Gmax for 3-D modelling) in advance of knowing exactly what I'm going to use it for, if at all, when the design process, is so unclear.

It's all up in the air at the moment,I'm afraid, but hopefully a path will emerge soon.

John
Havoc11
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FS9

Post by Havoc11 »

Thank you both for replying and explaining things. Absolutely John, real life is more important, I can see from looking around this website since I made my first posting that you have been very active along with many others on here, the work you have all been doing is top class.

I'm really enjoying FS2020 and am looking forward to see how it develops, so far, the community seems very enthusiastic and I'm sure that over time once the developers have got themselves sorted and all the right tools are in place, community created content will flourish.

Happy simming.
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: MSFS

Post by Woogey »

Good Day John Young,

Here we are half way though the Year in 2022, and I am wondering if you have any updated insight as to your plans for MSFS?

A couple of points I would like to touch on. 1) Your Aircraft already in the sim as statics Via Ian McCartney's amazing sceneries. And 2) AiG having good success at converting over the multitude of Airliners they have amassed over the years.

Going on two years after release it seams that people are flocking to MSFS by the masses. It has been a little quiet on that front here at MAIW with no Official Packages available yet. I am a huge fan of your works, and very much look forward to the day that John Young Aircraft are flying around the new sim. To the Above point, I would hope that the already converted statics become active Ai to liven up Ian's Miramar, Nellis, Lakenheath, Coningsby, and Honington.

Thank you for your consideration in helping to provide some insight as to where we stand today, and your intentions for the future.

-Preston
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Hi Preston,

I posted a recent report of my position with MSFS here:

https://militaryaiworks.com/forums/topi ... 00#p208700

I'll hopefully be updating that again shortly with more progress.

John