The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Multi versions of FSX -Steam

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Multi versions of FSX -Steam

Post by Garysb »

Just a quick question can you install multiple versions of FSX steam version
Say - normal & retro

My old gas powered comp wont run FSX but I have aquiredmy sons cast off and added a couple of upgrades so should be ok

Cheers

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Multi versions of FSX -Steam

Post by Firebird »

You can but not like with FS9 where you could just point to a different profile.

What you have to do is have duplicate profile and game folders, and manually rename them when you want to use them. So if your FSX folder is around 16GB in size you will need to have space for another installation of the same size - on the same drive as your steam installation.

Here is a video to show you what to do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGoatqncRsI

One note I will make is that my profile folder is in a different location to him but that could be a Win 10 thing.
Steve
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: FSX

Re: Multi versions of FSX -Steam

Post by gavinc »

Should also be noted that you can install FSX boxed and FSX Steam on the same system. Install FSX boxed first and then FSX Steam will install as a separate installation with its own config files