The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Fort Polk Expanded

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
AirAmerica26
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Fort Polk Expanded

Post by AirAmerica26 »

Sometimes a simple ADE project gets out of hand. All I wanted to do was add additional aircraft and increase the tempo of helo ops between the various FOBs and training areas. Fort Polk gets a lot of visiting units for pre-deployment and summer Guard training. No problem. Write new flight plans for CH47s and H60s the go to each included training site prefixed FPF and add a few more parking spots. But doing that eliminated the port-a-loos and the big canvas tents. It's a weird fixation, but the presence of port-a-potties in remote training areas adds a note of authenticity when on final.
Logistics Area at FPF1 - Expanded

With nothing better to do during a worldwide pandemic the work-around became establishment of a second airport for each FPF, off set just slightly and given an FPXX designation. E.G> FP11. Everything in the original FPF remains and I could drop in added trees, tents, vehicles, parking spaces, buildings and yes, port-a-loos. It even allowed me to use the inflatable canvas wearhouse tents. I scaled one down for the far end of the logistics area at FPF1.
Used them again to give FPF4 a bivouac area. That's an F27 on the steel mat ramp:
FPF2 got a little more action in the south east corner. A check in building was added and a Patriot missile training site:

FPF8 needed port-a-loos at the admin offices and a pool of training vehicles:

Logistic area at FPF1 got crowded. Placed a container on a trailer and populated the inflatable wearhouse:

Fort Rucker helo looking for directions at FPF4:

Training Cadre offices at FPF6:

Evening shots are always nice:

Departing FPF1:

I suppose there is a more elegant way to achieve this, but this left the underlying work intact and kept me off the streets.
Great thanks to Brent and John and the whole MAIW group.
Primo ex Aerias 71 SQN (Eagle)

"Never mistake coincidence for cause and effect." W. Edwards Deming

"The more complex an idea, the more simple minded the opposition"
DMdoc
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: Fort Polk Expanded

Post by DMdoc »

Lovely photos. When & where & for what simulator will the revision be available?
AirAmerica26
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by AirAmerica26 »

DMdoc - This was FS9 and was shared under the "show us your eye candy" invitation for this part of the forum. It's just a personal project never really meant to be placed on public platform. Probably would not translate well because it uses about 13 different libraries. Besides, I think I would be violating an AUP for MAIW packages and probably be seen as disrespecting Brent's fine work.
I shared this and a few in the past partially so it might inspire others to do their own military airports. That and my wife, who looks at my work and asks if anyone will ever see it beside me. She doesn't understand the process but thought it was a shame not to share the final work with like minded folks. Sorry for the long answer. Cheers !

SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

Seek permission to share anything which is modified, then publish it with a list of required libraries and AI aircraft packages... then it wont break anyone's copyright :) AND I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see it!

SeanG
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Having spent some time at JRTC, it would be a welcome update to P3D as well. I've been a part of that "blowing over" port-a-potties. The assault strip at FOB Self can get busy with C-130s, my last visit we had a RCAF visitor.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
AirAmerica26
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by AirAmerica26 »

SeanG wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 19:52 Seek permission to share anything which is modified, then publish it with a list of required libraries and AI aircraft packages... then it wont break anyone's copyright :) AND I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see it!

SeanG
Ok SeanG, I'll give it a shot. I guess I need someone to test the file in FS9. Someone who already has Brent's Fort Polk installed and see if it works for
them before uploading to MAIW. The added flight plans should probably go with it plus a list of helos used. Then I have to contact JohnY and BrentN
because Fort Polk uses the big canvas tents and port-a-loos which are integrated in to the expansion files. Someone might need to PM me to walk thru this. Not an official developer.
Thanks for the faith though.

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I am always available for testing if you need any.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

There's no problem using my scenery objects - glad you made use of them.

John
lewis
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by lewis »

Did JRTC some time back as a Blackhawk crewchief. Was able to see the aggressor helo a couple of times, they didn’t see me.
AirAmerica26
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by AirAmerica26 »

John Young wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 05:23 There's no problem using my scenery objects - glad you made use of them.

John
Thank you sir. Working with Firebird to make the expansion presentable.