The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

MSFS2020

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
nigelf
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

MSFS2020

Post by nigelf »

Will you guys be looking at this for future AI ?
Cheers
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: MSFS2020

Post by Firebird »

The short answer is that we will.

The long answer is that we will be looking to see the procedures involved, the tools available and above all else the information of how the AI and its flight dynamics work. Please be aware that that the skills and tricks that we employ currently are the sum total of 16 years of knowledge, experience and sometimes sheer cunning. How much of this will still be applicable is yet to be found out.

To give you an idea MSFS currently, at time of writing, has an issue where it CTDs if you get between 30x and 50x active AI aircraft. A lot of our stuff will exceed that on one base.

So we will look at it when we have the info on how it works, not available yet, and what tools there are, not much at the moment, and when the sim can cope with us, a bit of work is needed here.

This is not knocking MSFS. At the moment it is a very nice product that is very good, particularly for VFR flying. The thing is that this is different from earlier sims. There is no year model designation and my guess would be that this is a constantly updated and evolving being. We have to wait until the producers get around to our area of interest. Don't forget they haven't even done helos yet.

I would not be surprised if they don't get around to AI for another 12 months. I would love to be proved wrong, but I doubt it.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: MSFS2020

Post by TimC340 »

I totally agree, Steve. I think a year may even be a conservative guess to cure that bug.

On my set up (P3Dv4), with Ultimate Traffic Live, some AIG stuff and pretty much everything MAIW's done, plus some UkMil and ACG, and Orbx traffic as well, it's not unusual to see 3-500 AI aircraft being generated in busy parts of the world. That's exceptional (and I have a Big Beast of a computer driving it!), but it wouldn't last a second in MSFS even if we knew how to get AI working! It'll be a while before Asobo gets around to AI, but they have said that their Living World is important, and the 50 limit is crazy when so many users will want a busy live environment at major civil airfields. The London or New York areas will generate at least four times that number.

In the meantime, it's already been established that FSX flyable aircraft work in MSFS (to a degree), that the AI flight plans are very similar to FSX, that the basics of airfield layouts and parking are not too difficult and that FSX airfields can be imported into MSFS, so we aren't far away. We just need Asobo to fix the capacity bug and give us a bit more detail in the SDK.