The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Reconnecting FS9 and ADE

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Reconnecting FS9 and ADE

Post by TimC340 »

Quick Q: my C drive had a meltdown last week. I've replaced it and reinstalled Windows 10 (version 20H2, build 19042.630), and that went fine. I've reinstalled various programs that then refused to work as the registry was rebuilt. One that didn't need reinstalling was FS9, as the NoCD patch presumably disconnects it from the registry. I don't use FS9 much, but it is useful to see how some MAIW projects were designed to work originally, and I currently have a job from John Young which needs me to use ADE for FS9 - and I can't!

I;ve tried the Flight1 registry repair tool, which tells me it's created a registry entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\FS9... but it hasn't. That registry entry doesn't exist. There is a Microsoft Games entry for FSX:SE under the WOW6432Node, but no mention of FS9.

Anyone else had this? I'd really rather not reinstall FS9 if I don't have to!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Reconnecting FS9 and ADE

Post by Firebird »

Like every MS bit of stuff there is a registry entry and every addon for FS9 uses it. Now the original location for the entry has changed for 64 bit machines.
I will check my system and update the location on my system.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Thanks Steve. I'd like to know what the Flight1 widget has actually done, but I'm damned if I can see it!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

OK The FS9 entry is in the same place as the FSX one.

To make life simpler for you I have exported my FS9 entry so that you can run it and add it to your system.

NOW What you have to do first is edit the .reg file to put in your path in both keys otherwise it still won't work.
I know that reg entries should never, never be run without carefully understanding what they are doing, but as you have to amend it anyway and it is a simple one it is very easy to check.

Any text editor can be used to view/amend it.
Attachments
FS9 reg.zip
(328 Bytes) Downloaded 26 times
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Thanks Steve. Jon's given me the 'nuclear option' over at FSDev which allows ADE to run for any version of FS even if they're not in the registry. This might actually be very useful for those who want to develop for versions of the sim which they don't wish to run - all you'd need is the appropriate SDK. His post is here.