The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

RAF Bruggen OPEN BETA

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
ado4567
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Re: RAF Bruggen OPEN BETA

Post by ado4567 »

will that been for flight sim 2004 got the scenery but I have not got anything to go on it
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: P3D

Post by tango234 »

No, it is P3D only.

Search Bruggen on avsim and you can find an FS9 version.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Eric, no, everything is fine. Only difference to the original saved AFCAD (ad4) file is the missing Brüggen ground background picture (only set and visable in ADE...) and the airport background polygons where I set new landclass and some flatten areas.
So to be sure all these missing polys and my picture are on the correct place, I would prefere to only import your improved parts somehow.
But meanwhile I reworked my flightline area a little by doing a screenshot of yours :wink: . Now I am just testing the behaviour of the returning jets (exciting :D ). Will report as soon as I have a result.
Your credit will be untouched.
Regards, Manfred.
Bora
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Bora »

Exciting indeed ! :D

Did you notice that I moved the parkingspots at the flightline just a little bit closer towards the runway ? This to extend the taxipath a little when the aircraft are arriving and allowing them just a bit more taxi lenght to park straight...

Looking forward to test your version of it...
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Eric,

just answered your PM.
My trials failed, I had no success so far - but this will result by some faults of mine, for sure! I have sent my AFCAD for you to have a look at, please.
I have to relativise my statement in the previous post. All polygons (landclass, flattens...) go into the CVX.bgl which you did not process (shame on me...).
So indeed I will now try your version and let you know how it works!!!
Regards, Manfred.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Just tested your AFCAD - unfortunately, some of important parts seem to be missing. I have lots of trees on the air base suddenly. So I will use my original files and hope you can find the mistakes in it.
Maybe a screenshot with some written hints would be great for me to correct possible wrong set paths....
Regards, Manfred.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Bora wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 17:20 @ Steve, thanks for the suggestion ! I actually tried that already but tried again... Increasing or decreasing the width of the taxi link has no effect unfortunately... The wide taxi turns also appear during taxiing from the runway towards the parking area:

Ah well it was worth a try. There a couple of things that you can try that will affect the radius. One is, as detailed earlier making the wheel base smaller, but you may well have to adjust the height of the nose wheel if you move that to avoid the wheel sinking or holding off on take off and landing.

Another option is to increase the steer angle of the nose wheel to move the nose round quicker.

The final option is to slow the aircraft down before it turns in. Now it does automatically anyway but obviously not enough. You can try increasing the toe_brakes_scale slightly which means it will slow down faster. Remember not to increase it too much or you will find that the aircraft roll out will be a lot shorter than you think. Maybe use it in conjunction with the next item.
You can add extra nodes on the afcad on the pan. Aircraft automatically reduce speed before a node, as it might be a turning point. If you are going to do that I would suggest starting with only one extra node per turning point to see the effect and adjust as necessary.

You remember that some people had issues with the RNZAF T-6s flipping over when trying to turn around on the runway at Woodburne, NZWB, and the way I got around that was by adding quite a few nodes on the runway to slow it down enough so it didn't flip over.
Steve
Bora
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Bora »

Manschy wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 21:01 Just tested your AFCAD - unfortunately, some of important parts seem to be missing. I have lots of trees on the air base suddenly. So I will use my original files and hope you can find the mistakes in it.
Maybe a screenshot with some written hints would be great for me to correct possible wrong set paths....
Hmmm, very strange... are you sure that my ADE file is causing this ? Is your CVX.bgl also still in your ETUR scenery folder ?

I already spotted some issues with your plumbing version, will send you a PM to point them out... :smt003
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Thank you, Eric.
I would like indeed use my original file. I had too many headache in the past with changing AFCADs, groundpolys etc.
Close to the end I try to keep working stuff 8)
Regards, Manfred.
Bora
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Bora »

@ Steve, I tried adding a bunch of nodes but still the Phantom FGR2 will not make the turn, the red lines with arrows is the path it takes:

I guess it is not scenery or ADE related and the only thing that helps is making a change in the aircraft.cfg for the aircraft that can not make the turns sharp enough... Like I said it's not only happening when parking but also when exiting the runway or taxiing towards a parking area...

Thanks for your suggestions !

Strange thing I just found out is that when I set the Simulation Rate in the P3D options menu to 4x Speed, the turns look much better, although still not perfect...
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK Now try increasing the nose steering parm. As you have slowed down the aircraft with the nodes you should not have any issues with it flipping. See if that makes a difference.
Steve
Bora
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Bora »

Firebird wrote: 06 Jan 2021, 07:57 OK Now try increasing the nose steering parm. As you have slowed down the aircraft with the nodes you should not have any issues with it flipping. See if that makes a difference.

No joy with changing the "Steer Angle" parameter, increasing or decreasing it has no effect at all on the Phantom FGR2. I will stick with changing the "Longitudinal Position" parameter in the aircraft.cfg as I announced earlier, the resulting behaviour while taxiing and parking are perfect and I do not see any side effects when touching down or taking off... No need for adding nodes to slow the aircraft down either...

Eric
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Eric/Manni, are you sure the anti-pushback nodes are straight (as best you can)?

John
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Hmm - to be honest, I am torn between Eric's work and using a simple methode to let the returning aircraft simply stopping backwards. I think most of the users will not notice the amount of effort to let the jets act like in reality, if they will have any visiting AI aircraft at all.
I am delighted with Erics work which make Brüggen more real - You have to know that I am busy with the correct grass colour of the blastwalls and mounts all over the airbase, so to me each detail is very welcome....
That means, that I am very interested to making some changes inside an AI aircraft's cfg to get my visiting jets doing that what they did those days in real. I am changing the soundai to let them sound real.
But I don't think most of the users will do.
So to keep the scenery install as simple as possible (it is much complicated because of many different paths where the folders and files have to go to already...), I would appreciate a possible plumbing methode, but without changing anything inside an AI aircraft's cfg which I won't have to add into the manual additionally...
Regards, Manfred.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Plumbing parking is a pain. It's much easier playing with aircraft cfg files! And I totally approve of trying to get some decent sound for AI aircraft, though I haven't really succeeded for many of them. Listening to F4s whispering past on take off really destroys the immersion!
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

TimC340 wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 12:13 It's much easier playing with aircraft cfg files!
For us this is true, Tim. But Manfred will have to deal with support requests from many people who have never opened an aircraft.cfg before.
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant

Post by Bora »

Manfred, if a particular AI aircraft can not make a taxi turn correctly in your scenery it has nothing to do with your scenery or the AFCAD/plumbing... You will notice that for instance the Phantom FGR2 will make very wide turns even when exiting the runway or taxiing towards the parking area... This will happen in other sceneries as well but obviously nobody has really noticed this yet ? So I wouldn't make this issue something that you need to solve with the release of your scenery... It's something that eventually needs to be looked at for all AI aircraft while being converted for use in P3D...

Would be interesting to see if this also happens in FS9, I will do a test to find out...

Eric
Bora
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Bora »

John Young wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 06:38 Eric/Manni, are you sure the anti-pushback nodes are straight (as best you can)?

John
John, you mean that the arrow of the taxilink in between the node and the parkingspot still needs to point straight (same line as the taxilink) towards the parkingspot correct ?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Correct. When you drag the anti-pushback node to the centre, it has to be kept straight and also not go behind the centre. It's difficult to do as the distance reduces to about nothing. I find it slightly easier to do do in AFX than ADE. If the line isn't straight, the aircraft will return to park at an angle, no matter how sensitive the steering is.

John
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Some weeks before, I did some experiments with another blue normal node that was set extremly close to the center blue spot of the green parking spot.
That seems to work...
Regards, Manfred.