The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

MAIW JMAI North-American F-100 Super Sabre Conversion Support

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Conversion Packages for FSX and P3D in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: MAIW JMAI North-American F-100 Super Sabre Conversion Support

Post by TimC340 »

ejwells409 wrote: 12 Oct 2022, 02:08 Henk, my mistake I guess, so I found the native conversion and swapped mdl files (keeping the same textures however). Still have the same problem though. Fine in FSX and transparent in P3D.
I strongly suggest you delete the entire F100 package you’re using - all if it - and replace it with a newly-downloaded P3D-compatible version. Don’t try and substitute individual models or textures; the FS9 version will always give problems in P3D.
ejwells409
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by ejwells409 »

Thanks Tim,

Already done that and the problem continues.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Ok. This does remind me of a kind of similar problem I had with some of JY’s aircraft in FSX:SE, and it had to do with that sim’s display settings - something to do with minimum pixel size in the sim’s cfg file. It had the effect that some LODs didn’t show, so the aircraft would pop in and out of sight as the distance varied. I found the answer on one of the other forums, adjusted the particular value to be the same as MS FSX and the problem was solved. I’ve not heard of anything similar in P3D, but it could be related. Like yours, it was just that one aircraft type that it affected. I’ll see if I can find the reference again.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

This topic at Avsim covers the issue I’m talking about. For any FSX:SE users, it’s essential to reduce the SmalPartRejectRadius otherwise you get exactly the problem you describe. I’ve never heard of it happening in P3D (or MS FSX) but it may be that your graphics settings have affected it. You can edit it directly in the cfg file, but you may achieve a similar result by increasing the quality of your graphics settings if your computer can take it.

It will affect every AI aircraft (and other scenery objects) differently depending on their LODs, and it may be that the F100 is getting caught out by your particular combination of settings.
Last edited by TimC340 on 16 Oct 2022, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I've just been for a wider search, and this article describes it better - for FSX:SE. The thing is, the 'smallpartrejectradius' parameter doesn't appear in the FSX.cfg file and must be added. That will be the same in prepar3d.cfg, I'm sure - but I don't know what the default is. In FSX it's 1, in FSX:SE it's 2 - which is why AI sometimes disappears in FSX:SE. I suspect the default in P3D is also 1, so entering the parameter may not help - but it might. Back up the original cfg first (it's in ***\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5) then enter the parameter under the [SCENERY] heading.
ejwells409
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ejwells409 »

Tim,

My thanks for researching this, however adding that parameter had no effect. Actually not only do the airplanes disappear as I move closer to them, but the extra animations (main gear extension, exhaust and intake covers, pitot tube extension and boarding ladder) don't work either. When I'm able to see the airplanes the main gears are up and only the nose gear shows. When they taxi, the ladder remains in place as well as the covers and I'm pretty sure the pitot tube remains stowed as well. It is baffling given that these are native FSX and no reason they shouldn't work well in P3D_V4.5. I'm also using C-47's and they work fine.
ejwells409
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ejwells409 »

Ok, I'm pretty red-faced right now and owe you Tim and Henk an apology for causing such a big problem that was never a problem at all. . .other than my lack of organizational skills. It seems that all the time I was making changes and updates in an attempt to get the airplanes to work correctly in P3D. . .those changes were only being made to the FSX models. The last changes I made to the ones in the P3D Airplanes folder was on the 9th of this month while I was still working with the FS9 models.

My brain seemed to assume that by process of osmosis the changes in FSX would somehow filter over into the P3D folder.

The models are fine in P3D. Really sorry guys.
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Ed, good to see this is solved now and I appreciate the apology.

Henk.