The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Drag Chute XML.

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
mins
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Drag Chute XML.

Post by mins »

Hello.

I'm curious about Drag Chute XML.

The code I know operates shortly after landing almost at the last stage.

Is there a code that works as soon as it lands?

Please answer and thank you.

hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Re: Drag Chute XML.

Post by hschuit »

Mins, I assume you need a visibility tag to show/hide the chute? Depending on when I want to chute to appear I use:

1. Chute appears when thrust reverser engages (requires thrust reverser enabled in aircraft.cfg). This happens quickly after touchdown.

Code: Select all

<PartInfo>
   <Name>custom_vis_AI_Chute_Reverser</Name>
   <Visibility>
   <Parameter>
   <Code>(A:TURB ENG REVERSE NOZZLE PERCENT:1, percent) 0.10 &gt;</Code>
   </Parameter>
   </Visibility>
  </PartInfo>
2. If you want it even quicker than with the reversers: Chute appears when aircraft is just above the ground (using feet above ground from main gear contact points). The chute disappears at the end of the roll out when the spoilers retract.

<PartInfo>
   <Name>custom_vis_AI_Chute_Alt_Above_Grnd</Name>
   <Visibility>
   <Parameter>
   <Code>(A:SPOILERS LEFT POSITION,percent) 2 &lt; if{ 0 } els{ (A:PLANE ALT ABOVE GROUND, feet) 7.5 &gt; if{ 0 } els{ 1 } }</Code>
   </Parameter>
   </Visibility>
  </PartInfo>
I also tried to trigger the chute by the main or nose wheels touching ground but the problem is when the aircraft bounces, the chute pops on and off which is not nice.

Henk.
mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

hschuit wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 14:16 Mins, I assume you need a visibility tag to show/hide the chute? Depending on when I want to chute to appear I use:

1. Chute appears when thrust reverser engages (requires thrust reverser enabled in aircraft.cfg). This happens quickly after touchdown.

<PartInfo>
   <Name>custom_vis_AI_Chute_Reverser</Name>
   <Visibility>
   <Parameter>
   <Code>(A:TURB ENG REVERSE NOZZLE PERCENT:1, percent) 0.10 &gt;</Code>
   </Parameter>
   </Visibility>
  </PartInfo>
2. If you want it even quicker than with the reversers: Chute appears when aircraft is just above the ground (using feet above ground from main gear contact points). The chute disappears at the end of the roll out when the spoilers retract.

<PartInfo>
   <Name>custom_vis_AI_Chute_Alt_Above_Grnd</Name>
   <Visibility>
   <Parameter>
   <Code>(A:SPOILERS LEFT POSITION,percent) 2 &lt; if{ 0 } els{ (A:PLANE ALT ABOVE GROUND, feet) 7.5 &gt; if{ 0 } els{ 1 } }</Code>
   </Parameter>
   </Visibility>
  </PartInfo>
I also tried to trigger the chute by the main or nose wheels touching ground but the problem is when the aircraft bounces, the chute pops on and off which is not nice.

Henk.
Hello Henk.

Thank you for your quick and kind reply.

By the way, is this code for FS9?

I think the content is a little different. FS9<visible_in_range> ---> </Visibility>, FS9</Part> ---> </PartInfo>..

And ultimately, Chute appear before departure...1 & 2 both codes.ㅠ ㅠ

This is the code I use.

My code appears normally.

Thank you.

<part>
<name>chute</name>
<visible_in_range>
<parameter>
<code>(A:TURB ENG1 REVERSE NOZZLE PERCENT,percent) (A:CENTER WHEEL RPM,grads) * </code>
</parameter>
<minvalue>100</minvalue>
</visible_in_range>
</part>
Attachments
-2021-mar-9-001.jpg
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by hschuit »

Mins, sorry - I forgot you are doing FS9, my code is for FSX/P3D, I do not know how FS9 coding works.

Henk.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Mins, this is the FS9 code that I use for a drag chute:

<part>
<name>drag_chute</name>
<visible_in_range>
<parameter>
<code>
(A:CENTER WHEEL RPM, grads) 10 &gt; (A:FLAPS HANDLE PERCENT, percent) 99 &gt; 80 * *
</code>
</parameter>
<minvalue>1</minvalue>
</visible_in_range>
</part>

The chute will not deploy until the nose wheel is on the ground, which is not a bad thing because a nose-up attitude tends to bury the chute until the aircraft levels on the runway.

I sometimes use radio altitude for spoilers or air brakes, eg for an F-15 air brake that deploys just before touchdown. It's triggered by radio height and it's set at 50ft in this case:

<part>
<name>anim_spoiler</name>
<animation>
<parameter>
<code>
(A:RADIO HEIGHT, feet) 50 &lt; (A:FLAPS HANDLE PERCENT, percent) 99 &gt; 100 * *
</code>
<lag>20</lag>
</parameter>
</animation>
</part>

It may not be sensitive enough closer to the ground for a brake chute, but try it by all means.

John
mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

John Young wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 08:50 Mins, this is the FS9 code that I use for a drag chute:

<part>
<name>drag_chute</name>
<visible_in_range>
<parameter>
<code>
(A:CENTER WHEEL RPM, grads) 10 &gt; (A:FLAPS HANDLE PERCENT, percent) 99 &gt; 80 * *
</code>
</parameter>
<minvalue>1</minvalue>
</visible_in_range>
</part>

The chute will not deploy until the nose wheel is on the ground, which is not a bad thing because a nose-up attitude tends to bury the chute until the aircraft levels on the runway.

I sometimes use radio altitude for spoilers or air brakes, eg for an F-15 air brake that deploys just before touchdown. It's triggered by radio height and it's set at 50ft in this case:

<part>
<name>anim_spoiler</name>
<animation>
<parameter>
<code>
(A:RADIO HEIGHT, feet) 50 &lt; (A:FLAPS HANDLE PERCENT, percent) 99 &gt; 100 * *
</code>
<lag>20</lag>
</parameter>
</animation>
</part>

It may not be sensitive enough closer to the ground for a brake chute, but try it by all means.

John
As expected, John. ^^b

It works perfectly well.

I'm learning one more thing.

Thank you very much.