The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

List of military bases by ICAO?

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
mage
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

List of military bases by ICAO?

Post by mage »

Hi everybody -

I'm presently trying to create a variation on the Excel-based flightplanner by Rysiek Winawer (with his blessing) and have chosen to re-jig it so that it isn't base-centric but aircraft-centric. By this I mean that a long list of aircraft can be provided with basing information appended to the aircraft's details in the spreadsheet. It can thus create fleet-based plans for aircraft with each of them based at different places.

I'm doing this as a side-project for a helicopter package using several of JY's magnif models (albeit in military configuration in some cases), some UTT, some Just Flight etc. It involves 800 civilian helicopters across the UK, at least for my purposes.

There are extensions to the original idea, one being to flag airports that are military bases of whatever service and avoid civilian traffic being routed there by flags set per-airport, but this needs there to be a whole host of airports to flag up as military. I've tried to automate some of this in Excel from the airports I have so far (e.g. if the names contain "Air Base" in the name then they get flagged as unavailable to civilian traffic).

I've seen several lists, including those at Airportcodes, etc, but was wondering whether there is some definitive list of every military base by ICAO ID that might avoid me having to edit the status of airfields manually. So far the airport database is just European, and I'm dreading extending this out further afield when a definitive list could reduce the job to 10 minutes.

If necessary, I may do that, I'd just prefer not to, or I may just leave countries outside of Europe for others to set up as they need to. The list could simply be the ICAOs with no other data, since they are referred to other data, and just the ICAOs presence in a list of military airfields is enough to let me set up the info in the other airfield list where all of this stuff is gathered up.

This question was previously asked back in 2008, but the links given there are now defunct.
morbidfred
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: List of military bases by ICAO?

Post by morbidfred »

Hi Mage

There is a list here, not exactly a list but should make the job of compiling one easier?

https://www.mil-airfields.de/countries.html
mage
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mage »

Thanks for that site, quite interesting!

I think the existing list source is friendlier to use and lends itelf to being imported and massaged into an Excel page (https://www.world-airport-codes.com/alp ... 1620594145 for example) but that set of data might help plug a few gaps in the cases where the military usage isn't evident from the name.

I'm kinda hoping that someone deeply into military AI has a list of ICAOs around the world hanging around on their computer. If not, I can't believe I'm the first person wondering about this!

The issue for me is that I'm spending a lot more time trying to piece together the supporting date than I'm spending writing the software!

Absent a list of global bases I'll just restrict the dataset to Europe and let people expand it using their local knowledge (assuming this thing ever sees the light of day!).
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

I created this excel sheet for the World.
Unfortunately it includes Mil, Civ and waypoints.

It may help in some way.

ATB

Jim

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Am2Fnz2wsOPB41Zwe1J ... f?e=zI6ChL
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
mage
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mage »

jimrodger wrote: 10 May 2021, 07:53 I created this excel sheet for the World.

It may help in some way.
Much thanks, Jim. That is one industrial-grade list!

If I can winkle out a few extra military facilities from the descriptions that'll certainly help, and the coverage is second-to-none, what with over twice the locations I have in my old FS9 setup! I may use parts of it to standardize the location data (ICAO, lat/long & elevations) since what I'm writing relies strongly on the consistency of that data if that's okay with you.
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

mage wrote:
jimrodger wrote: 10 May 2021, 07:53 I created this excel sheet for the World.

It may help in some way.
Much thanks, Jim. That is one industrial-grade list!

If I can winkle out a few extra military facilities from the descriptions that'll certainly help, and the coverage is second-to-none, what with over twice the locations I have in my old FS9 setup! I may use parts of it to standardize the location data (ICAO, lat/long & elevations) since what I'm writing relies strongly on the consistency of that data if that's okay with you.
Help yourself

Jim

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"