The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Amphibious C-130

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Amphibious C-130

Post by VulcanDriver »

Apparently the SEAL teams want a float plane version of the MC-130. So far the picture released show one with flotation bags under the fuselage.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: Amphibious C-130

Post by jimrodger »

"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Personally, I can't see it happening. I think it's usefulness is limited to very specific circumstances
A dirty great C-130 making a splash on landing is going to be noticed. Not what Special Forces like.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

Having been involved in special forces maritime ops, I can state that having the aircraft land on water would confer no significant advantages except for post-op recovery. The process of injecting troops and RIBs is far more efficient from the air (although, it has to be said, not very high!). A proper, smaller, amphibious aircraft would be a better option for extraction, and they already exist.
Jorgen
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by Jorgen »

My memory is sometimes somewhat vague, but I distinctly remember seeing an artist's impression of a flying boat C-130 variant over 30 years or more ago. This was in the British "Profile Publications".

The features I remember were a flying boat modification to the lower fuselage, support floats under the outer wings, and the engine installation resembled the P-3's with overwing exhausts.

Jorgen