The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

KNUW conversion to P3D V5 - Objects not showing

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: KNUW conversion to P3D V5 - Objects not showing

Post by TimC340 »

Ok. I’ll repeat; while I am well aware that some sceneries do not translate into v5.3 without issue*, this version of KNUW is not one of them. As I have shown. I think that whatever you are doing that is preventing a successful import into 5.3 will also prevent a successful import into 4.5.

*P3Dv5.3 introduced new definitions for elements of sloping airfields to allow more nuanced contouring. On ‘lumpy’ ground where the default LM-defined airfield flatten has been changed to these definitions, overlaying an airfield constructed using ADE is problematic. The result is that the default flatten is not removed, and the ADE flatten is not applied. There’s a lot of discussion of this earlier in this thread. A workaround (which doesn’t always work!) is to tie ADE to the v5.2 SDK rather than the v5.3 SDK. This seems to more successfully overwrite LM backgrounds. I understand that using SBuilderX tied to the v5.3 SDK is more successful, but it’s more complex and I haven’t experimented with this approach yet. Jon Masterson is unlikely to revise ADE further for P3D, so we are stuck with what we have.
texxasal
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by texxasal »

TimC340 wrote: 22 May 2022, 07:43 Al, I’m afraid I don’t believe I can share the converted library with you. The accepted protocol is that specific permission must be granted by the author of FS items for any alterations, and that’s taken to include updating the format for later sims. I have updated many Stinstrom airfields (with alterations to reflect real-world changes and using better photoreal backgrounds), but John has left the FS environment and it’s not possible to obtain permission any more.

As I understand it, MAIW did get permission from him to update several airfields to P3Dv4 format for the Matrix product, but (contrary to my earlier statement) KNUW appears not to be one of them. I believe that discussions are ongoing about whether those sceneries can morally be released individually to the Download Hangar. Once that debate is resolved, it may be possible for me and others to contribute our updates for public consumption.

All that said, I have had tacit approval to bring Navy Jax up to date (though it will probably end up with no JS content other than items from the MAIW Libraries), and the recent John Young Vigilante package includes versions of the JS KNQX I updated for FSX, P34 and P35. So I remain hopeful that we will be able to bring even more of the Stinstrom oeuvre to P3D!
Tim,

I understand completely how things get fouled in copyright, proprietary information, etc.

I am making progress with my efforts, and will make the completed version available for MAIW.

I am "stuck" on one item, and from your illustration, you've solved the mystery.

The problem I have is with Whidbey Object Library.BGL. This contains 26 elements, which make up the majority of the custom objects for the scenery.

Now matter what I do so far as "converting" it through ModelConverteX to prepar3dv4.1 or prepar3d v4.4,I cannot get the elements to appear within my scenery, when added via ADE.

Just when I thought I had "it" all figured out, this one .BGL bites me square on the rear.

I get the distributed one imported into MCX, and I can get it exported as Prepar3d V4.x, with no errors.

I add the library objects into ADE, and can get them to "show up" when I place them on the airport.

ADE compiles the ADEP cleanly, but when I refresh the scenery in sim, the objects from this one .BGL don't appear.

I've obviously missed something really simple, and any pointers you could give towards how I can work with this will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Al Rosenberg
San Antonio, Texas
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

You need to include the library in your KNUW Scenery folder, and the textures in the KNUW Texture folder. ADE doesn't inject the actual objects into the ADEP5 file, it only injects the object placings. The sim needs the objects themselves to be in the scenery folder, and it needs the textures otherwise the objects will be black.
texxasal
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by texxasal »

Thanks Tim.

Now, I fell even more stupid (if that's possible) for neglecting the patently obvious. Sure wish PayPal had a way to send Beer.

Regards
Al
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Haha! No worries Al. If we knew all this stuff automatically, there'd be no need for forums like this. I'm still learning, and I make big (no, BIG) mistakes all the time!

Hope you enjoy your new discoveries.