The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Windows 7 problems

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: Windows 7 problems

Post by VulcanDriver »

I've now got my new PC and just setting it up. FS2004 loads instanly now. I get an error when I try to install VFR Photographic Scenery from a CD. I get the error "dll:FSTYPE cannot be found".

Also can someone send me the current FTP details please.

TIA
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Either when you installed you haven't installed whatever uses fstype.dll or it is not in a place that the system looks for it. If it is the second then you need to just register it in its current location.

If you have the Everything search util on your system then it will find it - or not - in seconds.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Looks like fstype.dll is not compatible with Windows 11
I tried to register it but the error said it was not a w11 dll.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK so you have W11 now. I want to know how you managed to get FS9 to load. It is being blocked for me.

It is a problem that is niggling me.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Fs2004 installed first time. I heard that w11 have a safe CD system... Didn't w7 have something similar.

Is your anti-virus software blocking the install.

Fsx installed OK too.
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The install works fine. It just gets blocked by the system from starting. It says it is already active.
I don't know exactly what they have done and how to get around it.

This is after a complete reinstall and using the NoCD patches.

You are correct about the safe cd system being eliminated entire in Windows 10/11 and has been disabled in 7 and 8.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I had that whilst using filezilla if you open task master you can see two processes running. Kill one of them and it works.
Might be that is causing it.

I'm using no CD in my fs2004 too.
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yeah, that is exactly what Tim suggested.
Even after a restart, there is no FS9 process running.
Start the process and there is only one and it shows as 'ERROR - FS9' which is the requestor.

One thing though, I noticed that the parent node comes up as 'Microsoft Flight Simulator (32 bit)' and FS9 process is under that.
Is that what yours says? I am wondering if it is due to the fact that MSFS is also installed on my system and something happened in SU9 that prevents FS9 running because it is the same process name.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I'm at a board meeting Or it could be a bored meeting in Birmingham.. So I'll check when I'm back home tomorrow
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Not a problem.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Right I'm back home. Just checked and I have the same process tree. Never seen on w7. I guess w11 handles the processes differently. Strange my copy of FS9 works fine. FSX starts with an error message then works fine. W11 is one weird beast
John

TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

I’m up to a build beyond the number you reported, Steve, and FS9 (and FSX) are still fine in Win11.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

This is really bugging me. All of a sudden it stops working and a reinstall doesn't fix it.
There has to something that is causing it in the OS but I can find no other cases online, at least with the searches I am doing. I can't report to MS because they no longer support FS9.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

This may help. I ran it it and it changed the registry path. Anthing is worth a try

FS_Registry_Repair.exe

its in my FTP folder
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

As my missus was away this weekend, I decided to try and load FS9 on her PC. Same Win 11 release as mine.
Apart from the fact that there was a hidden window that said that Direct Play needed to be installed it worked no problem.

So, it definitely proves that something on my PC is causing this. No nearer finding out what the hell it is though. There is nothing obvious to me.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Good luck finding the problem certainly a weird one.
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well I fixed it!

How?
I updated MSFS to SU10 yesterday and the problem has gone away. FS9 now runs. I has a feeling that the name in the requestor might be pointing to MSFS as a possible cause and it appears that i was correct.

Why it should only be affecting just me is weird, but I am happy that it is sorted.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Firebird wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 16:55 Well I fixed it!

How?
I updated MSFS to SU10 yesterday and the problem has gone away. FS9 now runs. I has a feeling that the name in the requestor might be pointing to MSFS as a possible cause and it appears that i was correct.

Why it should only be affecting just me is weird, but I am happy that it is sorted.

Well done mate. I had a problem with FSX AI as no traffic was showing. There was a Traffic file that was not in FSX format. AIFP has a wonderful tool that finds FS9 traffic files. Found a WoAI one and converted it. All is now fine.

BTW on my new PC I'm now running with unlimited FPS and sliders maxed out in FSX. It's not even struggling.
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The last time I looked I found that FS9 did go up to 422 fps on my new machine. All very pointless of course. I leave it locked at 60 fps.

Don't get me wrong but I am glad that the problem is fixed, I just wish I knew what it was and why I was seemingly the only one affected. Things like that bug me.

Incidentally i found that the FSUIPC7 not auto-starting problem also seems to be fixed in SU10.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

VulcanDriver wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 12:42 BTW on my new PC I'm now running with unlimited FPS and sliders maxed out in FSX. It's not even struggling.
Well, it's not like you're running 16-year-old software on modern hardware. Oh wait. :wink: