The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

KLNK P3DV5

Let's see em! Please use a third party image hoster such as photobucket.com or postimage.org and copy the link to the screenshot here between image tags.
TheXLumberman
Cadet
Cadet
Version: P3D

KLNK P3DV5

Post by TheXLumberman »

Prepar3D 2022-07-31 19-07-21.png
Prepar3D 2022-07-31 19-06-59.png
I accept help. My discord is TheXLumberman#7988
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: KLNK P3DV5

Post by Firebird »

What sort of help?
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Nice ground polys. What help are you looking for?
TheXLumberman
Cadet
Cadet

Post by TheXLumberman »

Thanks for the reply guys. I already finished the whole AFCAD and now im doing the ground markings. Since its my first scenery, i'll use the photoreal as ground. I was thinking of how i could make the photoreal "follow" the elevations of the airport. As you may know there is a river around the RWY36, this river is a little lower than the airfield elevation, and the photoreal is flat. ( follow the image)

The second problem i was thinking about is the Anotator. I tried using it to create autogen in the vicinity, but when i clicked to open the ground image.bgl, I get a error: "Unable to open file". Am i doing something wrong? ( i tried by looking through tutorials, but didnt work)

The third one is about 3D objects. IDK how im doing these since i have 0 experience on using Blender or Sketchup. I can solve that by watching lots of tutorials on youtube, but idk how ill get real data about the buildings - Height, length, etc -. I'll read about using free libraries on internet, even if i can use the ones from ORBX, i need to search about this.

Sorry for the english, brazilian here.

Basically thats it, lets go going boys :lol:
Prepar3D 2022-08-01 19-46-35.png
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

OK. What you're asking is really the territory of FSDeveloper, but I'll have a go at at least answering some of your stuff.

Your photoreal tile should wrap over the contours you create in the CVX for the airport. If you're creating for P3Dv5.3, you theoretically have a great deal of flexibility over how much contouring you include, but many of us have found that the 5.3 SDK - specifically shp2vec - is broken and doesn't actually allow the CVX to work properly. The answer is to use the 5.2 SDK, but that is quite a bit less flexible. But it's a bit better than 4.5, which uses essentially the same CVX protocols as FSX, and cannot create sloping runways (but it is still possible to create contoured airfields to a degree). SBuilderX is probably the most capable tool for making a detailed contoured surface for your airfield, but it can be done to a limited extent in ADE.

You are lucky that KLNK is covered by Google 3D imagery, so you can observe the buildings from all sides in either Google Maps or Google Earth Pro. Both have the facility to measure buildings well enough that you can create them adequately accurate for the needs of P3D.

The Nebraska ANG ramp in Google Maps

The actual process of making the buildings (and a lot of other things to do with scenery) is explained brilliantly by Bill Womack in his YouTube series *. You can of course use the libraries here on MAIW, but they were created for FS9 and lack much of the detail regarded as appropriate for P3D. Don't use Orbx objects; they are copyright and not for use in other people's sceneries. They're also not very good except in the payware specific airfield sceneries (which are generally excellent).

I would strongly recommend learning and using Blender for creating your scenery objects. SketchUp is very good, but the free Make version has been withdrawn, and the online version is far less capable or reliable. The paid-for version is very expensive! Blender is free, and is constantly being developed. FSDeveloper has plugins that allow the export of Blender models ready-formatted for P3D (or MSFS), though you may need to use v3.0 or earlier for now. If you have SketchUp Make 2017, hold on to it! It's very capable. But it may well be deprecated as Windows is further updated, making it impossible to use in future. That's a shame - I love it (see some of my SketchUp buildings here) - but Blender is far more capable, and is the future of scenery development.

*Bill also explains how to download detailed elevation data to make an accurate depiction of the airfield surroundings; something which is possible for US airfields.
TheXLumberman
Cadet
Cadet

Post by TheXLumberman »

Thank you so much for the reply Tim, i'll keep on doing the scenery and i will sure come back here and re-read a lot of times your message :lol:

As the progress go, i'll be updating this tread with screenshots.
TheXLumberman
Cadet
Cadet

Post by TheXLumberman »

ongoing GA aircraft apron
Prepar3D 2022-08-01 22-53-12.png
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Are you using SBuilder X or Earth Tiles to download the imagery? How are you converting it to a ground poly?
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Are you using SBuilder X or Earth Tiles to download the imagery? How are you converting it to a ground poly?

There’s a good tutorial here which, among other things, describes how to get rid of the unwanted detail in the surface image (ground equipment, vehicles, aircraft) which will make your finished product a lot cleaner.
TheXLumberman
Cadet
Cadet

Post by TheXLumberman »

I watched this tutorial a lot of times when was doing the photoreal, but i decided to keep some detail in the surface image for now. Maybe when i finish all ground markings ill do more one photoreal without vehicles.
TheXLumberman
Cadet
Cadet

Post by TheXLumberman »

Prepar3D 2022-08-02 22-33-29.png
Prepar3D 2022-08-02 22-33-50.png
Today's progress
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Looks good. What are program(s) are you generating your ground poly and ground markings in?
TheXLumberman
Cadet
Cadet

Post by TheXLumberman »

Basically, i'm using ADE with the GP Line option and the default textures
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

OK, that's what I thought. You're getting very good results with that! And the photoreal - is that from SBuilderX?
TheXLumberman
Cadet
Cadet

Post by TheXLumberman »

The photoreal i used FSET with photoshop to get rid of some planes
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Ah, ok. I’ve never managed to get FSET to work!
TheXLumberman
Cadet
Cadet

Post by TheXLumberman »

If you want some help, idk what's your trouble but maybe i can try to do something =D
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

That’s kind of you, but I’m happy to do it with SBuilderX. I think it achieves the same thing.