The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Austrian Typhoons P3D

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Austrian Typhoons P3D

Post by TimC340 »

The best thing I can suggest is installing Little Navmap. Within the map it displays, you can click on the airfield and the software will show you what sceneries are active for that airfield. You can then (in the appropriate folder, not in LNM) remove any entries for the unwanted version(s). That, hopefully, will include any excludes that may be suppressing the MAIW objects.

Are you sure the airfield layout you see is the MAIW one (even without buildings)?
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zsoltfireman »

TimC340 wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 12:40 The best thing I can suggest is installing Little Navmap. Within the map it displays, you can click on the airfield and the software will show you what sceneries are active for that airfield. You can then (in the appropriate folder, not in LNM) remove any entries for the unwanted version(s). That, hopefully, will include any excludes that may be suppressing the MAIW objects.

Are you sure the airfield layout you see is the MAIW one (even without buildings)?
Yes MAIW!

What files should the MAIW Scenery Library Objects FSX folder contain?

https://kepkuldes.com/images/c1ad8e533e ... 2cb811.jpg
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

If you're using the MAIW Scenery Objects Library for FSX, you need to convert it to P3Dv4.4 for the objects to reliably display in v5. All of the LOXZ objects you appear to be missing are in the file LOXZ_Scenery_Object_Library_FSX.bgl. You must also convert this file to P3Dv4.4 for the objects to show in v5.

I don't use these directories that you show in your screenshot because my P3Dv5 MAIW installation is all based on Matrix, and I update each file and airfield as I install them to ensure that they will work in P3Dv5. Even then, sometimes I come upon airfields that won't display properly, and it can take a long time to get it to work. Having other addons (such as Orbx sceneries) can complicate it too - I'm currently going through a load of airfields around London to ensure that stock objects are removed, unwanted Orbx airfields are removed, and the required airfields (MAIW, UK2000, my own, and a few others) have a working CVX flatten and all objects converted to P3Dv4.4 in Model Converter X. Each airfield takes maybe 30 minutes to do - and even then, some refuse to cooperate!
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zsoltfireman »

TimC340 wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 18:02 If you're using the MAIW Scenery Objects Library for FSX, you need to convert it to P3Dv4.4 for the objects to reliably display in v5. All of the LOXZ objects you appear to be missing are in the file LOXZ_Scenery_Object_Library_FSX.bgl. You must also convert this file to P3Dv4.4 for the objects to show in v5.

I don't use these directories that you show in your screenshot because my P3Dv5 MAIW installation is all based on Matrix, and I update each file and airfield as I install them to ensure that they will work in P3Dv5. Even then, sometimes I come upon airfields that won't display properly, and it can take a long time to get it to work. Having other addons (such as Orbx sceneries) can complicate it too - I'm currently going through a load of airfields around London to ensure that stock objects are removed, unwanted Orbx airfields are removed, and the required airfields (MAIW, UK2000, my own, and a few others) have a working CVX flatten and all objects converted to P3Dv4.4 in Model Converter X. Each airfield takes maybe 30 minutes to do - and even then, some refuse to cooperate!
I'd rather not do it all, because for me it's Chinese...
When I install a package recommended for P3Dv4, the pdf instructions don't mention any complicated editing, only what to copy and where to copy it. :cry:
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

When these packages were constructed, the authors had no idea what future P3D developments would do to their compatibility. We are lucky that we are able to continue using sceneries in P3Dv5 that were originally designed for FS9 (and some for even earlier versions of MSFS) through the use of ADE and MCX. The price is that you have to learn a little bit about using these very useful tools.

As time goes on, there will be less and less new scenery for the derivatives of the original MSFS. The 2020 MSFS has the majority of the market now, and even X-Plane has overtaken P3D. It’s possible that Lockheed Martin will produce a version 6 that more effectively competes with MSFS (although the games market is not their main aim), but with each new version compatibility with old sceneries gets more difficult.

Like the fairly substantial group that still use FS9, I guess there will be a hard core of P3Dv4 or 5 users that will stay with that sim for several more years, but to make the best of it you’d be well advised to learn these tools, at least at a basic level.