The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

fsx installation

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

fsx installation

Post by VulcanDriver »

I was reinstalling FSX. Disk1 worked fine albeit taking hours, Disk2 was inserted but then it wanted Disk2 inserted even though it was. Install got in a loop and the only way was to cancel it. By what I've read this a common problem but why now. Installed perfectly a few weeks ago.

BTW I was doing a reinstall as Acceleration doesn't need SP1 Installed according to Microsoft. Apparently it causes problems including not adding the SDK

Update. I copied both disks into a folder, installed ok but even then it was asking for disk 2 to be inserted in the drive and the install cras
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: fsx installation

Post by Firebird »

That is because at some point the installation looks for a disk named 'Disk2'.

What might be worth trying is to copy the disks into individual folders. Then create an iso with one of various programs, and mount the iso as a virtual device. Obviously you would need to make sure that the second iso was called the correct name, which you could get from just loading the real disk2 into your PC drive and seeing what it is called.

If it is just a glitch with the second disk then maybe just create an iso for Disk2 first. If it is successful then you could create an iso for Disk1 just for safety and backup reasons.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Good idea. Strange that it's happening to many FSX users. Microsoft won't help as FSX is no longer supported.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Your issue plus my FS9 issue does make me wonder if MS has done something under the covers to block these old games in certain circumstances.
As they are their own and don't support them they can do what they like with impunity.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

We often thought that when I worked in IT. When it got near to the release of a new Windows version we used to see an increase errors and BSD occurring.

BTW the new error msg is

0x80040702
Failed to install GameuxinstallHelper.dll

Strange it's only happened this week...
John

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Good find. I'll download it

Cheers
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

John Young wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 15:39 Does this help John?

https://windll.com/dll/microsoft-corpor ... tallhelper

John
I've downloaded it. It scanned my system but didn't fix it. I also went to their website, clicked on the link for the DLL, got a thank you but no download. Has anyone got the dll on their system that could share either me please.
John

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Here you go John. Hope it helps.
Attachments
For John.zip
(33.29 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I checked my system and I don't have it. I also did some checking and it is published by MS but it seems to be for Gears of War and I have seen mention of Grand Theft Auto. I checked the PC my missus uses and it doesn't have it either. Having said that the only game she has on it is FS9 which i installed as a test.
The page for info i found is here https://windowsbulletin.com/files/dll/m ... helper-dll.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi All

Thanks to JY I have now got a working FSX with Acceleration. It was the missing dll that was causing problems.

Thanks to all
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Spoke to soon. FSX was working before I shut down the PC, but after starting up I now get this error

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect."

How can something change without me doing anything!
John

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I don't know if it's a factor John, but my .dll was from FSX Deluxe not Acceleration.

This might also help John:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... b13612e304

I also read that doing a "Repair" of FSX may also fix the problem.

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

John Young wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 09:12 I don't know if it's a factor John, but my .dll was from FSX Deluxe not Acceleration.

This might also help John:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... b13612e304

I also read that doing a "Repair" of FSX may also fix the problem.

John
I deleted Acceleration and I've been tested it all day and so far the problem hasn't returned.

More testing tomorrow

Cheers
John

pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

I am trying to install FSX SDK. The install from the disk went ok, now I am trying to install SDK sp1a. Is there supposed to be and executable to install sp1a or is it a manual copy and past from the sp1a file to in SDK folder? I tried this approach and when I attempted to install sp2, I receive an error that says sp1a needs to be installed first. The SDK folder has not been installed to the default location, I pointed the SDK install from disk 1 to another location. Attempting to install in a Windows 11 22H2 environment. Any guidance or help would be appreciated.

Paul
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

Forgot to mention, I am using FSX Deluxe Edition.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

Frankly, forget it. Yes, you have to install the various FSX SDKs in order to get to the final configuration. However, if you download and install the P3D v1 SDK, everything is taken care of. It's available at FSDeveloper - here
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

thanks, I'll give it a try.
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

I took a look at the download and it appears to be for P3D, will this work with FSX Deluxe Edition? Also, I do not have FSX installed in the default location, FSX is installed on my H:\ drive. Should I install the SDK files to the default C:\ drive location or to the H:\ drive where I have FSX installed? Thanks.

Paul
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

Yes, it is the P3Dv1.4 SDK, as I said. In my experience, it is entirely compatible with all versions of FSX, and avoids the FSX SDK installation nightmare described here. It doesn’t matter where you put it on your computer, but I would advise keeping it out of the ‘Program Files’ folders to avoid UAC issues. The various programs that refer to the SDK generally have to be pointed to it if it’s not in the default location, but that’s not a big deal.