The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Boeing-Saab T-7A Red Hawk

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Boeing-Saab T-7A Red Hawk

Post by John Young »

I have wanted to produce the T-7A for some time now, but the information to do it has been inadequate and somewhat confusing. However, things have become a little clearer with the aircraft lately and I have made a start. My intention was/is to build on an initial package for FSX and P3D (maybe for MSFS too) as developments at Boeing are publicised and the aircraft go into service.

For the moment I feel constrained on what I want to produce for any sim version, if anything. The contributions made to Lakenheath and Selfridge ANG Base for MSFS are held up centrally in MAIW with no information as to what is happening. I’ve been trying to find out for almost 3 weeks now, but with no response. There is no category in the MAIW library to upload MSFS packages to, and in any case new work of any description, doesn’t seem to be being made available. The last package was released over two months ago. I understand real life pressures, but there is a consequence in the longer term if there is no work-around. I could upload to Avsim, but I am reluctant to break the MAIW link.

Anyway, in the hope I can get this to fruition, here is the T-7A project as it currently stands:

The Boeing-Saab T-7A is a two-seat advanced trainer that will replace the Northrop T-38 Talon in the USAF. Some 351 aircraft are on order, with the first production aircraft having a planned delivery to Randolf AFB, Texas, next year.

The first protype (T-X) first flew in December 2016 and in September 2019 the aircraft was Christened as the T-7A “Red Hawk” in honour of The Tuskegee Airmen who flew red-tailed aircraft in WWII. Two T-X aircraft are numbered N381TX and N382TX and initially flew with a two- tone grey paint scheme. I can’t be totally sure, but I think these aircraft were subsequently painted with red tails - the first two aircraft in the flightline screen shot. I can’t be sure, because they bear no visible serial numbers with the red tails and the few photos out there have no date references that I could see.

In April 2022, Boeing rolled out the first Engineering & Manufacturing Development (EMD) jet at a ceremony at Lambert, St Louis. The paint scheme drops the darker grey on the forward fuselage and the red tail bore the code “RA” for Randolf and “99 FTS”, which is the original Tuskegee squadron number, since adopted by the present day Randolf squadron, flying the T-1A Jayhawk. This aircraft is the third along the flight line screen shot and looks like this:

I have found no photograph of this paint scheme in the air, neither does it bear a serial number. Scramble lists the T-7A aircraft as follows with 21-7001 and 21-7002 being active:

I suspect that the “RA” aircraft is 21-7001 and the tail has been repainted accordingly and the “RA” paint is redundant for now:

The added puzzle is that photographs of the “RA” aircraft has slime lights. However, these do not appear on the only two photographs I could find of 21-7001 and 21-7002. I have added them until things get clearer:

The models and paints might need a bit more work on them, particularly when a better 3-view diagram appears, but hopefully it’s a start:

From what I’ve read, the remaining 3 EMD aircraft are to become active in the short time to the end of this year. The 5 will fly from the Boeing facility at Lambert International and from Edwards AFB. I assume the two T-X aircraft will remain at Lambert. I'll think about AFCADs and flight plans once things are clearer.

If anyone discovers anything in the coming few weeks, then please post. I’ll continue with my searches in the meantime.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Boeing-Saab T-7A Red Hawk

Post by Firebird »

Nice looking model there, JY.
Steve
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by f4nutter »

ah welcome back from your MSFS venture you have been missed.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

That's a pretty aeroplane. Look forward to seeing it in-sim, if we can get new downloads added!
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

TimC340 wrote: 12 Nov 2022, 11:53 That's a pretty aeroplane.
I always thought it looked like a Super Hornet had a really drunk night with a Gripen, but no less I too am excited to see it! Glad aircraft are still being developed for P3d!!
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

Nice, I look forward to having a go at soem of the paints once you release this package.
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Still mulling over my take on the new jet, as the T-38 really is a fine looking machine standing still. Great start with the limited data out now.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've been checking the net regularly for news about the production of the Red Hawk. Alas I read today that complications with the ejection seat system have delayed delivery to the Air Force until the third quarter of 2024.

John
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

yes I saw that Jon.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

As discussed in this topic, https://militaryaiworks.com/forums/topic/20093, I have packaged the models and paints for the pre-production T-7As that I have made so far. They can be downloaded from my Cloud Server for now:

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/GTFz2rN7Xh

The package comprises the two T-X prototypes and the two pre-production aircraft 21-7001 and 7002, the latter having flown from Lambert on the 28 June 2023. No AFCAD or Flight plans are included. The package is for FSX and P3D.

The delay for in-service aircraft is now believed to be sometime in 2025.

John
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

Thank you!
geoffj
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by geoffj »

John,

Many thanks for this, great work as always

Best regards,

Geoff
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Sweet!! Thanks!
Kelleymoe
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Kelleymoe »

Thank you John for sharing!

Mike
Mike Franks
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Apologies, but I have omitted the effects files for the lights and afterburner. I'll sort that out in the morning.

John

Update: I have added the effect files to the zip and replaced the link above, which is now to the updated file. If you downloaded before the update today, please download again, extract the effects files and add them to your FSX or P3D effects folder. Obviously, no additional action is needed if downloading after today's post.

John
lewis
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by lewis »

Hello, just a silly question. Is there any way to modify/change a FSX model to FS9? I am still on the FS9 si ulator because of the amount of nice sceneries and aircraft I have been adding. Would hate to discard all of them to start again in another version. Thanks in advance for any info. Lewis

Never mind, just found the answer posted in another entry I had made and sadly, it is no way it can be done. So, I guess i’ll have to just keep hoping somebody creates some of them really nice new models in FS9.