The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Army Air Corps WAH-64 Apaches by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

You'll have to wait till the Brits in the group get up in the AM your time to answer this for you, I'm not 100% sure so I won't even begin to speculate. You can rest assured that we just don't do these things willy nilly.

Also remember that we can't possibly create a package that matches your exact setup or anyone else's for that matter.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
HC136TH
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by HC136TH »

@MIKE JG:

What is that large aircraft in your Signature banner? That's not the C-5, is it? :shock:
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: P3D

Post by btaylo24 »

Its an Ai Antonov 124 from Drew I believe...Available on his global AI site....

barry
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

kungfuman wrote:Oh dear,

Middle Wallop is causing havoc. It ought to be at 297ft amsl. I take it there must've been a good reason to drop the airfield height by nearly fifty feet?

I can't use the additional AP***.bgl file, as I would lose previous edits that other sceneries have required. Could someone provide the xml code for the modified section, so I can incorporate it into my current AP***.bgl file please? Also, a little detail by way of a comment about what exactly is being changed by the code would be a welcome bonus.

Cheers,
Dan
I am guessing here but the reason that its been dropped by nearly 50' is that MS put the default at 249' so the afcad designer had no choice. We have to assume default scenery and mesh, but maybe he can explain it better if i am wrong.
It makes the scenery appear with a couple of small ridges on two sides for me, I assume due to my mesh, but nothing that I can't live with or that looks out of place. It may not be 100% accurate, especially to people in the know, but I would rather have the scenery than not.

Maybe a more interesting question would be what other mods have you done to the AP.bgl to make it so special?
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

I modified the height of the AP file so that the AI a/c didn't sit below the AFCAD. The change only affected the Middle Wallop airfield. It was tested on my native FS set up and worked OK.

I normally use VFR scenery and the Just Flight UK Mesh, in that case I don't use the MAIW scenery or AFCAD.

As has been said before we only make AFCADs and scenery files to work with the FS Scenery out of the box as we cannot even begin to comprehend what individual scenery set ups users have. We know that even within MAIW there are several different arrangements, so we use the vanilla FS set up.

Thanks for using our package.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kungfuman »

No probs! As always MAIW packages remain superior :D

Thanks for the detail John, I'll try incorporating your AP edit into my own AP file. However, I'm also thinking of reinstalling that same vfr scenery again on my system. I don't suppose you would be willing to share your own EGVP afcads that are compatible with the mesh? Just a thought.

Many thanks...

Dan
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

Middle Wallop is a bit of a nightmare for an AFCAD designer. The real airfield sits on the side of a small hill, there isn't really anywhere that's flat, on the southern side of the airfield there is actually quite a pronounced drop off down into Nether Wallop village. So much so that in the old Chipmunk days ATC couldn't see the aircraft lining up when there was a northerly or north-westerly runway.

When on a southerly/south-easterly runway you had to land down slope, one of my friends on the same course as me landed long, went over the lip and barely managed to stop before ploughing through a hedge into someone's garden. Happy days! :lol:
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Sounds like good times!
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

kungfuman wrote:No probs! As always MAIW packages remain superior :D

Thanks for the detail John, I'll try incorporating your AP edit into my own AP file. However, I'm also thinking of reinstalling that same vfr scenery again on my system. I don't suppose you would be willing to share your own EGVP afcads that are compatible with the mesh? Just a thought.

Many thanks...

Dan
Hi Dan

Amazing as it seems I've not done an AFCAD yet, that's the trouble of working for MAIW. It leaves little time for FS :wink:

Not that I'm complaining of course.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
BLACKCAT
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by BLACKCAT »

I installed the package last night. Whilst the [Middle Wallop] buildings are sitting at ground level, as are the aircraft, the hardstandings are about 50`up in the air tho` fully visible in the vertical view. What do I have to alter to get the airfield and aprons to coincide. Thanks; excellent work as always.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Have you tried using the optional bgl it mentions in the readme?
Make sure you backup or rename the original first.
Steve
lowlevelRAF
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by lowlevelRAF »

Hi guys,

I downloaded this pack for FS2004 when it was first released, and it is fab :)!! But i have now decided to install it into FSX. I have only 1 problem....At Middle Wallop it looks like a live bomb range for the RAF :cry: !! I have floating taxi-ways and craters etc. I tried the Extra BGL. file but it didnt work ( i know its for FS9 but no harm in trying :)). Could anyone help me out please :)? Again the package, with all the other MAIW packages I have, is fab and i have lots of fun getting in formation with the ai, but just this little problem :)

All the best,

Matt :)
vAOC vRAF.net (On Vatsim)
Current projects: RAF Brize Norton, RAF Lossiemouth & RAF Odiham.
Complete: RAF Valley
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi Matt,
The file, as you have found out, definitely won't work in FSX as they are definitely not compatible in that way.

I have not heard about anybody having a scenery issue or fix for FSX.

I am guessing here but maybe ADE can help here with a flatten, not too sure of its FSX capabilities but I know it has more than FS9. Otherwise somebody else may have an individual solution that they might like to share.
Steve
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

ADE should do the trick considering it was designed for FSX only (before the 9X release), though I have yet to fix my Middle Wallop AFCAD in this way.
lowlevelRAF
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by lowlevelRAF »

Ok thanks for the help guys :) Would it be a help if posted a screen shot of my Middle Wallop?

Thanks again :)

tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Probably not considering that we know exactly what the problem is-unless you've fixed it already that is :wink:
lowlevelRAF
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by lowlevelRAF »

I think its the flattern to be honest... I'll gave a shot anyway, easier the let the picture explain the problem :wink:

MTN1540
Cadet
Cadet

Post by MTN1540 »

Really nice package, thanks for making it.

I have just installed it but I am having the same problem with my aircraft hovering at 50ft above the ground.

The read me says "If you should get floating AI at Middle Wallop try replacing the existing file with this one AP947130.bgl. located in the optional bgl folder"

My AI is on the ground but I am the one floating and I have no optional BGL folder anyway :oops:

Any advise greatly welcome, I apologise in advance if I am missing the obvious.

Thanks

Richard
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

FS9 or FSX?
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
hgschnell
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Army Air Corps WAH-64 Apaches by MAIW

Post by hgschnell »

I had the elevation problems in FS9 at EGVP too.
(the optional AP947130.bgl did not fix it).

After using SBuilder I could solve it (76m elev. instead of 90m).

I had to replace MAIW_EGVP_Flatten.bgl and MAIW_EGVP_VTPP.bgl
by my files (EGVP_LWM2.bgl and EGVP_VTPP.bgl, each 1KB).

If anybody is interested, send me a PM (I cannot attach files here)

Edit:
Sorry, I have to correct me. It is necessary to have a third file in the folder "scenery\world\scenery",
which I can also supply ...
Guenther