The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Nellis Air Force Base package by MAIW: Part II

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
knarfy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Re: Nellis Air Force Base package by MAIW: Part II

Post by knarfy »

Got it fixed Mike, alphasim's Fallon NAS looks like it was causing the problem, I deactivated it, went into FS9 and "voila" it is working great. This is an incredibly well detailed airport, just amazing, the planes, the static features, awesome !!!

Thanks

Frank
WTCHURSIX

"Sir the cause of the fire was the insurance payment rubbing up against the mortgage payment causing friction"

MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Glad you were able to get it sorted. No one has ever figured our why those Alphasim sceneries have that effect on that whole area.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

Disregard, all sorted.....DOH!!

Jim
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
Ben63280
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Post by Ben63280 »

MIKEJG wrote:Easter egg that is buried deep inside the MAIW Nellis AFB package has a full on scenery set for the Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR). Targets, simulated airfields, mountain top radar sites, little known airfields, road networks, etc. If it's really out there in the desert, it's most likely part of this scenery package.
Hi Mike just got your great scenery package and installed it. I fly with a VA that next month is simulating a Red Flag exercise. Two quick questions if I may.

1. Can you confirm that those ranges are there for us to find?

2. If so could you give as a clue as to which MOAs/restricted areas we should be looking in for them?

It sounds like what you have done is perfect for what we are trying to do I just don't really want to search the better part of 2000 square nautical miles to find them. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to let the world not.

Once again great job on the scenery.

Cheers
Ben
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

LOL! Come on Ben where's your motivation?? Fire up a Predator or Reaper and start searching! :smt003

For starters, the whole kit is designed for FS9. I have no idea if or how well it works in FSX. Being scenery, it should do ok in FSX but I have never tried it in FSX.

As far as stuff to look for, start by making sure you have the scenery installed and activated. It comes with its own installer but that is for an FS9 install. Your best bet is to run the installer and install the files to a temporary folder of your choosing then place the files manually if you intend to try to use it in FSX.

Once you have the scenery installed, the easiest thing to do is to go to Tonopah airfield and start searching from there. There are numerous targets just to the east of TNX.

I added most of the dry lakebeds into the scenery as ground textures to help with visual identification and navigation. However I do not know how or what these textures will look like in FSX if that's what you intend to use them in.

The lakebeds contain targets, target rings and other stuff to attack. There are also numerous simulated airfields that have been cut out of the desert, each with aircraft targets sitting on them.

South of Tonopah is the radar test range, there are numerous radar antenna and dishes out there on the various moutaintops and hilltops.

Additionally there are small airfields including Keno Airstrip and others.

Don't ask me about Area 51, it doesn't exist in my scenery either....... I didn't want black vans sitting outside my house. Someone else can create Groom Lake.

The Readme file included with the scenery install has a ton of information in it, make sure you give that a look.
-Mike G.

Ben63280
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Ben63280 »

Thank you so much for the great reply. I love to spend a whole afternoon screaming around looking but with only so many in days a week and the bosses insistence that I actually show up to work I thought I would ask :D :D :D :D .

Will give that a go after work. Cheers again.

Nellis Looked awesome BTW.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Thank you! It was a ton of work.

I've got an updated AFD file for it that we need to make available. There has been a lot of construction on the base since the package was released 5+ years ago.
-Mike G.

Ben63280
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Ben63280 »

That's awesome.
Cadet
Cadet

Post by 108 »

Hey folks... The KLSV scenery is gorgeous, it really is. Very nicely done.

I wanted to let whomever the devs are know that I have photos of all the buildings from the flight line. I had planned on making this very package around 2011 but never got around to it. But I had a friend who's got some clout drive me around the entire base and let me take pictures. I even have close up photos of the F-22. No photos allowed of the cockpits, of course. It was kind if a trip taking the shots though, because everyone except my friend - pilots, crew chiefs, etc. - were all staring me down like I was doing something wrong. Freaked me out a bit, so I kept looking over at my friend and he just waved me on, telling me to continue with my business and that it wasn't a problem.

Anyways, not that this scenery is in any way lacking, but if anyone's interested in integrating actual real-life building textures into the models, I've got the shots. Just let me know and I can share them.

Thanks SO MUCH for creating this scenery! It's so awesome.
Cadet
Cadet

Post by 108 »

BTW, I've also created photoscenery which covers almost the entire NTR. And I've created an AFCAD for KGRM (that's what I call the base at Groom Lake) that's extremely accurate and perfectly integrates with the photoscenery satellite imagery. If anyone is interested in collaborating on an NTR/KGRM project, let me know. I have never figured out the 3D modeling thing, so I can't really contribute on that end, but I've got everything else down to a science.

In case anyone's interested, the reason why the AF, Dept. of Energy and the US Govt. deny the existence of "Area 51" is because it actually, truly does not exist. Nobody denies the presence of a base at Groom Lake, they just claim that "Area 51 does not exist". "Area 51" was the initial designation of a box in the first grid maps of the range which included the base at Groom Lake. Maps have since been changed and the entire numbering structure of the range re-created. Therefore, there truly is no place officially designated as "Area 51" anywhere in the US or it's territories. So they aren't lying when they say that Area 51 does not exist; It truly doesn't! It took me a long time to figure that out, but people I've known who've worked there kept repeating to me that "Area 51 does not exist" in conversation, even though they knew I knew they had done work there. So I researched it's history and finally put it all together... and was greeted with a vague congratulation/wink/nod for finally getting it. And it makes perfect sense, as the USAF has admitted countless times that there is a top secret research base at Groom Lake, NV. So don't be afraid to discuss Area 51 or develop related scenery projects, as it's all pretty much a semantical misunderstanding that the USAF is simply happy to allow to continue.
timbob1
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by timbob1 »

I did a version of Groom lake for myself with some photorealistic buildings based on some extreme distance photos. f you want them please send a pm mate
Regards
Tim

Scenery Designer
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I've seen a video about the Blackbird that shows Kelly Johnson clearly telling his engineers that the prototype will be moved to Area 51 so it seems those in know called it by that name.here is a still from the video.
tmp_5951-ichalkboard-2128324442.jpg
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

This could be just a semantics thing.
They could officially change the name and then say Area 51 doesn't exist with a completely straight face, however everybody would still know it and call it Area 51.
Steve