The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Eielson WIP

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
james84

Re: Eielson WIP

Post by james84 »

Thanks Tatit!
Here is a further update with an almost complete residential area.
Believe it or not, I added ALL the houses as separate objects and it's not killing framerates at all!
Attachments
PAEI_ADE9_GG.BGL
(141.71 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
regan123
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by regan123 »

NIce work. The residential area looks good. The pain always comes when it's time to add the trees ;-)
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

Great work with the ground polygon, Giacomo! :smt023
Hartwig

james84

Post by james84 »

hawk_sh wrote:Great work with the ground polygon, Giacomo! :smt023
Thanks Hartwig! I finally understood how to do it so I won't bother you anymore! :mrgreen:
Of course, feel free to comment and suggest!
Regan, I'm planning not to use trees, I will try to make a detailed ground file using forest textures with autogen, this should improve framerates a lot!
regan123
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by regan123 »

james84 wrote: Regan, I'm planning not to use trees, I will try to make a detailed ground file using forest textures with autogen, this should improve framerates a lot!
i've not tried that, though if you have a look at my UKBF release, I've used Matt's Trees. Considering there are over 1,000 objects on that base, the biggest frame rate drop I've seen is from 38fps (locked) to 32fps, and that is when the building textures are loading for the residential area. I'll be intrigued to look at the way you do it, as it could save an awful lot of object placing :)
james84

Post by james84 »

regan123 wrote:
james84 wrote: Regan, I'm planning not to use trees, I will try to make a detailed ground file using forest textures with autogen, this should improve framerates a lot!
i've not tried that, though if you have a look at my UKBF release, I've used Matt's Trees. Considering there are over 1,000 objects on that base, the biggest frame rate drop I've seen is from 38fps (locked) to 32fps, and that is when the building textures are loading for the residential area. I'll be intrigued to look at the way you do it, as it could save an awful lot of object placing :)
You mean the trees?
I'm using SBuilder, I just draw some textured polygons with autogen over the airport perimeter! I just learned how to do it and it's quite easy, the only tedious step is calibrating and centering the image or map you're using as a reference!
Blank Fang
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Blank Fang »

Hi Giacomo

Thank you for your awesome work. It really brings PAEI to levels not seen before. May I make a little suggestion though.
Would it be possible for you to separate Airport and Scenery as offered in ADE under Options, Tab register General, Separate Airport and Object BGL Files?
I tried today to modify some Parking codes in ADE and lost all buildings . :cry:
If you could split those two features this you could greatly enhance the value of your allready excellent contribution.

Looking forward to seing your final release!

Thank you
-----
Willy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

In which case, I agree. I mess around with the parking, in some manner, on about 95% of afcads.
Steve
james84

Post by james84 »

Ok, no problem, this will be the format from the next update on!
Blank Fang
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Blank Fang »

Thanks Giacomo

Looking forward to! :smt023
-----
Willy
james84

Post by james84 »

You're welcome!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

james84 wrote:Ok, no problem, this will be the format from the next update on!
Very cool. I think that it would be nice if this choice was made by all ADE9 scenery guys.
Steve
james84

Post by james84 »

I'll restart working when I get back home. Any suggestion or imperfection to point out?
Blank Fang
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Blank Fang »

What I was trying to do was adding more parking spaces like those used in PAEI AFD fro AK and Islands ANG package. In patricular i was keen about the A-10 355F spots.
-----
Willy
james84

Post by james84 »

Actually I still have to add the remaining parking spots. The ones on the NW side of the main apron are missing. Are you referring to these?
Blank Fang
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Blank Fang »

I only started to mess with your spots 93 - 107 where i assigned A10 355F and realised that all the buïldings were lost upon saving. Then I stopped as this was a price to dear to pay. :(
-----
Willy
james84

Post by james84 »

Ok... :mrgreen:
regan123
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by regan123 »

james84 wrote: You mean the trees?
I'm using SBuilder, I just draw some textured polygons with autogen over the airport perimeter! I just learned how to do it and it's quite easy, the only tedious step is calibrating and centering the image or map you're using as a reference!
That worked like a charm for me elsewhere, so I shall be using it again! As to the background image, I cheated a bit. If you use a background image for ADE9 from - say - Google Earth, I launch FS9, connect ADE so that it display the aircraft and then use View Aircraft in SBuilder. I then use the move aircraft here command in ADE to position the aircraft and flip back to SBuilder to create a point in the polygon. It's quite an efficient way, once you get used to it!
james84

Post by james84 »

Well, the actual problem is actually centering the image. ADE9X allows you to adjust the image working directly with the airport structure, but SBuilder doesn't allow this because you have to calibrate the image one-off.
I found a trick that works quite well: center the airport on Google Earth and save the image. Without moving it or changing the altitude, add two placemarks, one on the NW corner and on in the southeast corner of the whole image, and insert the coords in SBuilder.
Once ingame, choose "Show aircraft" in SBuilder and use the image as a reference in order to add the polygons. This way you can move within the scenery and add the polygons where you actually need, for example by following a certain path.
james84

Post by james84 »

EDIT: I'll upload the correct files when I get home
Last edited by james84 on 16 Mar 2011, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.