Parking Behavior Question

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Re: Parking Behavior Question

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Ok I see what you mean now! The arrow into the parking spaces should be pointing to the rear of the spots... (or opposite 180 degrees to the dark green arrows)... Ok I will run some more tests and see what I come up with! Thanks!
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

So I am happy to report that the parking problem is solved!! Making sure the arrows are opposite is what did the trick!!
deck parking.JPG
So for my next question... I noticed that the aircraft that are taking off stack on top of each other and dont necessarily respect runway hold shorts:
stacking.JPG
Should I add switch some of my blue nodes over to being gray hold short nodes or? Thanks!!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

The runway on a carrier is no different to a conventional runway you must have a hold short node before the runway node with the markings pointing in the direction of the runway.
Steve
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Ok I guess I should re-phrase my question... I have a hold short line... But at land base airports I notice the aircraft tend to "line up on the taxiway" with only one aircraft on the hold short and the others fall in behind it as they should and real world behavior... But here the aircraft are all stacking on top of each other at the one hold short node as opposed to maintaining an orderly line.. Do I need to add more gray nodes or how do I make them not do that?
hold short.JPG
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Have you ATC set for your afcad?. I think that this is a must for aircraft to behave properly.

The other thing is that you describe the problem but there are no pics so we are kinda guessing as to where the issue occurs. My personal thought is that the hold short node is too close to the runway node but that on its own should not cause your issue.

Check the ATC and if you could show us the problem as well as the afcad it would be a help.
Steve
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Ok so here in this pic these two F-14s (circled in red) are waiting to take off as you can see the second one is taxiing right into the first one and will also stop at the hold short inside the first Tomcat as opposed to stopping a node or so back:
stacking.JPG
Here are my current hold short and runway end nodes (circled in purple):
hold short.JPG
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

I believe I have ATC Setup:
ATC.JPG
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Here is the ADE file
Attachments
CVN74 Perth Australia.zip
(12.18 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Is that another one coming into land?

You can't have that happen. To my mind that runway is too short. The aircraft should not turn onto the runway direction/runway if the approach is not clear. Which they will do because there is no hold short node stopping them.
If you put the hold short nodes on the two taxiways close to the bow then you will probably find that the aircraft are out of range of the runway.

Unless I am missing something obvious.

In an ideal world you would have two runways. The rear one is for recoveries and the forward one for take offs, but Martin spent some time trying to get two runways to work and was unsuccessful.

I can't help feeling that you gone in to design reality. I think that it would be best to stick with what works and then mod one thing at a time to get it closer to reality.
Steve
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Yes that EA-6 is coming into land... I too spent a lot of time struggling with the two runways issue and finally gave up... Dan Reeves took a crack at it as well; and also gave up... The best thing that I tried to do was to make the single runway start as close to a Cat position as possible in this case Cat 3 but have it align with the landing strip...
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Or here is another example here are two C-2s one sitting inside the other waiting to take off...
C2s.JPG
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well again I put forward the idea of going with what you know works.
You have said that you can't get reality so really you have to go with basics to ensure it works. My gut feeling is that al least some of your issues are caused by the parallel taxiways being in close proximity.

You can't have aircraft approach whilst something is queued up waiting for the runway to be clear.
Steve