The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

FSDS working variable afterburner nozzle

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
CAFedm
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

FSDS working variable afterburner nozzle

Post by CAFedm »

I've noticed the nifty variable nozzles on several aircraft used in the MAIW packages (e.g., F-14, F-16, F-18 among others). Wondering if anyone would be willing to share the trick to get this to work with an aircraft designed using FSDS. I realize there is some xml code that needs adding to MakeMdl for compiling, but in addition to that, are there any special names that need assigning to the nozzle parts? Also, wondering if it is better to make true petals that are animated, or else can different cone sizes be used for closed/open positions. Any help is greatly appreciated.
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Re: FSDS working variable afterburner nozzle

Post by nickblack423 »

I'm sorry mate I'm not really sure what you are asking for. I don't know of any MAIW aircraft that have working nozzles. Are you talking about Nozzles that Widen with the throttle? If so, the only way to do such a thing would be to make each petal individually and then animated them. I'm afraid as its something I've never even considered for an AI aircraft I can't really help you more than that.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
CAFedm
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by CAFedm »

Thanks for the reply...I must have been seeing things then, but at least the afterburner effects on these birds looks extremely convincing. Maybe that's what fooled my eye.
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by Weescotty »

Never used it on any of mine also.
The extra effort and much more polys involved doesn't make it worthwhile.

Saying that if you want to try it you would need to find some xml variables to attach the anim to.
The only two you might be able to use is throttle position and height above ground.
You would have to set them in conjuction with the afterburner effect on/off.
CAFedm
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by CAFedm »

Thanks again,

Appreciate the info everyone. Looks like it won't be worthwhile to bother with this as it'll be too complex (e.g., means doesn't justify the ends), although I have a couple of other animations that would be dependent upon aircraft speed, etc. so this is still helpful. Just have to get a grip on creating some working xml code. That's the fun in all of this - actually getting your projects to work as planned.

Regards, Brian