The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Nellis Air Force Base Package by MAIW: Part I

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: Nellis Air Force Base Package by MAIW

Post by MIKE JG »

Hmmm.....so you were or were not able to load the Nellis scenery originally BEFORE you installed the easter egg stuff?

There are no files to my knowledge from the KLSV scenery that call anything from the easter egg. So those two texture files that you mentioned, which are only used in the easter egg scenery, should not even be called by the KLSV scenery. So that really confuses me.

Once again, I wiped my laptop clean of anything that wasn't default FS9, installed the Nellis pack again, and once again loaded up the scenery at all times and seasons without a crash. I have not installed the easter egg stuff so there's no way the KLSV scenery is calling anything from that.

If you have both sceneries installed, and you DO NOT have those two textures you mentioned installed, YES that will cause a CTD even at Nellis due to the close proximity of some of the range scenery to the northwest of Nellis.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

I guess for simplicity, it would help for those of you who are having the CTD's at Nellis to disable the bonus scenery included in the easter egg. By doing that, it eliminates that scenery and helps isolate the problem to Nellis. The idea being that you get Nellis working first and then worry about the bonus stuff. Remember the Nellis scenery will work without the bonus scenery installed, but the bonus scenery WILL NOT work without the Nellis scenery installed.

Personally my two test setups are both FS9 (not 9.1 btw) so it seems we can rule that out of the picture.

BTW I am also trying really hard to make the scenery CTD. But as long as I install the package as directed, I can't make it crash.

Again for those of you with the CTD's using Procmon is a HUGE help to see what's going on.
-Mike G.

supernova48
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by supernova48 »

Mike,
When I download Nellis, I also installed Easter Egg at the same time. Except for the large bases, I keep military scenery in one folder. ( I also have one folder for objects that you guys put with your packages- called military objects). So I installed Nellis in stand alone folder, sent Easter Egg files to the above military scenery folder, but did not put texures into scenery/world/texture. I never disabled Military scenery during my testing. I probably would have evenually done that, but discovered the error with ProcMon.

Thanks again,
Ken
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

OK so at least in your case, it sounds like your CTD was a result of not having those two texture files installed. But your example also illustrates one of the million different ways in FS9 to do the same thing which is what makes it hard to sort these things out.

Hopefully for you this means case closed.
-Mike G.

tjwhite56
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by tjwhite56 »

Well guys, here are my two bits. I was having the ctd issues at dusk and dawn, I tried copying all those textures from the world/texture to the Nellis/texture, but it did nothing. I added the 2 files that I downloaded from an earlier post, which are supposedly part of this easter egg thing, and now everything works.
Thank You for this package you all have really out done yourselves! however can someone tell the less fortunate souls like myself where this easter egg is, I have already spent the first 6 hours of my holiday weekend searching, but nothing!

Thanks Again and Merry Christmas

Terry
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: P3D

Post by btaylo24 »

Deleted as he has found it! other will have to dig around
Barry
tjwhite56
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by tjwhite56 »

:shock: :? never take the time to mess with them :| :oops: :x

Well if that isn't a kick in the ---! nice work ! :D
Last edited by tjwhite56 on 24 Dec 2009, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

ProcMon tells me that the last file FS9 tries to call before the CTD is PK917170.bgl in the /scenery/NAMW/scenery folder. I'm even more confused...
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
garysted
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by garysted »

Gents,

Just for your reference in trouble shooting this, I have no CTD at dawn or dusk (or at any time) at KLSV after install. I do not have the easter egg installed yet. I have a freeware KLAS installed with no issues (mach-1 design group according to the read-me) and Ted Thompson's Groom Lake scenery. Flight and Ground Enviroment payware add-ons both installed with no issues. Only change I've made is to AFCAD parking and using my own AI FP's. Hope it narrows things down a little.

Gary
Military aviation photography in the UK

My photo website
Johnny Test
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Johnny Test »

garysted wrote:I have a freeware KLAS installed with no issues (mach-1 design group according to the read-me)
You just gave me food for thought :shock: I have FSDreamTeam's KLAS & noticed it will not load up in dawn/dusk now. It always has before. :?
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

KLAS loads without a hitch at Dawn, but when I fly towards Nellis I get the CTD. It must be something wrong with Nellis but I can't put my finger on it.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Trim_tab
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Trim_tab »

Well I've just put everything back the way it was so it CTD's at dawn... then I'm moving one BGL out at a time from the Nellis scenery folder until it stops the CTD... I'll let you know what I come up with.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Trim_tab wrote:Well I've just put everything back the way it was so it CTD's at dawn... then I'm moving one BGL out at a time from the Nellis scenery folder until it stops the CTD... I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks for doing that, I think we will all be interested in your findings.
John

Trim_tab
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Trim_tab »

VulcanDriver wrote:
Trim_tab wrote:Well I've just put everything back the way it was so it CTD's at dawn... then I'm moving one BGL out at a time from the Nellis scenery folder until it stops the CTD... I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks for doing that, I think we will all be interested in your findings.
Yeah, well that was a complete bust... she's loading at dawn without a hitch now... I can't make it faultier... I did suspect it would have been something to do with the ramp lighting effects since they would be activated @ dawn & dusk... but my suspension came up empty... maybe some can pull those 4 bgls and see what they come up with.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

OK we are locking this one down for the time being to keep the problem solving organized. If you had a post removed, we thank you for your comments and please understand that the only reason your post was removed was for simplicity and to keep the topic focused on support issues.

For all new support related issues for the Nellis AFB package, please use the appropriate new thread.
-Mike G.