The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

NAS Patuxent River

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
BaiterOne
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Re: NAS Patuxent River

Post by BaiterOne »

Hi,

does the RTFM refer to the 2 little mountains of green?

I cannot find a reference. Pardon my bad eyesight if I have overlooked it.
Thanks,

Walter

An FS2004 Die-Hard ...
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

TheFoufure wrote: 03 Feb 2017, 16:10 Just a little problem. On the P-8 parking, I've 2 little mountains of green. Perhaps a problem with the flatten ? (I'll try to put a capture)
As long as I have not seen a screenshot I cannot say what he means with that.

What I can say at the moment is that the flatten file included in the scenery completely covers all the aprons.

Make sure to follow the installation instructions and remove EVERYTHING from the original scenery.
I think there were some hills included in the original scenery.
Hartwig

TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

I've read all the readme file, and proceed to the install step by step with the readme opened at same time.

The flatten file is put on the right place.

It's two little green mountains (like ground work on the appron) at the parking of P-8.

I'll put a screen tomorrow morning.
BaiterOne
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by BaiterOne »

Hi

images to show the mounds:

Ignore any traffic - I haven't gotten around to clearing the old stuff out yet.
Thanks,

Walter

An FS2004 Die-Hard ...
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

I didn't write the manual, Hartwig and company did all that work and they are to be congratulated for their efforts. The way I posted that message makes it look that way and that was not my intent.

I'm simply saying to do them a favor and make sure we all read the installation manual before asking for help.

My contribution is to encourage everyone to read the manual.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

I just installed the scenery (for FS9) and I have the same mounds in the same places as BaiterOne shows in his screenshots.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Update. I was able to fix one of the mounds in my scenery. I found a stray AFCAD that was causing the problem. The AFCAD was MAIW_AF2_0NHK_CUSTOM.bgl. This got rid of the mounds in BaiterOne's first screenshot.

I still can not find the AFCAD causing the problem with the mound in BaiterOne's second screenshot. I will keep looking.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Update #2 I found the other files causing the problems. They are KNH1_ADE9_JIM.bgl and KNH2_ADE9_JIM.BGL. After I deleted the 3 files I mentioned my scenery is now fine.

I also have a question. In the original Patuxent River scenery there was effect files for apron lighting. Are we supposed to delete those files or leave them in?
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

Joseph29, thank you for identifying those duplicate AFCAD files causing the mountains!

So far we have:
MAIW_AF2_0NHK_CUSTOM.bgl
KNH1_ADE9_JIM.bgl
KNH2_ADE9_JIM.BGL

These files are likely containing an airfiled elevation of 7m (stock FS9).
In the scenery update the airfield elevation is lowered to 2m to make the coast lines look better.
Some elements in these AFCAD files are probably causing mountains of 7m to appear.

My plan is to wait a few days to identity possible any further issues and then update the package and/or the manual.

Joseph29 wrote: 04 Feb 2017, 03:45 I also have a question. In the original Patuxent River scenery there was effect files for apron lighting. Are we supposed to delete those files or leave them in?
Leave them in, they are needed.
I did not change anything on the apron lighting of the original scenery.

As stated in the installation instructions:
--> 2) Install the original scenery first.
This will install the floodlights effects in to the effects folder.
--> 4) Then delete the complete original scenery, keeping the installation folder MAIW Patuxent River NAS (KNHK)
--> 5) copy the scenery files of the update package into this folder
The original apron light placement files are also included in the update.
Hartwig

BaiterOne
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by BaiterOne »

Isn't this world amazing?

I post pictures of my problems and then go to bed.

While I sleep others (I am referring especially to Joseph29 :-) ) work their fingers to the bone trying to fix them - and do just that.

When I get up and delete the files - the mounds are history!

Thanks Joseph29, and the 5 hour time difference between here and Long Island, New York.

I would love to know how you managed to isolate those files!
Thanks,

Walter

An FS2004 Die-Hard ...
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

The KNH1, KNH2 and the KNHK_Custom BGLs were part of a little package I'd produced to get the Sea Hawks flying.

There were 2 traffic files - Traffic_PAX River SAR Sea Hawk.bgl & Traffic_PAX River USNTPS Sea Hawk.bgl, so best find and delete them as well to avoid any confusion.

HTH

Jim
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

Hartwig

Thanks for a fantastic and very comprehensive update to Pax River. Not only that you have also pointed out some small bits and pieces that I have missed over the years such as the Hornets paints and the Omega Tankers. You are quite correct that careful reading of the update Pdf is essential to avoid problems.

The only tiny error I have found is that on the F-35 'Aircraft.cfg' file the sim= line has .air at the end should read:

sim=MGAI_Lockheed_Martin_F-35A_Lightning_II_AI_ONLY.air

Regards

Pete
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

petebramley wrote: 04 Feb 2017, 12:53 The only tiny error I have found is that on the F-35 'Aircraft.cfg' file the sim= line has .air at the end should read:
sim=MGAI_Lockheed_Martin_F-35A_Lightning_II_AI_ONLY.air
Pete
Thank you Pete.

I do not understand what is the error here?
Are the F-35s not showing up or flying properly?
The .air at the end might not be necessary in the "sim=..."-entry but it will also work when it is there.
At least on my system it does.
Hartwig

petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

Not sure if it actually is an error but it flagged up in 'AIAE'
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Guess I'm glad we have a nasty overcast day outside, time to download and get this amazing update working in FSX!

Hartwig, if you are still in a USN painting mood after this massive project, I've got a list of squadrons that are not fully represented in MAIW.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
dworjan
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by dworjan »

I've been away from flight simming for a long time. Did not expect to see my Omega tankers pop up in a project.

Pax River looks great. Really looks like the base to me. Though I don't do much with Flight Sim anymore, if you ever decide to work on any other Naval Air Stations, just let me know. I'm sure either I've been there or I know someone who is there.

Chris
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

John Young wrote: 02 Feb 2017, 07:26 Pax River in FSX may prove a bit difficult. This is the advice from the Poseidon manual:
I have converted it to FSX/P3D and it is behaves pretty well, John.
All sits where it should, AI traffic is working great (fantastic job, Hartwig!). All airports are converted to FSX, as is the object library.

Still to do:
Change some coastlines
Plant trees
Find some unknown objects that are neither in the Global Libs nor in the local one.
Cheers,
Martin
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Great news Martin. I read that too with the P-8s and I already had pretty bad frames around the area due to the shear amount of traffic.

Just wanted to confirm the VXS-1 and VX-20 C-12s are gone now from original package? Scramble latest data is from 2013, so I'm assuming all have been retired or sold off (like 161198 now N785MC), hence they are not included in the master parking code chart.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Is it possible you can fix the parking spaces for the E-2 Hawkeyes? The parking spots are to close to each other and the wing tips are overlapping each other.

Also would the USNTPS C-12's and the USN Air Operations Department C-12's have the same parking codes? Both of them was included in the original Patuxent River but only the USNTPS is in the parking code list.
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

dworjan wrote: 04 Feb 2017, 22:47 I've been away from flight simming for a long time. Did not expect to see my Omega tankers pop up in a project.

Pax River looks great. Really looks like the base to me. Though I don't do much with Flight Sim anymore, if you ever decide to work on any other Naval Air Stations, just let me know. I'm sure either I've been there or I know someone who is there.

Chris
Thank you Chris.
Currently I do not have any plans for other Naval Air Stations.
But you never know...
Hartwig