The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Raf BBMF To Host Canadian Lancaster

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Raf BBMF To Host Canadian Lancaster

Post by shaggy22 »

This sounds good to me :D :D
The last two Lancaster bombers still flying in the world will come together in a series of events this summer, in a meeting unlikely to happen ever again.

The Royal Air Force Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (RAF BBMF) based at RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire will welcome the arrival of a very special guest during August 2014 when the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum (CWHM) fly their prized Avro Lancaster to the UK for a month long visit.

Lancaster bomber

The Canadian Lancaster will join the only other airworthy Lancaster in the world, owned and operated by the RAF BBMF, and participate in several events and activities while overseas.

The CWHM Lancaster will depart from Hamilton, Ontario on August 4th with plans to arrive in England on August 8th. The North Atlantic crossing will include en-route stops at Goose Bay, Labrador, Canada, Narsarsuaq, Greenland, and Keflavik, Iceland, prior to arriving in the UK.

Shortly after arriving, the Lancaster will undergo a scheduled maintenance inspection. The CWHM crews will then complete a short training program with the BBMF in preparation to participate in several air displays and fly pasts with the BBMF Lancaster and fighters starting on August 14th. These displays will celebrate the exceptionally close British/Canadian relationship and to commemorate the sacrifice and dedication of Commonwealth Bomber crews and the professionalism of both nations’ air forces today. The CWHM Lancaster will also conduct a limited number of UK Bomber Membership flights from Humberside Airport, flying over historic Lincolnshire for those fortunate few who have obtained CWHM UK Bomber Memberships. Further information on the UK Bomber Memberships can be found at http://www.warplane.com.

Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum President and CEO, Sqn Ldr (Ret.) David G. Rohrer C.D. who is a current Lancaster pilot, stated that this Trans Atlantic crossing and visit to the BBMF and England is a "Once in a Lanc Time" event as it will not happen again. Rohrer indicated that this year, "a rare window of opportunity was identified to bring the last two flying Lancasters in the world together as a special salute to all the veterans of Bomber Command, many of whom are in their late 80s or older now." It is also an opportunity for the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum to fly together and showcase a flying display and tribute to all those who served in the time of need, in Canada, Britain, and the entire Commonwealth, that likely will never be seen again.

Officer Commanding the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, Sqn Ldr Dunc Mason said “To see these two aircraft flying at events together will be a unique sight and also the opportunity to truly commemorate those who paid the ultimate sacrifice. Lest We Forget.”
From RAF BBMF website
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
sr01
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Re: Raf BBMF To Host Canadian Lancaster

Post by sr01 »

Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

Wish I could be there to see this. Seen the Canadian Lanc here in Virginia Beach at the Warbirds over the Beach event last year.
Les
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Sluffer77 »

Being just up the road from Coningsby means my August is going to mainly spent there, really looking forward to this.
A sense of humour must be maintained at all times.

Gaz
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

Although the trip's schedule is yet to be finalized I'm sure it WILL include th BOB day flight over London ;-)
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

It looks like it will be based at Humberside which is only up the road for me
Off to a History talk there tonight as well

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Heard mention that they will be flying over Grantham - this is subject to confirmation but that day WILL be booked off. So looking forward to this.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Do you think there might be a chance of the pair of them visiting the 100th celebration of the Swiss Air Force?
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

I seriously doubt it. I would think the Canadian Lanc would go straight back to Canada.
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
sr01
Major
Major

WH Lancaster August 2014 UK tour schedule

Post by sr01 »

The Canadian Warplane Heritage has published a partial schedule for their UK tour . Dates have been extended to mid September .

http://www.warplane.com/lancaster-2014-uk-tour.aspx
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

CG VRA is on it's way from Hamilton to the UK . Crossed over the Saguenay about 30minutes ago .
To track it try CGVRA or Heritage 1
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

CGVRA has landed at Goose Bay and is scheduled to leave for Keflavik tomorrow