The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Warbirds

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Warbirds

Post by John Young »

Matt,

Looking good.

Are you building for FS9 or FSX or both and is that Gmax you are using?

I can help with Gmax techniques for both sim versions and I've got some experience with FDE for warbirds - particularly tail draggers.

You only need to ask.

John
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

Started on a Mig-15 last night. At work now, so I can't post pics. Don't know if I will get any work done on it or the MC202 the next couple of days. My job is very mentally challenging. I get home and am usuallly drained. they will get done though, I promise. Was also wanting to start a P-38 or Spitfire. All just depends on time. Going to start night shift next Monday. :(
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

John Young wrote:Matt,

Looking good.

Are you building for FS9 or FSX or both and is that Gmax you are using?

I can help with Gmax techniques for both sim versions and I've got some experience with FDE for warbirds - particularly tail draggers.

You only need to ask.

John
Actually using Blender. If you are not familiar with it, it is equivalent to a dumbed down version of Autodesk MAYA. You can do anything GMAX can do and more. A bit of learning curve though. I am constantly learning new ways of doing things.

I am planning to model for both FS9 and FSX
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Hi Matt,

Can't help you with that one I'm afraid. How do you apply the FSX animation/visibility tags and material settings with Blender or is that done with some other program? Can you make LODs?

John
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

John Young wrote:Hi Matt,

Can't help you with that one I'm afraid. How do you apply the FSX animation/visibility tags and material settings with Blender or is that done with some other program? Can you make LODs?

John
To the best of my knowledge, you can do everything you asked me about. I actually heard about the program over on FSDeveloper.com. Check out Blender.org for info about the program.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Thanks for the work so far redtail, I downloaded Blender years ago for the not very well known YSflight, low budget freeware flightsim. Always wondered if I could port in some of those models as AI in FS9/X.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
jgowing
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Post by jgowing »

redtail58554 wrote:Started on a Mig-15 last night. At work now, so I can't post pics. Don't know if I will get any work done on it or the MC202 the next couple of days. My job is very mentally challenging. I get home and am usuallly drained. they will get done though, I promise. Was also wanting to start a P-38 or Spitfire. All just depends on time. Going to start night shift next Monday. :(
Great news on the MiG.. really looking forward to that, thankyou! :D Saw one fly paired with an F86 at the Jersey seafront show back in 1998..

Take your time, I know work can be punishing..

Jon
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

jgowing wrote:
redtail58554 wrote:Started on a Mig-15 last night. At work now, so I can't post pics. Don't know if I will get any work done on it or the MC202 the next couple of days. My job is very mentally challenging. I get home and am usuallly drained. they will get done though, I promise. Was also wanting to start a P-38 or Spitfire. All just depends on time. Going to start night shift next Monday. :(
Great news on the MiG.. really looking forward to that, thankyou! :D Saw one fly paired with an F86 at the Jersey seafront show back in 1998..

Take your time, I know work can be punishing..

Jon
Yeah,
I work for 911. I can't describe the stress levels we are under on a daily basis. Where I work, three people are basically in charge of the entire county and all of the agencies in the county. Add in the oil boom and our crime rate has skyrocketed adding more work for us.

Today my I learned my grandmother passed away last night. Work on my projects will continue but at a slower pace so I can spend time with my family.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

redtail58554 wrote: Yeah,
I work for 911. I can't describe the stress levels we are under on a daily basis. Where I work, three people are basically in charge of the entire county and all of the agencies in the county. Add in the oil boom and our crime rate has skyrocketed adding more work for us.

Today my I learned my grandmother passed away last night. Work on my projects will continue but at a slower pace so I can spend time with my family.
Sorry for your loss Matt.

Do not put yourself under any pressure regarding these models. Always remember...............this is a hobby and is meant to be fun. Real life must always take priority.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

Just a quick shot of the mig so far

shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

Looking good so far Matt, keep up the fine work :D
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
Don H
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Don H »

Looking good, Matt. Very much appreciated. Warbirds in AI versions will be very much welcomed.

More suggestions, I would like to see a full Grumman series, from the F3F Flying Barrel, F4F Wildcat, the XF5F, F6F Hellcat to the F7F Tigercat, and finishing with the F8F Bearcat.
Don H
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

Just wanted to say thank you to all of you for your kind words. Here is what I have planned. Finish the Mig and the 202. Then I want to do something sticking with my original post: a restored warbird. Can't decide which one so I will focus on what I am doing with the two in progress right now. However, if the right project comes around I will start another before these two are done. I do really want to do a true 109. There are a few restored examples flying around now, so that could be fun. If someone here has a different request, I will be open to suggestions. I will go with what the majority says. Also, if anyone is willing to do repaints, that would be cool as I have no idea what I am doing there. I will see what I can do to make a paint kit. Shoot me a pm with your email and I will get in touch with you.
Also, John I may have found a way to use blender for my basic modeling and then using gmax for everything else.
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

a little something I have been working on...
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

That's wonderful.. special indeed.. a truly new shape for the FS9 sky..the polished metal at Duxford dazzles still..

Jon
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Well done Matt. That looks really good.

Before you do any more, I would advise compiling the model to the simulator. You need to see how the surface is being drawn. It does actually look fine, but if Blender is anything like Gmax, you might get imperfections of light/shade caused my misplaced or overlapping vertices that will need adjusting. Those imperfections may not be apparent when viewed in Blender. That will give you a clean airframe before you start adding to the risk of shading faults when cutting out the cockpit and wheel wells, particularly if you use a Boolean cut (avoid that if you can and use inward extrude instead).

It's really important to get the surfaces completely smooth, particularly if you are going to make the highly polished and reflective red Bull example for FSX.

I'm away for a week from today, but I'll get back to you when I return if you need any help.

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

If you are still looking for inspiration.... Northrop P-61 Black Widow, Consolidated B-24 Liberator, Heinkel He 219 Uhu, Avro 652 Anson, Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 Sparviero, Switzerland EKW F+W C-36, Morane-Saulnier M.S.406 :D

I love that somebody is taking up this part of aviation history.
Cheers,
Martin