Blender and FS9

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
msm8378
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Blender and FS9

Post by msm8378 »

Seeking a - definitive - answer on this one...

Hopefully John will share his - bountiful - knowledge and guidance on this one.

1. Is it even possible?

2. Is the - learning curve - worth the effort compared to existing programs specific to FS9...i.e. Gmax, FSDS, ADE?

I have searched the Internet and have not been able to find a thread with - definitive - answers to this or at the very least - persuasive - answers one way or the other...

To add relevance for the questions...I made the decision a couple of years ago, due to my age and the direction MSFS has taken with the introduction of FSX, to stop my journey at FS9 and am now just trying to expand on my setup as much as I can.

Thanks,

Mat
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Blender and FS9

Post by John Young »

You haven't actually asked a question Mat, but I assume it is "Can Blender be used to produce models for FS9?"

I don't know the answer to that one for sure, but Blender is a generic modelling program and it probably will. The next question, is; "is a facility required to compile the models in FS9 format? I don't know that too, but either way, I do know that Blender is a complex program to learn.

You don't say whether you want to model scenery or aircraft for FS9. If you want to produce aircraft, then you have the whole realm of FDE design to contend with also.

If you want to design for FS9 or FSX, then Gmax, that comes with the De-luxe versions, is the easier option, though the learning is still intense. The beauty of both Gmax versions is that Microsoft have included the "Game Packs" that compile the finished models in the format you need with just a few mouse clicks. The other benefit is that models compiled in FSX native code can also be used in P3D.

I have used Gmax for all of my work over the years, and like you, at my age, I don't feel the need to change, at least for now. It is a very old program though, as is FSDS, which is another alternative. If you ever wanted to go further than FS9, potentially into MSFS and MS2024, when it arrives, then probably, Gmax is not the place to start.

You mention ADE. That's not a 3-D modelling program, it's for producing ground layouts like AFCAD files, and placement of models into scenery. It will be needed for whatever 3-D modelling program you want to adopt if you want to produce scenery.

In addition to the modelling program, you will also need a good quality paint program, usually one that handles layers. I have used Paint Shop Pro for a long time. To convert the files to FS9 or FSX format, you will also need the freeware DxtBmp.exe or Imagetool.exe that Microsoft supply in the SDK for each sim version.

I hope I have provided some food for thought on what I think you want to do, but if you want to provide any clarification, I'll gladly advise further. Others here may be able to comment on Blender in FS9 specifically.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

1. Yes

2. No

Wot John said. Blender is incredibly complex. Indeed, it is capable of producing full-motion photorealistic animated movies with all the associated effects all within that single program. Picking out and learning the elements of the program that are relevant to computer game 3D model making is hard work (I'm about 3 years into that process and I haven't made much progress!). The benefit of Blender over GMax is that it is compatible (thanks to a couple of add-ons) with P3D and MSFS - in the same way that GMax is with FS9 and FSX. GMax was specifically forked off 3dMax to provide the facility to make objects for Microsoft flight simulators, and it remains probably the best choice for that task. As John has shown, it can be used to provide for P3D too. I wouldn't look at Blender for FS9.
msm8378
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Post by msm8378 »

Your answers, from both of you, are sincerely appreciated and exactly the kind of - honest - guidance I was hoping for.

I will stick to the tried and true - GMAX, FSDS, ADE - programs that work great for FS9.

I have some experience with Blender with regards to 3D modeling and printing work. On the FS side I understand that MCX or similar would be required at a minimum.

At any rate, you fine gentlemen have saved me from dropping into a rabbit hole that is probably best left alone at this time.

Congrats, BTW on the beautiful work being done on the P3D Brazil project. I have been an avid MSFS user since the very first version and still have a lot of Mallard Scenery Disks laying around from back in the days...With all of the original MAIW and PAI, etc. addons I have for FS9 I am at the end of my journey.

Thanks,

Mat
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

MCX is a wonderful app that has recently been adapted to make the conversion of FSX (and possibly P3D) models to FS9 much easier and more reliable, which is a feature you may find useful. But the best place to discuss that is over at FSDeveloper.com, the forum run by MCX's author, Arno Gerretsen. You'll also find Jon Masterson there, the author of ADE, though he has now terminated development of that program. However, he still gives advice. On top of that, there are detailed discussions and tutorials on the use of Blender, GMax, SketchUp and probably (though I haven't looked) FSDS. It' s a very pleasant rabbit hole in which to lose a few hours (or more!).