The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Question from a new starter

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Question from a new starter

Post by shaggy22 »

I want to get into the world of ai modelling however I would like to use fsds which seems a bit expensive, especially if I don't follow it through. Is there another proggy out there that does a similar job to fsds and is freeware?
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: Question from a new starter

Post by BadPvtDan »

Gmax. It's certainly not easier, though, and you'll have to get help elsewhere. Vast majority here use FSDS.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

Looks like i'll have too splash the cash then. :D

Thanks for the help. Also what's a good model too start with, I was thinking SU25 or is that too awkward to do?
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

LEBTowerGuy

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

I have been using gmax for about a year now, its a bit intimidating to get started, but if you follow some of the tutorials available at fsdeveloper.com they really will get you on your way to working with all of gmax's functions. I am to the point where I actually find gmax more intuitive than FSDS.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Gmax is free (disc 4 of the FS9 discs) and is more capable but from everything I've seen and read, has a steeper learning curve.

Gmax is very similar to 3DSMax from what I've read which is an even more capable 3D modeling proggy.

There are excellent tutorials, both written and video for both programs, FSDS and Gmax. FSDS is sort of our baby over here where as Gmax is more popular with the crew at Airfield Construction Group and FSDeveloper.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Personally, I think the SU-25 would be a very nice project. But of course there have been so many varients produced over the years, that you might end up with a multiple release project that will take years, including both research and modeling. On the other hand what an accomplishment it would be to complete!

Ron
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I think that the most important thing with your first choice of model is that you must really want to make it. There will be times when you wish that it was an airfix kit so that you could smash it into a wall. If you don't really want to make that model you will never finish it.
Steve
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

Firebird wrote:I think that the most important thing with your first choice of model is that you must really want to make it. There will be times when you wish that it was an airfix kit so that you could smash it into a wall. If you don't really want to make that model you will never finish it.
That's why I thought of it. Personally I think it's a pretty little aeroplane and it looks relatively simple (famous last words). I'll probably give gmax a go and if i can't make it work i'll try fsds. Thanks for the help chaps.
Dan