The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Jake Burrus JAI DC3

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Jake Burrus JAI DC3

Post by f4nutter »

Brand new model from Jake Burrus for us all to enjoy :lol: a massive thank you to Jake for letting me paint and release this DC3. any coments would be great.

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Can we assume that the BBMF scheme is included?
Steve
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Cool!

EDIT: To download the model, click on the link to Ray's website at the bottom of his post. :wink:
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Ray, couple things I noticed with the textures:

I just checked the one, but I am assuming this is relevant on all the textures.

A) Where the two halves of the fuse paint kit meet on the bottom of the aircraft, there are several areas where it is uneven and could be fixed up a bit.

B) There should be elevator trim tabs drawn on the top and bottom halves of the elevators, currently none present.

C) Not with the textures but the contact points could use adjustment when the model is static, the wheels are sunk into the ground a bit too far as is.

I see quite a few other things that could be addressed as well that are related to the model, .AIR and Aircraft.cfg files. Just let me know if you want to know about those as well.
Attachments
fsscr002.jpg
fsscr002.jpg (36.38 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
fsscr001.jpg
fsscr001.jpg (14.76 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
fsscr000.jpg
fsscr000.jpg (24.09 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
-Mike G.

f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

hi mike,
well the paint was a quick and easy job just to let the model out,i should have taken more time.
the contact points AIR and aircraft.cfg files i have not touched as i'm no expert in these fields, indeed i'm no expert in any :wink: thanks for the pointers, i will remove the DC3 from my downloads.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

No need to remove it. However you may want to indicate that improvements will be made to the model and for users to expect an updated version in the future. You get the best of both worlds that way.

There is so much knowledge out there that I'm sure people will be happy to help get the model up to speed.
-Mike G.

f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

i am adjusting the paints as we 'type!' and if any one wants to help me adjust the contact points please say :)

edit:

Hawk120
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Hawk120 »

That looks great RAy!!!!

It would look very awesome in some SAAF borderwar come since the SAAF museum still has 2 airworthy, i am going to see one this saterday at the museum airshow!

I have learned a few things regarding contact points with my first gmax model and will gladly help you if you want :wink:

Be sure to pm me or give me shout

Regards :D
Per Aspera Ad Astra
"Through Adversity to the Stars"
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

It would look very awesome in some SAAF borderwar come since the SAAF museum still has 2 airworthy
I'm thinking there are a bunch of them sitting on the apron at FAJS. Mostly derelicts, but there all the same. Oops, just had a look at GE and they are at Harare instead of Jo'burg. The Zims may still be flying them if they can get parts. Seems like I also saw one at Vic Falls or Kariba.

mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Jake,

Am I correct in assuming that someone else has created the AI FDE for your JAI C-47 used in this release and that I can now scrap the JAI C-47 FDE that I have in process per your request?

Mike
    Mike M.
    aerogator

Post by aerogator »

:oops: Uh Oh. Mike I had completely forgotton that I had sent you this model. I remember now you were looking at it with a couple of others. Sorry about that. I know how much pride you take in your FDE's. They are the best. If you have something that works, I would prefer to use it but I don't want you to go to any extra trouble. I assume you are working on more pressing projects.

Thanks
    mikewmac
    MAIW Veteran
    MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

aerogator wrote::oops: Uh Oh. Mike I had completely forgotton that I had sent you this model. I remember now you were looking at it with a couple of others. Sorry about that. I know how much pride you take in your FDE's. They are the best. If you have something that works, I would prefer to use it but I don't want you to go to any extra trouble. I assume you are working on more pressing projects.

Thanks
    Jake,

Actually I have been taking a little break from my AI FDE work and all my other FS9 projects due to some real world activities that have taken precedence, but hope to get back involved with FS9 very soon.

I think I have an all but finished JAI C-47 FDE, but I will have to dust it off, test it and then send it along to you if it tests out OK.

As I think I previously mentioned to you, AI FDE's for tail draggers that give decent landings are very difficult to create and usually require compromises that I really don't like to make. I have run into a few tail dragger models where even with these compromises they still don't land very well. :(

Mike
      Mike M.
      james84

Post by james84 »

Coooool!
      Now we just have to wait for some civilian repaints and see them fly in some remote area of the world!
      aerogator

Post by aerogator »

@MikeMc: I'm sure any FDE you make will be excellent. I think everyone is familiar with the limitations of FS9. We all look forward to what you are producing.

Thanks, :)

PS check your PM
      f4nutter
      MAIW Developer
      MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

BIG thanks go's to Mike Macintyre for another faultless FDE, now this DC3/C47 looks great, and can be downloaded from my web site link.
      6 paints have been done 4 U.S/ 2 HELLENIC/ and the BBMF. enjoy :)

mikewmac
      MAIW Veteran
      MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Hi Ray,

Apparently and unfortunately I must have been working with an earlier and different version of the JAI C-47 model than you were and consequently the aircraft.cfg file needed some adjustments in the static pitch, contact points and light locations along with some other modifications.

I just completed these adjustments and emailed my JAI C-47 Skytrain v4.1 FDE to Jake and asked him to forward it on to you ASAP.

Mike
      Last edited by mikewmac on 27 Sep 2009, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
        Mike M.
        MIKE JG
        MAIW Developer
        MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Ray are planning on including the paintkit with the model with the latest version??
        -Mike G.

pgd
        Second Lieutenant
        Second Lieutenant

Post by pgd »

I just got this model flying around in my sim and wanted to say GREAT work to all involved! You truly are masters of your art and it is wonderful to see some old classics in the skies!!

Thank you to all for your efforts!
        f4nutter
        MAIW Developer
        MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

thanks for the heads up on the FDE mike mac, i will update the download ASAP.

mike JG i could include what i worked with in the download aswell :wink:

thanks for your comments guy's.

(ppssssstttt) theres more classic's comming 8)
        MIKE JG
        MAIW Developer
        MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

That would be great, I know some folks over at the AIG forums would appreciate it.
        -Mike G.