The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Nellis Air Force Base Package by MAIW: Part I

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Nellis Air Force Base Package by MAIW

Post by Joecoastie »

Yep ! Very clear.

Thanks, Steve. :smt006
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
flyboy
Major
Major
Version: MSFS

Post by flyboy »

Thanks Steve,

After resetting my scenery levels, I have all my scenery working including all my Alphasim bases. I wanted to keep using them until something better comes along. The way I got the Alphasims to work, I placed them below my Addon scenery layer with their AFCAD in the appropriate scenery folders.

Thanks again!
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Thanks, guys. It's nice to be able to help people understand the system, rather than just simply saying the answer.

Now, the key question that remains.
Is there anybody that still has problems with the afcad not showing up? Even if you mentioned it before , please speak up again because if there is a problem we would like to get it sorted. If nobody says anything we assume that all is well.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

You mean that you don't see any scenery, or you don't see any aircraft?
Steve
Ray_Merkel

Post by Ray_Merkel »

I don't know if anyone has experienced this problem: I can go to Nellis during the evening and daylight without any trouble. When I try to go there at dawn, it starts to load and then crashes to the desktop with no error messages. I have tried other airports (KSKA, KGEG) at dawn and it works ok? Any ideas as to what is causing this? I do not have any of the alphasim sceneries loaded on my system.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

BTW: Great Package! :D
Thud
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Thud »

Only a bare runway strip!
"He saluted us with something fighter pilots understand, a buzz job by the boss"
Jack Broughton - Going Downtown
supernova48
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by supernova48 »

I am having the same problem as Ray. Except I have been able to load the scenery at night and during dawn. However any attempt to load during the day has resulted in FS9 crash after about 58% load during terrain. I think I have removed all conflicting scenery, but I'm still trouble shooting.

Ken
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Thud wrote:Only a bare runway strip!
OK I am going to ask a stupid question here but can you confirm that you have activated the scenery folder and that you don't have another Tonapah scenery active on your system?

It sounds like either its not active or you have an exclude or excludes, higher up in your scenery list in FS9.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK, the dawn crashing thing we did have a couple of testers experience this, but I thought that we had got around this, apparently not.

I know that Mike has far more knowledge on ways around this issue, so if you guys can be patient Mike will address this or get you to do some testing when he gets back from Florida, which I think is after christmas.

EDIT
For those having this issue can you do me a favour and copy the MAIW_Desert_4.bmp texture from \Scenery\World\Texture folder and place the copy in your \Addon Scenery\MAIW Nellis AFB (KLSV)\Texture folder.

Then can you retry and let us know if it changes anything.

If this doesn't work then if you have or use procmon, can you see what the last thing called for by FS9 was before it crashed. Thanks.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

ardethomas wrote:Tonopah scenery from Alphasim was causing problems on Nellis in my set up and had to get rid from it.

I have no problems with MAIW Nellis pack.
Well now you don't need it anyway :wink:
Steve
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

Firebird wrote:OK, the dawn crashing thing we did have a couple of testers experience this, but I thought that we had got around this, apparently not.

I know that Mike has far more knowledge on ways around this issue, so if you guys can be patient Mike will address this or get you to do some testing when he gets back from Florida, which I think is after christmas.

EDIT
For those having this issue can you do me a favour and copy the MAIW_Desert_4.bmp texture from \Scenery\World\Texture folder and place the copy in your \Addon Scenery\MAIW Nellis AFB (KLSV)\Texture folder.

Then can you retry and let us know if it changes anything.

If this doesn't work then if you have or use procmon, can you see what the last thing called for by FS9 was before it crashed. Thanks.
I experienced crashes at dawn and dusk.

Copying the following files from \Scenery\World\texture\

Ground_Poly_Asphalt.bmp
Ground_Poly_Asphalt_LM.bmp
Ground_Poly_Tarmac.bmp
Ground_Poly_Tarmac_LM.bmp
MAIW_Desert_4.bmp
Nellis_Base.bmp
Nellis_Base_LM.bmp
Nellis_Golf_Poly.bmp
Nellis_golf_poly_LM.bmp
Nellis_Housing_1.bmp
Nellis_Housing_1_LM.bmp
Nellis_Housing_2.bmp
Nellis_Housing_2_LM.bmp
Nellis_Red_Ground.bmp
Nellis_Red_Ground_LM.bmp

into the Nellis scenery texture folder and

MAIW_Desert_Road.bmp
MAIW_Desert_Roadwi.bmp

into the Tonopah scenery texture folder

solved the issue for me.

(Copying all files mentioned above except the Ground_Poly.. files the scenery loaded at dusk but still crashed at dawn.)
Looks like a similar issue as with the West Coast ANG package.
Hartwig

Priller
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Priller »

Hi Folks,

well.. I´ve the same poblems like some other people here. At KLSV there is no visual shown up of the RWYs ( except the overruns ), TWYs and some apron polys.
At TNX my FS9 crashes while loading the terrain reaching about 51%.

I´ve deleted Alphasim`s KLSVs and TNX and checked if there is any double AFCAD. Nothing ! And as far as I remember there were no Mesh File coming with the Alphasim Sceneries. But I´m not quite shure.

So for now I guess I`ve deleted everything which could cause a conflict with the MAIW Nellis Package.

I put the KLSV Afcad into the KLSV/ scenery folder. Nothing ! Then moved it into the Addon/scenery folder. Same problem. I even deactivated my KLAS Scenery. It didn`t help.

Does somebody have any idea ? It would be the first MAIW package which does not work. And I have them all. :wink:
And the Nellis package looks fantastic :!: But I don´t want to taxi via the desert to a RWY which can´be seen. :o :?

Best Regards from Germany

Klaus
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi Klaus,
There is a tip from hawk_sh above about copying two textures into the NTTR scenery texture folder. Try that and see if it fixes it for you. Let us know if you wouldn't mind.

On the Nellis scenery front, have you checked slightly earlier to make sure that your scenery folders are in the right order? Also, can you check if you have the Alphasim Groom Lake or Fallon sceneries installed. We have had people with those activated report that Nellis is wiped out.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Gents,
If you try hawk's fix above and it works, we would still like to use you to find out why it crashes after Mike returns. So it may be a workaround we don't regard it as a fix. So let us know, by all means that the the tip fixes it for you, but we want to nail down a final solution before releasing the package outside of this site.
Steve
Priller
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Priller »

Checked !

I`ll try that out and let you know asap :!:

Best Regards
Klaus
Thud
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Thud »

Uh yes, well thanks to a little help from my friends I did find it. And I just didn't see it, hence the bare runway. Problem solved, though I didn't see any traffic at the moment I was flying around there. On the other hand, they didn't fly much at Nellis either. But pilots call it Red Flag........I call it amazing! Love what you guys did with the scenery!

Keep up this excellent work!

Best regards,

Arjan
"He saluted us with something fighter pilots understand, a buzz job by the boss"
Jack Broughton - Going Downtown
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Excellent, Arjan. Another problem solved.
Steve
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Hello everyone from warm and sunny Florida!

I hope everyone is enjoying the package so far. YES we know that it may crash on some setups. What we don't know is WHY? Even after all these years, we are still running into things that we cannot explain and this is one of them.

What we do know is that if you have a completely clean FS9 install, with no other addons, that this package will not have any problems. However we also know that no one has just a clean install of FS9. So it came to a point where it didn't make sense to hold this one up any longer trying to find the root cause of this issue.

My hope is that with more users now utilizing this scenery package, that we can piece together the common thing that those who are experiencing CTD's share. IOW what is it on some setups that cause the scenery to CTD only at dawn and dusk while on other setups, it is perfectly fine.

As an example, I have FS9 installed on a laptop that stays completely clean and only has a single MAIW package and the default FS9 stuff on it at any one time. I also have my main setup which has all kinds of addons, payware and freeware. This package is stable on both of my setups, what I like to call "clean" and "polluted".

That's why this particular issue has been so frustrating. It works fine for some and not so fine for others.

As Steve has mentioned already, you can try moving those custom ground textures included in the package into the local scenery folder that calls them. That might work for some. At Nellis, the offending file seems to be the one named "MAIW_Nellis_Infield_Poly_VTPP.bgl". It may be named something slightly different, I don't have it in front of me right now. But that file seems to be the last one that FS9 tries to load according to Procmon before the crashes. So you can remove that file and see if it stabilizes the scenery. However when you do that, you will lose the infield ground textures and it will revert to the land class that is beneath the base. For some of you, that might be ok, however others may have a city style land class texture showing at that point.

I CAN'T do a thing for you guys until I return home after the 1st of the year. If we still haven't figured this out by then, I can make that polygon call a default texture which seems to also keep it stable. But that doesn't look nearly as natural as the custom made ones which was the whole point in using them in the first place.

So for now, everyone enjoy the package and don't be giving away the location of the easter egg, that's half the fun! We hopefully will get a handle on this to where it works for 100% of the users. But for now, enjoy the holidays and have a wonderful new year which I am going to be doing with my family down here in a warmer climate from my home location.

Until then, keep trying different things on your own if you are good at this sort of thing. My personal opinion is that the scenery is not playing nice with another MAIW scenery that some of you may have installed while others do not. That could very well be the case. If so, we need to identify which scenery that is and maybe go from there. But at this point, that's just a wild guess on my part.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Kind of related to the runway issue and parking earlier, but not for the heavies. I had CHECK 31, F-15C 83-0027, 433rd, land on rwy 3R, taxi to the end of the runway and wait, until it expired, meanwhile further CHECK flights using 3R forced to go around. I have the 20DEC AFCAD installed, guessing no parking for him on the East side?

The Add-on Scenery issue was discussed in another thread, but I continue to follow the examples on here. Moving scenery priority within FS, I seemed to have moved something that FS doesn't like. I know it's not an AI issue, as both the FS freeze and CTD happened while online in MP, just wanted to verify that others scenery issues are causing this with your set-up, no warnings just dump to desktop or freeze. My issue is not related to Nellis AFB, everything seems fine dawn-day-night-dusk.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Trim_tab
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Trim_tab »

hawk_sh wrote:
Firebird wrote: ....

MAIW_Desert_Road.bmp
MAIW_Desert_Roadwi.bmp

into the Tonopah scenery texture folder

solved the issue for me.
Interesting I don't seem to have those two bmp files anywhere ???

None the less I can load up @ "day, dusk, and night" with no problems... I can't load up straight to "Dawn"... but I can switch to "Dawn" after loading up @ "Dusk"