The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Restrictions for AI in FS9???

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
TH7448
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Restrictions for AI in FS9???

Post by TH7448 »

Hello

as my FS9 crashed during approach for KADW in the KRIC area, which never happened before (just black screen, without any messages…), I checked my FS9 using “Flusifix”. I tried a few times if this problem comes up again and so it was...
During the check for empty texture folders, “Flusifix” stopped checking at 10001 registered texture folders. But I have about double the number of texture folder in my FS9…

Is 10001 textue folders also a limitaion for FS9 or is it capable to handle more than this number?
I am just wondering whether I have too many AI Aircraft in my FS9 maybe causing this problem??

I also have lots of scenery in this area, as there is KRIC, KNYG (including HMX-1 airfields), KADW, KNGU, KNTU, KNHK, KDOV, but I could not find any problems with the scenerys...

Would be nice if someone could give me a hint for solving this problem!?

Cheers Tom
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Re: Restrictions for AI in FS9???

Post by f4nutter »

I had the same problem for williams town australia ywlm, what I did was to remove all my RAAF aircraft and there were no crashes so i added them 1 by 1 untill the sim crashed and i knew i had a bad texture file, recompile the said aircraft now all works fine.

the easiest way for you to start is set your traffic to 0 and see if the appraoch to KADW crashes, if it does then you have a scenery texture missing, if all is well then your looking for an aircraft texture.
hope this helps you, please report back with your finding's, good luck!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I would think that the limitation for scenery folders is not that of FS9 but more likely Flusifix. There have been other proggies in the past that hit limitations that their authors never thought would be hit. I can't say for certainty but I would be surprised if you are the first to hit 10000.

I would add to what Ray says. Try without any AI at all and see if it is stable. To do this you will need to move all your traffic files to a separate folder.
Once you have established that it is not the scenery. Then add back the first 50% of files and try again. If it crashes you know the problem is in the first 50% and you reduce it to 25% and try again.
If it works fine at 50% then add the next 25% back and retry.
This is the most time efficient way of narrowing down the problem texture(s).

I do hope that you are not a person that adds all their traffic into one traffic bgl, that would be a nightmare to diagnose.

Don't forget that it is not only aircraft based at an airfield that you have to worry about but also visitors or even ones flying nearby at the time of the crash. So using the same time and day that you get the crash every time is imperative.
Steve
TH7448
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by TH7448 »

Sounds good and the procedure makes sence to me.
I am going to try as you guys suggested an will see if it works.

Thanks for your help, I will let you know about the outcome.

Tom
TH7448
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by TH7448 »

It took me a little longer than I thought, but finally I fixed the problem.

I started, as suggested, with separation of the AI-Traffic. But that fixed not the problem even though I had no AI-Traffic installed anymore FS9 crashed.

So I started deaktivating the sceneries, which I assumed to cause the crashes. I found out that the KADW scenery (V2), which I am using for years now for my homebase, caused the crashes. A reinstallation of the KADW V2 scenery did not help...
Only installation of KADW V3 fixed the problem, at least for the eastcoast.

I checked the rest of my sceneries to and found out that I have the same effect at the northern westcoast aswell, caused by the Coupeville NOLF scenery by John Stinstrom. No deleting of single files or reinstallation helped to solve the problem, so unfortunately I had to deinstall the scenery.

At least it works now, but I would like to have this scenery back! Does anyone knows about theese problems with this Coupeville NOLF senery and how to solve it?

Tom
Jon
Major
Major
Version: P3D

Post by Jon »

Tom,

I seem to remember that John had a corrupt file in his scenery, but for the life of me can't remember what file it was.
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

His seasonal textures seem to cause issues now and then due to missing textures. We've had the same issues while testing a few of our packages that included John's sceneries, in particular on a vanilla setup. If you find that the sim only crashes during a certain season and/or during dawn/dusk, then that's a clear indication of this particular issue.

It's impossible to determine what texture is missing without John's help and even we always had a hard time contacting him. The only workaround is to disable the VTP file that's causing issues (most of the time the VTPL).
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

Greg wrote: 01 May 2017, 09:49 His seasonal textures seem to cause issues now and then due to missing textures. We've had the same issues while testing a few of our packages that included John's sceneries, in particular on a vanilla setup. If you find that the sim only crashes during a certain season and/or during dawn/dusk, then that's a clear indication of this particular issue.

It's impossible to determine what texture is missing without John's help and even we always had a hard time contacting him. The only workaround is to disable the VTP file that's causing issues (most of the time the VTPL).

I highly recommend using filemon to identify the missing texture(s).
It is described here: http://www.militaryaiworks.com/forums/1 ... on#p163044
It helped me several times to cure these type of crashes.
Hartwig

TH7448
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by TH7448 »

Finally I got the Coupeville NOLF scenery working. was a good hint to remove the VTPL file. I was flying out of KNUW and did TnG's for quite a while and FS9 was working stabil.
Actually I don't know what's missing whithout the VTPL file. It doesn't seem to have any impact to the senery or would it be necessary to get this file back?
Anyway, I hope it remains like this now!!!
Thanks allot for your help, guys!!

Tom
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

You're welcome. The VTPL files add terrain lines like roads and rivers. John S. makes heavy use of them to draw roads on his airfields instead of using taxiway lines in the AFD, but then often seems to forget which texture he associated with it. :)