The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Second HDD this year :(

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
sprocky
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Second HDD this year :(

Post by sprocky »

I've got a Samsung X20. In May this year I needed to exchange the HDD as I had serious trouble ("Operating system not found" or "hall.dll damaged"). I installed a 60GB Fujitsu drive and after some months the same trouble started all over again. I then avoided to shut the laptop down using the Standby mode. Unfortunately sound stopped working and I HAD to restart the laptop resulting in "Operating system not found". After several tries I could reboot the laptop (as you can see now) but I doubt it will last long. Anybody else experienced things like this?

Note: In the times before the problems occured I already used Standby mode mainly. Perhaps someone may find this information useful.

Thanks in advance!
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Jan,
I can only think of two experiences like this, but neither were on a laptop.
One is where the connector to the hard drive was not quite in or a bit loose. It results in an intermittent problem. The other is an impending HD failure. Two in one year would sound like a laptop problem to me.

The other thing that you could have is a boot sector virus, but I would doubt this because of the fact that its intermittent.

I would first check the cable connections to the HD, including the power one, if this looks OK I would contact either Samsung or the place you bought it from.
Steve
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Steve,

thanks for taking your time to reply.

I already checked connectors. One interesting thing I noticed was when I disconnected the HDD from the laptop for several minutes: in about 90% of the cases the laptop was able to start from the drive. In the rest of the cases it needed a second (or more) try to recover. Sometimes only the use of the WIN XP CD repair tool helped to solve this situation. I am afraid that one of this happened:

a) In May 2007 my laptop "touched" the ground. Not really sure if this could be the cause as it worked fine for about a year.
b) Got this laptop from a colleague who installed a new HDD. Unfortunately this one broke as the connector was connected to the HDD by 180°. But still: the new HDD worked for about one year. Could this have damaged the controller in a way?
c) Usually I just switch the laptop into standby mode instead of completely off. I do not know if this could be the cause.
d) Overheating. I use this laptop to fly in FS. I noticed pretty high temperatures when flying. I remember exchanging the HDD on my wife's laptop after almost burning my fingers while touching the housing where the HDD was installed.
e) Virus? Hm, my scanner is up-to-date and never noticed any viruses.
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)