The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Compression of obsolete files

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
james84

Compression of obsolete files

Post by james84 »

Today I used Windows' disk cleaning utility in order to have some more space: I gained 8 gigabytes and now there are 30 free gigs!
Does this affect FS2004's performances positively?
35yerth
Cadet
Cadet

Re: Compression of obsolete files

Post by 35yerth »

It will help the overall drive performance, if only marginally. It will affect FS performance positively if you have a defragmenter that can do the folder/file name thing.
james84

Post by james84 »

Ok, thanks for your answer. Tomorrow I'll run a defrag with Win utility too. Or could you suggest a better one?
35yerth
Cadet
Cadet

Post by 35yerth »

You're welcome. ;)

Basically, avoiding gaps in data, esp. big ones, will improve FS performance as well as that of windows.

The windows defrag utility is VERY basic, although it can defragment a USB drive.
If you want serious performance improvement, you'll need one that can actually order the files on the drive, as opposed to just bunching them together.
There are several offerings but the one I use is UltimateDefrag from disktrix, it allows you to choose the level of ordering you want, from simple alphabetical to completely custom and from the root to any folder . It's relatively cheap compared to the others and I'm quite happy with it so far.
Last edited by 35yerth on 07 Oct 2009, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

The best defrag I have come across so far is Ultimate defrag, but it is payware. you do get a 14 day trial run before you buy, although I'm not sure if all the extras are enabled. Another Defragger (payware) that I have used and found pretty good was O&O Defrag. As far as freeware products Auslogics disk defrag is not too bad.

Pete
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Defraggler, from those nice people who brought you CCleaner, might be worth a try. Its free.
Steve
james84

Post by james84 »

Fantastic!
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll download something tomorrow morning when the PC with FS will be available (my bro is using it wight now)!
james84

Post by james84 »

Got but Defraggler and CCleaner... cool stuff! I already removed 800 megs of rubbish and I'm doing a serious (and tedious) defrag... in one hour, only 11% defragged, but at least will do better than MS!