The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

V-22 Osprey

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Re: V-22 Osprey

Post by petebramley »

Such a large project you have taken John, I'm sure we can all wait until you are satisfied. What we have
seen so far looks very good. Thank you for your great efforts in enhancing our hobby (obsession).

:D :D
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

I am pumped up beyond recognition knowing the V-22 is coming, but I can wait.
I still have a bunch of Alpha Sim Osprey pretending to be AI and flying around with their nacelles either up or down connected to flap settings.
I know that's sort of crazy, but I have lived with it for a few years now.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Wrapping up the HMX-1 portion of the project, and you just know we couldn't just leave things alone...

We got bored with the default FS9 pentagon building, so it got spiced up a bit:

Then we went for a tour of the National Mall:

And found a new place to park our helo:

If you want to know more about HMX-1, I found this great video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfi1sO07_4Q

V-22 package officially suffering from Mission Creep :lol:

Here AI capable/Landable scenery locations that have been put together for the two parts I have made for John:

MCAS Futenma: Includes MCAS Futenma, Silver Flag training location and three forest clearning type LZs (LZ Hawk, FIrebase Jones and LZ17). I highly suggest also getting the Ie Shima scenery from the Download Hangar since it's heavily utilized from Futenma

HMX-1: Quanitco, Anacostia Helicopter Facility, The Pentagon, The White House, Camp David (only the helicopter landing area due to security concerns) and Andrews AFB HMX-1 landing area. You'll need the MAIW Andrews AFB package for the scenery at Andrews.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Loving the new scenery.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

As a staff member you hate project creep, but as a user you gotta love it!
Steve
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

Looks great so far. I am looking forward to the HMX-1 traffic.
This might be a question for another forum, but I am curious to know how to best keep AI out of restricted airspace.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Where do I find the HMX1 Sea King, does it come with a flight plan?
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

flyerkg wrote:Looks great so far. I am looking forward to the HMX-1 traffic.
This might be a question for another forum, but I am curious to know how to best keep AI out of restricted airspace.
In simple terms you can't as the FS series ATC engine does not include restricted airspace.
AI aircraft fly from airfield to airfield. The only way that you could avoid airspace is to create waypoints around an area you want all traffic to avoid and then you would have to manually change all flightplans that would fly over that area to go to one of the appropriate waypoints and then on to their true destination.
That for some people would be such a momentous task that they would not even contemplate it. The side effect would be that you would have all altered aircraft doing approaches at the waypoints which would get to look weird.

You have to remember that MS never imagined that AI would become such an important add-on to various users. The AI options that we see today are only possible due to the collective smarts of modellers, xml coders and some downright ingenious people.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

John, the HMX1 Sea King hasn't been released yet. Brent will include it his package when we are set to go with the Ospreys.

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks John, looking forward to it :)
John

andrea81

Post by andrea81 »

Is HMX 1 sea king still in service ?
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I think it was used when Obama visited the UK recently.
John

clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

andrea81 wrote:Is HMX 1 sea king still in service ?
Yes. The VH-3d are currently slated for replacement from 2017 to 2022, but I wouldn't expect to see the new aircraft flying Presidential lift missions for the first few years of that time span as they will need to wait for enough to be on hand to fly the President and decoy flights and there will be a considerable workup time to perfect operations and transportation.
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

Firebird wrote:
flyerkg wrote:Looks great so far. I am looking forward to the HMX-1 traffic.
In simple terms you can't as the FS series ATC engine does not include restricted airspace.
AI aircraft fly from airfield to airfield. The only way that you could avoid airspace is to create waypoints around an area you want all traffic to avoid and then you would have to manually change all flightplans that would fly over that area to go to one of the appropriate waypoints and then on to their true destination.
That for some people would be such a momentous task that they would not even contemplate it. The side effect would be that you would have all altered aircraft doing approaches at the waypoints which would get to look weird.

You have to remember that MS never imagined that AI would become such an important add-on to various users. The AI options that we see today are only possible due to the collective smarts of modellers, xml coders and some downright ingenious people.
Steve,
Thank you for the response. I understand the limitations. Also, I will apologize for the rhetoric and sidebar to the HMX-1 discussion.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

No problem.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Update on the situation with FSX having worked on the conversion for a couple of hours now.

It's very much as I thought. The tilt-rotor animation works fine for taxi and flight. Unfortunately however, the animation for 3 of the parked options that work in FS9, doesn't work at all well in FSX:

That's because of the Nav light operation timing in FSX, previously discussed. Without that, the animation is triggered only at engine start. With engines down when parked, the spinning rotors cut into the ground before departure. When the Osprey returns to the parking spot the blades stop in a random position - sometimes down into the ground. The xml code to fix the still rotors in the same position when static, doesn't work at all in FSX. I've therefore abandoned the additional 3 parked options for FSX.

However, I am using static models with rotors folded in the Miramar hangars:

FS9 definitely scores with animation - it's much easier to do and it's more versatile because of the Nav light trigger 15 minutes before departure.

Back to the conversion..............

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

It does seem strange that they would remove some very useful features. I can see them altering how you action various states but removing them doesn't make sense to me unless it was the case that civvy aircraft would never use the functionality. That being said why go to the trouble of removing something.
Steve
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

John,
Even if we only have one version, it's still going to be fantastic! Can't wait to get them bedded down at FSX Hurlburt.

Cheers and Happy 4th,

Reggie
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'm not sure Microsoft even knew the value of the Nav lights coming on 15 minutes before departure in FS9, at least for civilian and commercial aircraft, which is really the scope of FS9. I bet users weren't that fussed either, even if they had noticed it. I guess it wasn't until people here at MAIW discovered that it could be used as an xml trigger to close canopies on military aircraft, apart from 15 minutes before departure and 15 minutes after shut down, that it became really useful.

Microsoft also dropped stock part names in favour of part name tagging when moving from FS9 to FSX. I can't see why they needed to do that. It's a real pain, particularly on a 4-engine prop aircraft with 5 pairs of wheels.

John
Last edited by John Young on 03 Jul 2016, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I'm so glad I stayed with FS9 ;)
John