The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

A-10 Thunderbolt II

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: A-10 Thunderbolt II

Post by John Young »

Fantastic Gary, great find and thanks. I'll be sure to include it.

John
jetmax
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by jetmax »

Garysb wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 08:30 https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A3552A4

Nice new paint job John

A U.S. Air Force A-10C Thunderbolt II assigned to the 127th Wing, Michigan Air National Guard, outside the Air National Guard Paint Facility in Sioux City, Iowa on August 3, 2017. The Aircraft is painted with non-standard markings in order to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the Red Devils of the 107th Fighter Squadron. U.S. Air Force Photo by Master Sgt. Vincent De Groot 185th ARW PA/released

Gary
That is AWESOME!
Scott "Jetmax" Jones
The Virtual Air National Guard
Ask me how to join....
http://www.flyvang.org/
lewis
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by lewis »

Out of topic here, but, has anybody mentioned the CT- 114 Tutors from the Canadian Snowbirds Aerobatic team? This is one of the missing teams that I guess many of us would like to see in our skies. Again, just wondering here. Lewis
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Wow. Lewis, that is so left field that is over the big green monster. :lol:
Steve
lewis
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by lewis »

Couple screens shots of the flyable model.
Attachments
Canada Snowbird CT-144_1.jpg
Canada Snowbird CT-144_2.jpg
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I have no immediate plans for a CT-114 model Lewis, I don’t know if anyone else has, but if the discussion is to be continued, please start a new thread.

To put this thread back on track, I can declare that the texture sheet design and mapping for the A-10A is complete and has been applied to 4 FS9 base models. I have opted for 4 load-out variations – clean, training, combat and ferry. The A-10C models will have the same variations, although with modern stores. The paints shown below are representative of the Alconbury-based 509th and 511th TFS's, plus the CO’s aircraft with the nose art:

The screen shots are with Dxt3.bmp’s in FS9 - the FSX/P3D versions should look even better with DXT5.bmp’s. I added xml nose wheel steering yesterday, which is really suited to an aircraft with a nose wheel of this size. The inside of the crew ladder door is also mapped to a high definition part of the texture sheet so that art work can be applied. I don’t have reference images for the Alconbury art work, but Brent has permission to use a really good collection of examples for the A-10C versions. Here’s a sample fictitiously applied, just for today, to 79219:

This is the 600 gallon fuel tank plus two MXU-648 Cargo pods on the Ferry version:

Next job is to make the LODs for the A-10A FS9 version. That will then form the basis of the conversion to FSX/P3D native code for Ian’s RAF Alconbury. I can then make the A-10C models from those source files. Some small changes to the airframe will be necessary, the pilot will have a new JHMCS helmet and the paint will be changed to ghost grey/gunship grey of course.

John
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Wow ! Great job John. Congratulation, and thanks
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

Looking good John!
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: MSFS

Post by Woogey »

2017-8-12_21-27-33-180.jpeg
I just stumbled across your new A-10 model as I was looking for an ACG post. I wanted to ask the question: if their was any possibility that the Twin bases might get a slight refresh of the photoreal to more closely blend with ORBX England?

John and Ian, Thank you so much for the great work you do! I am very appreciative that you guys had the fore-site to compile your models for FSX. I have since moved on to Prepar3d V4 with its long awaited 64bit system and I am never looking back, I love it! What makes it all the better, is JYAI all work just fine, Woohoo! The only thing I have had to do, is recompile the flight plans to P3d4 standard using AiFP.

Unfortunately, none of the other authors FS9 MAIW files work. No buildings show, nor the aircraft.

I can't wait for the A-10's as I am trying to fill up England and Germany with mid to late 1980's USAFE bases. Love your Strike Eagles John, but my copy of Lakenheath has a lot of Aardvarks running about. Anyone know of a good FSX/P3d ready Bitburg, or Spangdalhem?

Sincerely, -Woog
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Woog. I can partly answer your first question - I believe it is Ian's intention to revamp the Twin bases for FSX/P3Dv4 with new photo-ground. I think that will be compatible with ORBX, but I'll let Ian confirm that. I will also be painting up the new A-10s for the 81st Fighter Wing to replace the models in the original package.

John
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

Looking very good.
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

Firebird wrote: 08 Aug 2017, 13:05 Wow. Lewis, that is so left field that is over the big green monster. :lol:
LMAO :smt006
Mark
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

I'm not sure if you want to bother with this but the A-10's front canopy has a pronounced gold tint to it as seen in this image.

-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

I need to research that since the Hawg is sans radar. Very noticeable on F-16s and EA-6Bs for obvious reasons, but then the Growler doesn't have it.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Mike, I can't say that I had noticed it before, but then I have been concentrating on the A-10A which has clear Perspex in the front canopy. However, you are quite right about the A-10C and having just looked at all my photos of that type, they all have the gold tint. I'll see what I can do with that.

John

PS: the gold tint has worked fine. I won't post a screen shot just yet, I want to move the A-10C models/paints along a bit first.
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Not familiar with what the gold does.. feeling a little ignorant..

Jon G
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Not sure it matters on the Hawg but supposedly it helps to prevent radiation (thing radar waves) from passing through the canopy and reflecting off of all the stuff inside.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
phantomfreak
Major
Major

Post by phantomfreak »

Good thing I saved all my retro A-10 files.
Bazinga!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

You know Jason, I was thinking about that the other day.
Steve
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by rocket_26_ »

Hello

John kindly sent me the FSX coded A-10s to test. Here are a few screens in P3D V4 at Alconbury.

They look amazing and hard to believe they are a AI model. The animations look nice too.

Cheers

Ian